• Integrated

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • Seperates

Votes: 119 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tonyk

Let's try this again.

Due to the recent discussions about a high end seperates forum, I thought it would be nice to know what is the breakdown here at AK between Receivers, Integrateds (thanks Beercan), and Seperates.

So what do you use?

Separates! There is no collection of anything but unused/spare separates at my house. The only receiver I have (only one I've ever bought) is the Yamaha, I recently bought, in my bedroom system.

I voted Integrated as that is what I have used up to now, however my system will eventually be separates, as that is what I prefer, (funds allowing).

Some of us who buy vintage gear "on the cheap" (yard sales, thrift stores, Craigslist) will not pass up a receiver bargain, e.g., Marantz 2250, Realistic STA-2500, which I paid about $80 for each, including a tune-up. I've had these units in my rotation occasionally and they don't sound bad.

But I have very little interest in FM and am located in a semi-rural area where decent FM reception is limited to a small number of stations anyway. So I don't need a receiver. Currently, I have a Carver amp and pre-amp in the family room, which I've very happy with. I also have have a big Nikko power amp and a Rotel pre-amp as a backup, and am using a little Luxman amp (L-215 in my office).

The receivers have lots of cool lights (I also have an old Pioneer 3800 Fluoroscan somewhere in the garage), but once I got beyond the visual display, I couldn't think of any reason why I should use them rather than my separates. In general, I feel that my separates give me more control over the music.

Seperates (Thought I replied to this thread already :scratch2:)

You did, but because I've never owned an Integrated, I didn't think to include them the first time. Beercan reminded me and I wanted to be sure to include everybody so I deleted the first poll.

I went to a high end (for me) integrated in my main listening system and could not be happier. It simplified my setup, less cables, less gear etc. and if you ask me it looks damn nice :)
IMG_20150212_181832835.jpg

I am also using an integrated in my living room system (Exposure) but I will eventually go separates when I can find an amp to pair with my AI L3

Give me separates they have more options depending on what brand and what you buy and their features..

All three since I do a lot of swapping. I've never found a receiver or integrated that will handle my favorite speakers, so I'll probably always keep a power amp on hand.

I've never purchased a reciever (for myself), did inherit a Pioneer SX-1010 though from my father in law. Have many integrateds, my first system in 1976 was an integrated, but I also have many seperates. I voted seperates but I like integrated amps just as much for the simplicity.

Last edited:
Integrated for me.

Weeellll....technically I have an HT/Music hybrid system, so an AVR for tv/movies and an integrated with HT bypass for old school 2-channel music for TT and SACDs.

With that, an integrated is the 'goldilocks' choice for me as separate pre and power amps would be another box with another set of ICs and another power cord. I'm tight for rack space, so that makes a good quality integrated the ideal choice....for me.

All three. I havent had seperates running on their own yet but I'm getting there.

I buy it all. I won't pass up a good deal. Even if it doesn't fit in with my gear now, it will eventually.

Back
Top Bottom