Opinions on the JBL D51 Apollo's?

RDSChicago

Hi, a friend of a friend is selling a pair of these which look to be in very nice shape. I am getting more and more into tubes. I have a nice 25wpc tube integrated with 300B's. First, are these great speakers? If so, would this amp be compatible? I also have a 60wpc CJ power amp. Thanks!

The jbl model is c51 apollo - sound classics has them listed wrong - the ones I sold a year ago were the same with perfect lattice grills - the lansaloy was original on the woofers and it hardens - see if they have new surrounds, it will improve the bass a bunch - they will run off pretty much any amplifier , tubes especially

What do they use instead of lansalloy for replacement surrounds? How do these compare to others like the Altec Valencia's? Is the pair at Soujds Classic well priced? Thanks!

Rob, those are pretty cool looking speakers with some serious lattice. I imagine they would sound very good with your tubes. :yes:

cubdog

Thanks Ross. I want to buy one cool quintessential pair of classic highly efficient speakers to play with my 300B or CJ amps. Right now I am using Focal 807w bookshelves and they sound eerily good. They seem to separate each instrument and voice in a well recorded song so the whole equals the sum of each of those parts, if you know what I mean. The question is would I find an older classic high efficiency speaker like these JBL's or perhaps Altecs or Tannoy's to be even more of this blooming quality my ears seem to enjoy so much? Based on these characteristics, what are good suggestions? I was going to try some Klipsch CF4's available locally but then found out they were not the first series so I never went to listen to them.

I would expect more palpable, deeper bass from the Apollos, than the Valencias. I had a pair of Valencia 846Bs with 416-8A woofers, then 416-8B woofers, and I could never enough deep bass from them to make me happy. On the other hand, I bet the Altecs are more efficient.

Last edited:
I wish I've heard more of the old classic speakers. Don't forget about Bozak. They seem to get a lot of favorable reviews when paired with tubes.

cubdog

Just a thought. Saltwater has some Bozak Concert Grands for sale, if they are still available. He's in Davenport Iowa. They are pricey, and of course I have no idea what you budget is, but thought I'd mention them anyway.

cubdog

The Apollo's are nice. They are great with tubes that's not an issue and will sing with the CJ. They came with a lot of variations on the Horn and woofer. D-130 with the LE-185 Potato masher or, some like I had came with the LE15 and a LE85 Horn. I'm going by memory but I may be wrong. I wouldn't say they would do a better job than the Valencia's it's just a matter of what you like. If you can get the Apollo's for under $1K your doing real well if they are in nice shape. They will have to be refoamed if they have the original surrounds.

Let's add one more speaker into the mix. How would the Apollo's sound compared to Cornwall II's with all of the Crites upgrades?

I have a pair of Apollo cabs loaded with D130s and 077 tweeters. They do very well with 3-5 watts. I'm currently using them with a 10w Magnavox. They love the 35 WPC of my ST-70 and I'd bet your CJ would really make them shine.

I've read on AK that the 12" 123a might be a better match for that cab but I'm happy with mine they way the are. :yes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Apollos.jpg
    Apollos.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom