Is it worth it to upgrade CR620 > CA1010

Swollen Goat

I have a chance at getting a CA 1010 in good shape for $250. I am currently running a CR620 and am very happy with it. How much of an upgrade is the 1010 over the 620?
If it matters I use it exclusively for my turntable set-up which is an YP-211 all hooked up to my NS430 speakers.

Welcome! Well the CA-1010 will provide between 100-120 WPC depending on impedance and also run 20 WPC in pure Class A operation. It will handle 2 phono inputs plus a moving coil cartridge input, has selectable phono characteristics...

Thanks for the welcome! It sounds like it is a definite upgrade then. Is $250 (CDN) a good price for one? I am heading over later today to give it an audition. The seller says it is in pristine shape, what if anything should I be looking for?

At about $222 USD (the exchange), I'd be right on that one. I have a Ca-810 that I love. Yours is better. Ever see the 2010? :yes:

Look for the obvious, scratchy controls that need DeOxit, bulbs blown that wont light those pretty meters, etc. He is not going to let you dismantle it internally. When you get her set up, there is a thread called "Show us your Yamahas". Post a photo there. Before that, go to the New Members thread and introduce yourself to the excellent folks here. Incidentally, that unit can also be used as a stand alone preamp or a power amp if you so desire in the future.

I have, that is a monster unit! Same with the CR 2020, that still is my dream receiver! I will let you know when and if I get the 1010 after the audition later today.
Appreciate the help!

I have, that is a monster unit! Same with the CR 2020, that still is my dream receiver! I will let you know when and if I get the 1010 after the audition later today.
Appreciate the help!

Have you ever seen the CR 3020??? :thmbsp:

Let us know how you make out later. I say you take it, trying for $200-225 Canadian. But I'd take it at full price.

Update - I got it for $250, it is in great shape except no light from the LEDs in the meters or on the power indicator. As a bonus the seller was the original owner and still had the box,packaging and manual. He was an ex-DJ who put away his equipment over 30 yrs ago, so the 1010 hasn't seen the light of day for a long time!
I will get some pics later today and add them to the Show us your Yamaha thread.

In the meantime any help in fixing and/or diagnosing the LED problem would be greatly appreciated.

The CA-1010 uses lamps, not LED's. You can get excellent replacements from AK user dgwojo.

Congrats, big time. It gives you a lot more flexibility and unless your speakers are extremely inefficient you will be running in Class A virtually all the time.

Thanks for the correction, my only concern would be that the receiver sat dormant for over 30 years. The seller said the lights worked the last time he used it, is it possible that they would burn out even if they weren't being used?

Speaking of Class A vs class B, can someone explain in layman's terms the difference?

I am using Yamaha NS 430s with this system if that makes a difference.

First of all, welcome! You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.:music:

As for the difference between class A and B all I can say is class A adds a sublte richness and depth to the sound. I can't tell you what the technical difference is but it is the sound that matters to me.

I am currently waiting for my new to me CA 1010 to arrive. I paid more but it was serviced and had an LED upgrade (whether its an upgrade depends on your viewpoint) on the meter lights.

Unfortunately, we had a major water leak last night so it will be sometime before things get sorted out and I can get to hear it in its glory.

Last edited:
It is said that the capacitors like to used to keep them formed, so sitting for a long time is not the greatest. You may consider measuring the DC at the speaker jacks before attaching nice speakers to it. There is a sticky thread on that in the Solid State forum.
You can also read up the excellent descriptions of various classes of amp on here too. Lots of great write ups from experts. Caution do not switch between Class A and Class B with the unit powered on. It stresses the system too much.
Some hear a difference between Class A and others, but Class A generates tons of heat and is not as powerful for high volume listening.

Thanks for the correction, my only concern would be that the receiver sat dormant for over 30 years. The seller said the lights worked the last time he used it, is it possible that they would burn out even if they weren't being used?
Do light bulbs burn turn defective if they aren't used? I don't think so, but I've never used a 30 year old light bulb! Maybe they were "shocked" after awakening from their Rip Van Winkle spell of sleep.

That's a nice amp you have, you're sure to enjoy it. If you look up Class A you'll find lots of info.

Just got a ca1000 here and I love it - 1010 has the meters!

Contact dgwojo for lamps- as for the class A thing, only switch it to class A powered off! That's what blew up the one I have.

According to the CA-1010 and CA-2010 user manuals, you can switch the Class A on/off as long as you operating in the Class A range (>20 watts for the CA-1010). These amps use relays, not the microswitches in the CA-1000. Attached in a screen grab from CA-1010 user manual. See the note at the bottom. If this info is incorrect, please post an update.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CA-1010-ClassA.JPG
    CA-1010-ClassA.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 68
I have the manual and read that section, if I understand it correctly as long as the meters are at or below 20 watts then Class A will be functioning and beneficial. If it's over 20 watts it is no longer considered Class A and you may as well be running it in Class AB.
Correct me if I'm wrong, this is all new to me.

Back
Top Bottom