What am I selling here?

This is an auction I ran recently. Would you please have a look and tel me what I am selling? If you think there is any ambiguity at all, please let me know. TIA.

It's a grab-bag. You might get one, you might get 30, you might just get the boxes.

I assume you are having an issue with the buyer expecting to receive all thirty rolls? Yes, there is some awkward wording, as part of it sounds a bit like all thirty are included... but, when the entire text is taken into consideration, it is pretty obvious that you only get one roll. You made some mistakes in your presentation, but not enough to lose a claim, if I were the judge.

Obviously your description says one roll, but you made a mistake not doing individual pictures. In the future, don't leave any room for error. The pic shows a bunch, and I can easily see someone thinking that they get all of them.

Looks like you are selling one roll. But it may or may not be in good condition. I am guessing the pic of the stack was confused with the sale being for all?

He called me a "shyster" and a "grifter". Plus, he said he should get "all 24 rolls", so that seems a bit telling as well. But I would never want to mislead someone or even make them feel mislead. Against my better judgment, I offered a full refund including shipping upon the return of the roll.

Can you be more specific about the mistakes in my presentation? I really don't want to go through this again. (BTW, two other buyers had no issues understanding what they were getting.)

"All of the rolls in the pictures are listed individually, this auction is for:

621 - Waiting for the Robert E Lee."

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Then I went into painful detail about combined shipping and seeing the other listings. I really don't get it.

I see record sellers constantly photo a pile of records. I've never heard of someone thinking they were getting the whole pile.

Obviously your description says one roll, but you made a mistake not doing individual pictures. In the future, don't leave any room for error. The pic shows a bunch, and I can easily see someone thinking that they get all of them.

More than just the picture, if you only read this bit, it sounds like the entire lot is included:

QRS Q.R.S. Player Roll Word Roll Player Piano sheets.
Most of these are in excellent condition, with only slight wear to the boxes but the rolls themselves being visually perfect (I do not own a player piano to test them on). Any noteworthy defects will be listed here.
I am listing all 30 seen in the picture.

Granted, you'd have to be a dummy to read that and not also read this part, but... people ARE dummies!

All of the rolls in the pictures are listed individually, this auction is for:
621 - Waiting for the Robert E Lee.

All of the rolls in the pictures are listed individually, this auction is for:
621 - Waiting for the Robert E Lee.

If you stop there it's fairly clear. I'd have said: All of the rolls in the pictures are listed individually in separate auctions. This auction is for the following individual roll No. 621 - "Waiting for the Robert E Lee".

The rest of your auction text may have served to compound the ambiguity.
I am listing all 30 seen in the picture. Please see my other listings.

To be more clear you could have said: "I am listing all 30 rolls seen in the picture in other individual auctions of one-roll each. Please see my other listings. This auction is for one roll only."

Still, you'd have to be an idiot to think you were actually getting all the rolls pictured.

This. One right pic = 1000 words.

As we all know, there is no process, on eBay, for screening out idiots to prevent them from bidding, until it is too late.

To be more clear you could have said: "I am listing all 30 rolls seen in the picture in other individual auctions of one-roll each. Please see my other listings. This auction is for one roll only."

Still, you'd have to be an idiot to think you were actually getting all the rolls pictured.

Okay, this I get. I can see that this wording is better. Thanks for your input.

I still don't buy that there was anything misleading about the picture.

The picture is what will get you. Better off a picture of a single, even the wrong single, than showing all 30. Actually I think it may be against eBay's photo policy to show that whole stack when you are selling just one. (EDIT, I couldn't find that it would be against eBay's current photo policy.) What's the value of showing 30 anyway unless they are part of the listing? If you are going to show a photo like that you need at the top of the description section in HUGE letters of a different color 'This auction is for a single role as described below'

Last edited:
As we all know, there is no process, on eBay, for screening out idiots to prevent them from bidding, until it is too late.

I appreciate that. I hate that someone on this planet thinks that I tried to rip them off. That is the farthest thing from my mind. I'd rather give them away than steal from someone. I've done hundreds of eBay transactions without a hitch and keeping perfect feedback.

H
Can you be more specific about the mistakes in my presentation? I really don't want to go through this again. (BTW, two other buyers had no issues understanding what they were getting.)

I understood what you were selling, but you do mix references to a single roll along with references to the entire pile, and the picture of all the rolls doesn't help. Things like this:

"Most of these are in excellent condition" and "I am listing all 30 seen in the picture." could be subject to confusion - either willful or honest.

A better listing might have had two paragraphs - one that speaks to the single roll in your auction and a second that speaks to the other 29 that are listed separately. For the auction, I would have put only a picture of the one roll in your auction. I think the picture was more confusing than helpful here.

That said, I think the buyer's reaction is over the top - he/she can be disappointed at his/her misunderstanding, but that's about it. If I were the buyer, I'd be satisfied with your offer to make things right.

Edited to Add: I see half a dozen others posted pretty much the same thing while I was writing this. Not trying to pile on, I'm just a slower typist than the others.

Last edited:

No more of an idiot than someone who takes a photo of 30 items, discusses all 30 items, then saying you are only bidding on one.

You're not dealing with rocket surgeons here - you're dealing with ebay buyers.

I think you were perfectly clear that the listing was for one roll and that you had the rest for sale individually.

I think this guy is trying to guilt you out of all of them for the price of one.

F him!

I had a jackass try to pull this on me-sold a tube-only pictured that tube- wanted a socket to go with it because it was listed in Ebays ''tube and tube sockets'' category-after getting a judgement in my favor from Ebay he was still whining-so I went through my junk box and found the nastiest ,crappiest socket I had which did NOT fit the tube he bought[which he would not return by the way for a refund]-wrapped it in an old gym sock-[unwashed] and sent him his socket.

JMO--if you are selling ONE ITEM in the auction, then ONE ITEM should be pictured.

In another of my interests (gemstones) I hate seeing a picture showing a pile of stones (often times identical stones as far as size and cutting) but the auction is for just one stone.

While I understand the intent, I wonder how many people think they are getting the entire pile (parcel) and are disappointed when they receive just one stone.

Again, JMO.

Back
Top Bottom