DCM Timeframe TF400

HiFi in WYO

The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.
The posts on these are somewhat dated. Though I need speakers like I need a another wife, it seems these may be worth a listen.

What's the going rate? This is the pic of the pair for sale.

11027986_1590305157912629_3213433459876988700_n.jpg

They are a great set of speakers. Averages are $50 to $100 a pair. I got two different pair and picked them up for less that that.

$50 is a good rate for TF400s, tho I prefer the higher number in the series (TF600 - TF700, etc) because they play lower in the bass range.
The TF600 is perhaps the more magical due to the rear facing tweeter - really gives a sense of space!

Hmmm. Guess there's thinking to do. May offer a bit less. Worth a few bucks to play around with but I'm not sure where I would put them. Still, opportunities don't come around here often.

$50 is a good rate for TF400s, tho I prefer the higher number in the series (TF600 - TF700, etc) because they play lower in the bass range.
The TF600 is perhaps the more magical due to the rear facing tweeter - really gives a sense of space!

The TF400 II also had a rear facing tweeter. My pair of TF400s is the original w/o the rear facing tweeter, but if you look at the owners manuals available on vinylengine you will see the difference in the model numbers.

I got mine at GW 2 yrs ago at haven't had them in rotation for over a year.

You do need to bring them out from the wall 2 or 3 feet to give them room for the sake of imaging, they do "image" very well.

Wayne

Looking at the picture of the back, it doesn't say anything about II, just TF400. Looks like just a rear port.

In reading some of the old threads, people said they like lots of power. At most, I'd be running my Yammie 85 wpc but more likely would be my old Akai at 55 wpc. But hey, a couple Jacksons ain't going to break the bank.

For that money you won't be disapointed. I have a set of these and they work great for 2 channel AV watching concerts.

You're right. Picked up for two Jacksons. A bit dirty, but one owner, the cloths are in good shape. Hooked them up to my Akai AM 2450, H/K cd pkayer and popped in Steely Dan Aja. Very pleasant speakers. No tin, no sense of anything but clean sound. Bass is good too. I would call them a score. Just unhooked the OLAs. Never thought I would put those on the shelf.

Nice!! Its a different kind of listen, but brings a nice space to the music!
Sounds like the price was great, too! $40 for TF-400s?? NICE!

I think Time Frames are the best deal going. People won't pay near their actual value, so they sell for next to nothing.

Sold the 1000's because I couldn't hardly move them around by myself, just too big and odd shaped with the socks. Those little 400's sound fine.

Is there a way to remove the grills? These are kind of filthy. Good shape but need to be cleaned.

Is there a way to remove the grills? These are kind of filthy. Good shape but need to be cleaned.

The top should pop off if you hammer it upward (use a piece of wood or something between the hammer and the top so you don't mar it). Quite a few pics and threads out there on the timeframe series. "Whatever happened to Steve Eberbach" is probably canonical - more geared to the time windows, but plenty of info on all dcm stuff and you'll lose a year of your life if you read the whole thing through :)

Edit: OH! and if you try this before you go looking in said threads, DO IT IN THE GARAGE. There's lots of yuk (deteriorated layer of foam) under the cloth. You'll want to probably want to replace that too.

Last edited:
I removed the tops and bottoms of the TF600s I had.
I used a small block of wood and a hammer, and with a little tapping to the left,
then a little tapping to the right, I slowly worked the top caps up and off ...

On mine, I stripped the black paint off them, sanded a bit and turned them to a dark woodgrained finish ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• DCM-Cap_5851.jpg
    DCM-Cap_5851.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DCM-cap_5850.jpg
    DCM-cap_5850.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 16
Great. Thanks! I really like the look of the natural grain. Much better than all black!

Bottom up causes less stretching and tension on the cloth. If your foam is in good shape you will be lucky. If it isn't you will have a gritty black mess to clean up. Put down some newspaper just in case.

After a weekend of sampling jazz, the Doors, 3 Doors Down, Metallica and about everything else in the collection, very impressive! These speakers seem to handle all genres very well. If you find a pair, buy them. You'll be glad you did!

Yes. Every DCM I have had the pleasure to audition has impressed. As you said, they do everything well.

Steve Eberbach captured some magic in the DCM line!

Back
Top Bottom