Dual 1229 - A bit of noise

Bob_in_OKC

Addicted Member
I just noticed that while my Dual 1229 turns it makes a bit of a chattering noise that reminds me of an old electric clock. It is totally consistent - doesn't come and go, and doesn't change. Maybe it's coming from the plastic cam wheel? Anyone here know of a lubrication point that might address this?

Great table, used to have one. Did you know it will play stanging up on its side if the arm is setup properly ?

Anyway, alot of Duals had a problem where the motor would continue to run forever as the linkage to the power switch froze up with gluegrease. You didn't say 1229Q, which I had I think and it has a strobe. If it has the power switch problem you would notice the strobe staying on. If it doesn't have a strobe the motor might be al worn out from running for decades non-stop. You CAN turn the bearings aroiund if you can't find any or have them made, but it is not a perfect solution.

One thing to really look at is also the idler. Yup, they got idlers. They can get hard over the years and make a racket. They are also damaged sometimes becasue the platter is so heavy. There could literally be a pieece of it missing but the platter's mass keeps it turning snoothly enogh that it works fine.

But with noise.

There are not all that many moving parts except when the mechinism is rejcting or something. Motor, idler and platter. Only other thing is maybe the reject trip (velocitrip ?) hitting, but that would make a noise the the platter's rotational rate.

When you pull the little ring that holds the platter down you will be able to inpect the idler. Also, you can turn the unit on and stick your ear down there. This will surely tell you what is bitching in there.

When you reinstall the platter, put the unit in between speeds and rotate the platter clockwise as you drop it on the shaft to save the idler. I am surprised any of those idlers are any good considering the weight of the platter.

In fact I leave the retaining ring off so that when it is moved the platter can be removed. I think it is a hell of alot safer for the whole unit that way.

if the idler.. probably in luck online.

I would suggest you're mounting surface, insulation from vibration and audio cables or inspect all audio path cables. If there is an internal rca board that may be generating emissions.

If phono might need a new needle or clean it.. same with cleaning some disc systems.. Maybe just shut it off for few hours.

Just saying if you haven't inspected stuff for awhile.. worth a check on the better equipment and speakers. That maybe as simple as a person who doesn't run half the stuff the amp is capable of.

e.g. I have two denon units I know for sure the owner never played a record through.. (I hope it works lol)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. To clarify - I'm hearing a mechanical noise from under the turntable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first guess is a dry motor bearing (s). Or dry idler . When was the tt last serviced, do you reckon?
Anyway, I would pull the platter and get the motor to run on its own..see if the noise is still there, if not, put the idler against it and see if the noise appears.
Its a good place to start anyway.
The cam is only for the auto function (arm movement). Only thing that stays on full time is the motor and related platter motion stuff.
If it turns out to be the motor, you can go to VE, theres an extensive writeup there in the library concerning the motor, relube, etc.

Last edited:
My first guess is a dry motor bearing (s). Or dry idler . When was the tt last serviced, do you reckon?
Anyway, I would pull the platter and get the motor to run on its own..see if the noise is still there, if not, put the idler against it and see if the noise appears.
Its a good place to start anyway.
The cam is only for the auto function (arm movement). Only thing that stays on full time is the motor and related platter motion stuff.
If it turns out to be the motor, you can go to VE, theres an extensive writeup there in the library concerning the motor, relube, etc.

That made perfect sense. I don't know why I suspected the auto function. So given that, I removed the platter, plugged it in, started it up and listened from the bottom. It's coming from the motor.

I suspect this turntable hasn't been serviced in decades, if ever. It was stashed away for a very long time. I got the writeup. It advises actually opening the motor. I guess that will be a job for another day.

Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom