Southeast PA and Delaware AKers

TJLitt

Having settled into the new digs north of Wilmington, Delaware, I want to throw the doors open to you all. It will be nice to be able to host you all, without everyone having to trek up to Berks County. Is there a date, preferably a Saturday, during early to mid December that works for most of you? Please, PM me and we'll see if we can do a holiday get-together. Otherwise, I'll aim for January sometime. Let me know!!

Maybe the weekend after Thanksgiving, or the weekend following that? Also, is that invitation exclusionary of folks from the other side of the ditch? I'm about 30-40 mins from Wilmington, depending where at and traffic.

Maybe the weekend after Thanksgiving, or the weekend following that? Also, is that invitation exclusionary of folks from the other side of the ditch? I'm about 30-40 mins from Wilmington, depending where at and traffic.

invite people from Jersey? Geez, no, we have to maintain SOME standards!:D

seriously, if and when I pull this get-together off, you are more than welcome.

What would the plan be? Do you have a big area where different people can set up their stuff?

Lee.

no, Leesonic, we would be confined to my house,which has a dedicated listening room, but probably poor conditions to hook up a bunch of systems. I have in mind more of a meet and greet, BS session and some listening to what music ya brung sort of event. I might even feed you all......

How about a swap meet area? The last two of these I went to had a lot of bartering going on.

Would love to try and make one of these but chances are I'll be working. I take off during the week in order to go to school. However, if something does come together I'd play it by ear. Wilmington isn't far away. Hell my buddy used to live there. Not a bad drive.

How about a swap meet area? The last two of these I went to had a lot of bartering going on.

hmmm. I can look into that possibility, or possibly the usual suspects from West Chester area can chime in with suggestions as well.

no, Leesonic, we would be confined to my house,which has a dedicated listening room, but probably poor conditions to hook up a bunch of systems. I have in mind more of a meet and greet, BS session and some listening to what music ya brung sort of event. I might even feed you all......

Oh... I always envisioned these things would take place somewhere where there was either lots of space, or lots of rooms. Kinda of like the HiFi shows I used to go to back in England, these were held at big hotels. Each manufacturer would have their own "room" where you could listen to their wares. Some manufacturers would pay and have bigger rooms.

I have two Kenwood KA-7100 amps, one re-capped, and the other original, we could have done a blind listening test to see how they sounded. I actually have a third one, I'd like to do a re-cap and then replace all the resistors with metal film, and see if that sounded better. I'm in the process of doing this to a NAD 3020, I could have brought that as well. And the ten pairs of speakers I currently own...

Lee.

the one I attended last year consisted of a get together a the host's home, a lovely place. While there was some swapping of cartridges and between phono preamps going on, mostly the afternoon consisted of audio talk and listening to different source material both of the host's, and brought by the varied attendees.
I have no facilities that I would wish to set up as listening rooms beyond the main listening room I have, and while that one is decent sized, I suspect the setup of the room might not lend itself to any sort of array of gear.
I suppose different groups and different folks do these get-togethers differently, and it's all good, the way I see it. View my offer as more of a holiday season get together with similarly minded audio-obsessives!:yes:

You are welcome to put together the fest however you want. I'll try to make it.

Guys are looking for a table to set stuff on so others can dicker about the price and the seller can go home with gas money and the buyer gets to haul a chunk of gear home for the holidays. No need to make that area available, but if you can... Not something to hook up bunches of stuff, just piles. And remember since we discuss this here prior to the event, the gear can be nicely displayed in the back of whatever vehicle it arrived in, just like a drug or weapons deal. Always good for the neighbors to see a large group of guys pouring over stuff in the trunk and money changing hands.

If you are willing to let any gear swapping in your main rig happen, cartridges, phono stages, speaker wire or whatever, let that be known. If you don't want that, just have us bring software to listen to and let us know if you want that to be CD, vinyl, cassette or reel to reel.

It is your event and we'll be happy to play by your rules if you are thinking about feeding us. And folks don't mind hauling something to nosh on, so ask if you want folks to bring stuff.

As for multiple rooms with gear, that is for the collectors to show when they host the events. It is not like I can hide what I own well enough so that folks think I have only one system. There is enough gear here to make it hard to have many people show up at one time to enjoy it. But there are those who have hosted events just recently that shall remain nameless that have both the rooms and the gear to keep everyone in awe of their collections.

Guys are looking for a table to set stuff on so others can dicker about the price and the seller can go home with gas money and the buyer gets to haul a chunk of gear home for the holidays. No need to make that area available, but if you can...
I do have a folding table my wife used for craft shows down the basement, which would be a snap to set up. Thanks for the suggestion.
Not something to hook up bunches of stuff, just piles. And remember since we discuss this here prior to the event, the gear can be nicely displayed in the back of whatever vehicle it arrived in, just like a drug or weapons deal. Always good for the neighbors to see a large group of guys pouring over stuff in the trunk and money changing hands.
even better, no real visibility of the back of the driveway to neighbors at this house! Gotta admit I laughed hard at your analogy. Come to think of it, the mindset is sort of similar.

If you are willing to let any gear swapping in your main rig happen, cartridges, phono stages, speaker wire or whatever, let that be known. If you don't want that, just have us bring software to listen to and let us know if you want that to be CD, vinyl, cassette or reel to reel.
would prefer not to do radical stuff, but if someone has a cartridge they wish to mount in a standard style removeable headshell. I can even provide one of my Tonal shells, and I can play with the Phonomena and get loading,etc, dialed in. Now, if someone wants to lug, say, a pair of Magico or Sonus Faber floorstanders down, I'll oblige them hooking them up, I suppose....:D

As for software, I can do vinyl, CD or SACD with no problems. Bring it on... that, to me, is at least half the fun. I love opening my ears and head to other folks' musical favorites.
It is your event and we'll be happy to play by your rules if you are thinking about feeding us. And folks don't mind hauling something to nosh on, so ask if you want folks to bring stuff.
I was thinking that I could do wine, beer, tea and coffee, complemented by cheese, crackers and maybe some spiced shrimp if I get the urge. I'll gladly accept anything anyone wishes to arrive with and plop it onto the dining room table.

As for multiple rooms with gear, that is for the collectors to show when they host the events. It is not like I can hide what I own well enough so that folks think I have only one system. There is enough gear here to make it hard to have many people show up at one time to enjoy it. But there are those who have hosted events just recently that shall remain nameless that have both the rooms and the gear to keep everyone in awe of their collections.

no collection here, Blue...just the main rig. I envy some of you out there in terms of what you all have at your disposal. I, on the other hand, have a frugal spouse, and multiple expensive hobbies.:yes:

Now folks, WHAT DATE WORKS?
I'll put up the following possibilities that will work for me:
Dec 1
Dec 8
Dec 15

if none of those work for enough folks, I'll explore January sometime!
Tom

the one I attended last year consisted of a get together a the host's home, a lovely place. While there was some swapping of cartridges and between phono preamps going on, mostly the afternoon consisted of audio talk and listening to different source material both of the host's, and brought by the varied attendees.
I have no facilities that I would wish to set up as listening rooms beyond the main listening room I have, and while that one is decent sized, I suspect the setup of the room might not lend itself to any sort of array of gear.
I suppose different groups and different folks do these get-togethers differently, and it's all good, the way I see it. View my offer as more of a holiday season get together with similarly minded audio-obsessives!:yes:

Just to make it clear, I meant no offense to your original idea. I have no experience of going to any of these things, just the kind you mentioned. You are very kind to open up your home to a solder-slinger and crazy speaker-foamer like myself (others can choose this cap if it fits). It would be good to come along to something like this, I'll have to see what I'm doing on those dates given.

I see... a convoy from South Jersey... :eek:

Lee.

I think I'm OK with any of those dates, though I had tenative plans with Blue_Shadow to help him out with some gear somewhere around those times.

Anyway if a date is finalized, I'd certainly be up for bringing something, be it food, beer, supplies, whatever. My cooking skills involve ramen noodles, spaghetti, hot dogs, and frozen pizza but I can shop for and transport items with relative capability. I have been known to assist Betty Crocker with producing baked goods of average quality though.

Just to make it clear, I meant no offense to your original idea. I have no experience of going to any of these things, just the kind you mentioned. You are very kind to open up your home to a solder-slinger and crazy speaker-foamer like myself (others can choose this cap if it fits). It would be good to come along to something like this, I'll have to see what I'm doing on those dates given.

I see... a convoy from South Jersey... :eek:

Lee.

heck, no offense taken. Your comment merely gave me the chance to clarify what I was after with this event. Convoy away! Any preference as to which of those three weeks?

I'll gladly accept anything anyone wishes to arrive with and plop it onto the dining room table.

Tom
OK so you are filling the dining room table with stuff folks bring to contribute. I guess I can work with that.

You are very kind to open up your home to a solder-slinger and crazy speaker-foamer like myself (others can choose this cap if it fits).
Lee.

But if he has the dining room table covered with provisions, where are we going to sling solder and spread glue for speaker foam? I know my dining room table has a pile of gear and tools on it right now. Fortunately gadget is helping me get gear off the projects list and back in service.

I think I'm OK with any of those dates, though I had tenative plans with Blue_Shadow to help him out with some gear somewhere around those times.

Looks like we'll just do this in Wilmington if we can get that dining room table.

Ah not really, I don't usually open gear at one of these functions. Well, except for that tape deck at Rick's. Hope that is starting to go back together and the new belts are on it.

:lmao:

ok, Blue, let me clarify(damned if I'm not doing a lot of clarifying with this bunch.....). The dining room table will be limited to the following technical
items:
Wine
Beer
Coffee
Cheese
Crackers
Shrimp
...and whatever other FOODSTUFFS you all wish to bring.

I will unfold the display table in the basement to save you folks doing furtive deals out of the car. Leave solder guns and other weaponry outside.:D

Oh I know, just letting folks know that a dining room table is great real estate for working on gear if TOWMBO is not around or expected for a few weeks.

Esoteric Mike, who would like to attend, indicated the 1 or 8 dates are best for him. I'll car pool with him it being such a long drive of 20 minutes or so. Finally, one of these that isn't a few hours away.

Back
Top Bottom