SEPAS - Southeastern Pennsylvania Audio Society

Mark - thanks for hosting. Had a great time. :yes: Was nice to meet Steve and see Keith and talk about our mutual obsession. Enjoyed being introduced to some new music and listening to your DIY amp & preamp. Nice work. :thmbsp: Am especially impressed with your LT-30 and am now "on the hunt" to find one for my system. Looking forward to the 'great cartridge shoot-out'.

Glad you guys could make it. That AT 33R Japan-only cartridge is something special. Need to get one of those.

Thanks Mark.

One thing about these get togethers we need to warn other AKers about is that they can end up costing money after the event. Although these are good for gear changing hands like the swap meets at the Mid-Atlantic Fests these smaller happenings might just have a single piece or two change hands. So nothing too unusual there. But the big issue is related to what we hear.

At recent events there have been folks that needed to find certain records, not bad cost-wise but these are usually records that need to be found at the used stores. The there is the more expensive decisions where one hears a certain component and must get one of those. We have had folks jump in for a phono preamp, cartridge (more than once) and discussion about needing a speed controller. There are more examples, too. Mark is a case in point. His system has gotten a lot better in the last year and he was very happy before.

So be careful all you AKers that are happy with what you have. When you go to these events, you never know who is bringing what and if it is going to put you on the hunt for one. A be careful what you wish for sort of deal. "Yes, I heard it, now I have to have one."

Yep. Putting that AT 33R in the system and leaving everything else alone (easy thanks to the bayonet headshell) made an immediate and substantial difference. Much fuller bass, refinement, sparkle, it was all there. And that LOMC rocked my D'mode 12" single.

Taking one more step up the chain to better sound is very rewarding, and it wouldn't be possible without our get-togethers.

So once I have a great cartridge on the LT-30, with Pass amplification into the Mirage omnipolars, where to go from there? I'm sure I'll find out!

Next time we'll have to try bi-amping your speakers. That sweet 30wpc of Class A on the top and a head-banging PP amp on the bottom. :yes: Gives this low-to-moderate listening level person a headache just to think about it. :scratch2:

Next time we'll have to try bi-amping your speakers. That sweet 30wpc of Class A on the top and a head-banging PP amp on the bottom. :yes: Gives this low-to-moderate listening level person a headache just to think about it. :scratch2:

I'm pretty sure I saw your foot tapping during the EDM portion of our listening day.

Bi-Amping sounds like a great idea. And if it works, maybe it will become a permanent part of the rig.

I'm pretty sure I saw your foot tapping during the EDM portion of our listening day.

Bi-Amping sounds like a great idea. And if it works, maybe it will become a permanent part of the rig.
Was trying to decide whether to go stand in the back of the room, or not. We did not do much 'discussing' during those couple of tracks. ;)

You could probably bi-amp using the Denon and see what you think. Doesn't it pump out about 80-120wpc? Give some flavor of the possibilities.

Gadget73....... the balance of the new caps for my SLI 80 should be here next week. Maybe we could test some of the old ones by the end of the week. I'll be in touch.

You could probably bi-amp using the Denon and see what you think. Doesn't it pump out about 80-120wpc? Give some flavor of the possibilities.

Interesting, it puts out 120x7. I wonder how I would wire it? The pass doesn't have pre-out or external pre-in direct to the power amp.

Don't know the Denon, but does it have a pre-out? If so, you should be able to feed the Pass with that. Generally, 7-channel amps are rated with only two of them being driven, though the spec makes it sounds like all 7. Just don't have enough power supply in one box to do 120x7 for more than a second, or so.

Interesting, it puts out 120x7. I wonder how I would wire it? The pass doesn't have pre-out or external pre-in direct to the power amp.

Its a DIY, add those items it is mostly just RCA jacks and wire.

Need an electronic crossover to divide the signal.

?? What's wrong with the passive crossover in the speakers? If it has four (4) input jacks it is design to be bi-amped and takes care of splitting the signal, sending the highs to top and lows to the bottom. No way you can by-pass that internal speaker crossover without getting inside the speakers. Wastes a little bit of energy as both amps are seeing the full range of frequencies, but not a big deal. Mark is welcome to borrow my Behringer external crossover if he wants to put it between his preamp and amp, but becomes pretty 'messy' with all the ICs needed to connect everything that way.

Oh and they do have 4 input jacks. The tops and bottom are connected with metal plates that can be easily removed.

Didn't know that the speakers were bi-wire/bi-ampable. carry on.

Know it would suck a little power but with the volume we got using the F5 full range and using that for the highs and something a bit bigger on the bottom, Mark should be fine for a while.

Last edited:
Didn't know that the speakers were bi-wire/bi-ampable. carry on.

Know it would suck a little power but with the volume we got using the F5 full range and using that for the highs and something a bit bigger on the bottom, Mark should be fine for a while.

Might be worth a weekend listening session...

Sounds good. I vote to do the 'cartridge shoot-out' at your place, as well (I'll bring another Bryston for the bottom end if that helps). Bigger room means there is a place to 'move back' to when it gets too loud. Can only take so much of that. Want to preserve my good hearing at the level it is. Just getting old does enough for hearing loss. ;)

It's been a year since the last post but is this group still active? I'm in Chester County.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a small get together last week! D: PM Blue Shadow about getting on the email list.

Back
Top Bottom