Fried Q series FOAM PLUG?

cnh2

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of FOAM you could use to replace the rectangular but square ended plug that fits in the vent of Fried Q series speakers. I have a set of Q2s that have foam plugs that are on their way out. They still sort of fit, but punch up the sound and they start to puff out some and move around--the plug is falling apart as foam will do.

Was hoping I could get something at a Home Depot or the like. Don't want to search far and wide for what seems to be unremarkable foam made to use in a vent?

Thanks!

cnh2

I don't profess to be an authority on these, I just have a pair of Q2's. I had to refoam and replace the foam plugs as well as some cabinet work. The original foam plugs had all but crumbled to dust and I recalled that they could be tuned a bit by changing the density of the foam. I used an open cell foam of approximately the same density and size, just cut a bit larger than the opening so it would stay in place. I'm quite pleased by the sound of them with my home made plugs. The foam I used was a a packaging material that came in large squares. It's white, the original was black. I don't think you could go wrong in trying most any kind of open cell foam. It's just a damping material. Depending on your room environment, there's no harm in trying different amounts and densities of foam to get proper response. Enjoy your Q2's, I love mine. They are a rare bit of audio history and quite good.

I did the same thing with a pair of As. But I spray painted the visible side of the foam -- just a light coat -- to look a bit more like the original.
I had a very early pair of Qs, bought at Silo in Bryn Mawr PA just after they came out. Eventually replaced them with a pair of TLS 50s. The Qs were a very good speaker, though the tweeters were a bit delicate -- the friend who bought them from me fried several of them before Fried suggested replacing them with something more durable -- granted, the friend played them very loud with a dubious quality amp. But be aware that the tweeters are close to unobtanium nowadays.

Thanks to everyone above!

This A/C stuff looks perfect. And I'm pretty sure we have an ACE around here somewhere. Exactly what I was hoping for!

As far as the tweeters. They seem to be in pristine shape and I never PUSH things too much. Will probably run these off a vintage receiver with good power. Or a Sansui integrated or NAD?

Have to go find some!

cnh2

I'm in the process of the same thing. Replacing both woofers and then replacing the transmission line foam. As I understand it...a lighter density foam will enhance bass? Others here and on the Polk site have told me that "Bub" Fried often recommended experimenting with different densities of foam to alter the bass. I've a set of the first model Qs.

I'm in the process of the same thing. Replacing both woofers and then replacing the transmission line foam. As I understand it...a lighter density foam will enhance bass? Others here and on the Polk site have told me that "Bub" Fried often recommended experimenting with different densities of foam to alter the bass. I've a set of the first model Qs.

The various model Q's use resistive line tunnel loading of the driver which is an aperiodic design. They did not use 1/4W T-LINE loading at all.
The foam that was used is a low density, not high density polyurethane foam for the damping material.

Thank you for the links...they helped. Here's something that I posted over on the Club Polk forum. (I was searching for woofers for my Model Qs...because one was replaced years ago and it changed the speakers for the worse.) Finally found a fellow selling his Model Q3 woofers and I quickly snatched them up.

"Received my woofers today. Installed them basically without incident, though I forgot the gasket on one. (May replace it later...but to my ears, it hasn't made a difference.) They were basically a "drop-in" but tight fit. My bride and I spent the last hour and a half listening to various CDs and making remarks like "I never heard that so clearly before" and "Do you hear that piano?" "I mean, DO YOU HEAR THAT PIANO?"

Positives: They sound much clearer than when they weren't matched woofer units. They obviously look better. The "old sound" is very nearly back. They actually sound a tad "bright" but that is probably due to the speaker's setting. I've got them set on plus rather than neutral or minus...may need to reset to neutral. Or then again, the new clarity may be revealing flaws in the recording since they aren't "bright" across the board.

Negatives: The sound is a touch "forward" if I'm using the term correctly. Treble and midrange seem to dominate slightly and reach your ears first. (Again...resetting to neutral might address some of this) I plan to experiment with changing the foam out in the "transmission line" port (though the Qs aren't "true" transmission line speakers.) I'll also experiment more with placement in the room.

I'm not much for all the audio "buzz words" and don't know a lot about things like in phase sound, forwardness, etc. I just know what sounds good to me. My Frieds have basically been restored to what I remember as their original sound. I could have bought a pair of Monitor 4s for ten dollars less, or traveled 3 hours round trip and bought a pair of 5jr+ for the same money. However, this satisfied my urge to tinker (for now, at least) and also spoke to my "vintage" and "restoration" mindset.

The really bad thing is...now I'm considering other projects....(wink)"

I might do that down the road, once I gain a bit of confidence in my abilities. Plus, as I understand it, the Frieds use a non-typical series crossover? Got to study up and find out what that means. Somewhere down the road I might upgrade the tweeters also...using the original company in Denmark. Right now, I'm pretty new to this stuff so am a touch cautious each time I tackle a project.

Back
Top Bottom