It's the Fall New England FrankenFest time coming up on Saturday October 25th

I may have a Sansui QRX-9001 or 8001 quad receiver to bring for listening. I'm working on both and have the 8001 pretty much up and running and the 9001 on the way. Should I bring 'em both and have Octaphonic in one room? :music:

I'll try to plan for February. Just got snow tires for my Miata so the drive will be less suicidal.

A Miata with snow tires... that's either the definition of optimism or the definition of non sequitur. Not sure which.

;-)

EDIT: John... as a New Englander (yes, even near the coast) you really ought to have a spare vehicle... like this...

DSC_9242 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Last edited:
You say that like a little snow would cause any trouble.

DSC_3138_zps604f33db.jpg~original

I drove it all last winter on summer tires. Every trip to the store was something along these lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PJlMz15mM

Miatas are so well balanced, with the right hardware, they can go anywhere.

18dpu9u9sbu7hjpg.jpg

I sure miss my Mazdaspeed MX5....

I came really close to buying one in 2000 when I bought my Focus ZX3 -- the only reason I didn't... with two (still fairly young) kids, the nominal back seat of the ZX3 was a value-add. The Miata met my other criteria (cheap, economical, fun to drive) in spades at the time.

Truth be told, I wanted one from the moment they came out. As I recall, the original Miata was available in the US in (only) three colors -- red, white, and blue :)

As an aside, the ZX3 served me incredibly well -- I passed it along to my daughter & son-in-law in 2011... and they still have it. It's fading, but they still use it regularly... and it still has its original clutch! My daughter is hell-bent on getting it to 225,000 miles (it's at about 220k now). She told us a couple of weeks ago that it's developed an interesting new problem... the driver's door won't open from the outside any more :p (It does, apparently, still open from the inside, though).

I drove an SVT Focus on a road course once. Another VERY capable car. Engineered at Ford Germany along with the the SVT Contour (which I owned and loved and raced). Both engines were tuned by Porsche, the SVTs were hand picked off the assembly line in Detroit, engines were hand built and signed. Those were the days!

The Miata is the only car I've ever driven that felt more like a good shoe than a car. It's just sort of attached to you instead of being this big thing you're piloting down the road.

We're a Mazda family. All vehicles are Mazdas.
I took a '92 Protege to 248K miles and then sold it. I think I was just sick of driving it.
They get the center of gravity of the car right and the driver/road feedback thing right. Not too comfy, not too stiff.

Last edited:
The Miata is the only car I've ever driven that felt more like a good shoe than a car. It's just sort of attached to you instead of being this big thing you're piloting down the road.

Exactly. More like an extension of your body than a car.

Our own forum room - nah, we should post here in the general area so that folks around the country can be inspired.

I just talked to Frank and we're on for Saturday February 28th for the winter event.

:banana: on my calendar! I pray the wife doesn't have something planned I don't know about. You know how that goes.

I'll bring something to demo, maybe the LST's, or the 3's again. Can't wait!

Last edited:
baco99,
The best sounding space I've found for intimate sounding systems, not outright stadium scale sound, is that alcove I used last Frankenfest.
It's to the right just after you exit the freight elevator on the second floor. You'll need extension cords, but sonically, that's the spot.

I suggest that you reserve that space where I was set up for your NAD/Outlaw demo and possibly the NAD talk . . . or have the NAD talk in the main hall.
I take dibs on it for you, but if you undib it, I'll take it.

Suggestion:
Take a phone picture of the layout before moving stuff around to set up the space for gear and listeners so you can put it back the same way later. It's not Frank's space or stuff there. I did that last time and didn't hear any complaints.

I shared this space with audiodon at the last fest, and if possible, maybe I could share it again with you guys. Could it be a triple dib?!

Back
Top Bottom