Survey: What have you paid for estate sale LPs and CDs?

What have you paid for Estate Sale LPs or CDs?

• 50 cents or less

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • 1 dollar or less

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • $2.50 or less

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • $2.51 or more

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KiM3Ce

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm curious:

At an estate sale you find a recording you want. I mean just estate sales, not brick-and-mortar thrift stores. Not rare, but in condition that is acceptable to you. Let's restrict it to purchases you have actually made. Exclude Direct To Disk, MFSL etcetera; just mainstream stuff. Rough categories:

1. Under 50 cents;
2. 51 cents to $1.00;
3. $1.00 to $2.50;
4. $2.50 and up.

Of course good stories or pictures of scores are welcome!
Please share your experience. Thanks!

Most estate sales I go to have records for $1.00 or less. I've picked up some nice ones for 4 for a dollar. A few weeks ago I bought two large boxes (120 records) for $10.00 a box. I have some photos in the Latest Editions (LP) thread from 10/31.

Estate sales can run for 2 or 3 days. If you go on the last day, you can pick up some sweet discounts. On the other hand, the records have been picked through pretty well by then.

Depends,
some sales ask $5 for Klaus Wunderlich - no,
some ask 50c for os pressings - yes please,
all depends on the desirability to me, but $2 is the most I have paid for vinyl.

I voted #1, but to be clear, as part of the biz I typically buy the WHOLE estate as I am able to move the weight (literally) and volume (no pun)

All of the above.

Yep.

It depends on what the recording is. A buck a disc is the usual, but if they are high, like $3.00 per, and I find something I like in NM- or better, why not??? I think I've paid $5.00 a few times, but that's a rare occurence for something I think is special.

FWIW, nobody can ship you an LP for less than $3.00, so even that "high" price is a steal if you have something minty in your hands.

I paid $0.25 for a RL LZ II and another $0.75 for a three LP set of Georges Enescu performing Bach Violin Partitas I sold for $118...

Last edited:
Some of the previous answers don't seem to address wether they come across something mega rare or desirable.
Recently I paid $250 for about 40 albums and a handful of singles but the guy knew he had some desirable items and I was willing to barter for a price.
Most people price their records in the $1 to $2 mark but some want $5 for Burt Bacharach:thumbsdn:

This week - $1 each. I am LOVING the Art Tatums BTW!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20141201_073907.jpg
    IMG_20141201_073907.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 169
The last estate sale, (professionally run), wanted $4.00 per CD, (no LP's), no thanks. The last privately run estate sale I was at wanted $1.00 per LP, (no CD's). Picked up 2 Harry Nilsson Lp's, WattStock, and a Tex Ritter LP.

The estate sales I go to ask for $3 each, even on volume the first day. I've stopped buying but I would if I found something I was really looking for.

Back
Top Bottom