The strange things we find in speakers

cubdog

banging through drywall
This thread is inspired by baco99's wood pellet discovery in his DQ10s.
I recently replaced a temporary center channel I was using in my basement workout system. I had been using a single ported JBL bookshelf for the center. Why I'm not sure as I had two unused centers available for duty. Anyway, when I swapped the centers I notice a strange rattling coming from the JBL. What I discovered was about 40 little dog biscuits. I'm sure a mouse was responsible although I found no dropping or any other evidence of mice in the speaker or in the basement. The biscuits are stored in a sealed Rubbermade container on a shelf 5 feet of the floor. :scratch2:
So, what strange and unusual finds have you guys made?

cubdog

Cerwin Vega D7 re-foam. I found crayons and small plastic kid's toys in the cab.
After the re-foams were complete I had the cabs facing the wall to keep the cats away from the grills. New kitten went missing. Found him inside the cab looking out the bass reflex port! 10 min before he decided to crawl out.....

Years ago I picked up a set of big old vintage wood filigreed cabinets with visions of Altec, JBL, EV or other fine vintage DIY installs inside. It rattled a little bit when I carried it, but no big deal.

When I pulled the backs at home, I found a set of EV 7B 8" two way speaker systems, yep, cabs and all, stuffed inside the larger cabs. To keep the EVs from rattling about the "engineer" had stuffed all sort of whatever at hand inside. Mainly wadded up newspaper and cardboard roll cores, but I did find a couple T-Shirts, some swim goggles and several .357 Magnum rounds...

Really..:yes:

Years ago I picked up a set of big old vintage wood filigreed cabinets with visions of Altec, JBL, EV or other fine vintage DIY installs inside. It rattled a little bit when I carried it, but no big deal.

When I pulled the backs at home, I found a set of EV 7B 8" two way speaker systems, yep, cabs and all, stuffed inside the larger cabs. To keep the EVs from rattling about the "engineer" had stuffed all sort of whatever at hand inside. Mainly wadded up newspaper and cardboard roll cores, but I did find a couple T-Shirts, some swim goggles and several .357 Magnum rounds...

Was he storing them or did he somehow play them that way?

cubdog

I found a pair of NAD tower speakers on the street which sound very nice.
I pulled one of the woofers and found a small bong and a zip lock bag with cigaret tobacco!

Cerwin Vega D7 re-foam. I found crayons and small plastic kid's toys in the cab.
After the re-foams were complete I had the cabs facing the wall to keep the cats away from the grills. New kitten went missing. Found him inside the cab looking out the bass reflex port! 10 min before he decided to crawl out.....

I wonder what the kitty would have done if it was fired up.

Was he storing them or did he somehow play them that way?

cubdog

Oh, they were in use that way. :yes: There was a gray wire hooked to the EVs passing through the back of the big cabs.

My daughter is using the EVs at college and they work just fine, but the big cabs are long gone.

Whoever left you that baggie of, er, tobacco and a bong didn't even have the decency to leave you a bag of Cheetoes or something? See an attorney, I think that may be actionable in civil court.

I found dandelion wisps inside the cabinet of my 104/2. Well, it was pretty obvious how it got there, but why? I'm not sure on that.

That is amazing!:yes: Did you take a picture? I would have loved to see your face when you took the back off! Most I ever found was some cockroaches inside a large speaker and a marble inside a subwoofer that I thought was trashed, Sounded fine with the marble out.

This isn't really 'strange' but I thought it would be appropriate for this thread

I recently got my A-7's back from my brother after he had borrowed them for a while. Yesterday I was listening to them and noticed one of the speakers would buzz during certain bass notes, and under closer examination I determined it was coming from the woofer itself. I unmounted the driver and checked around the suspension for loose debris, and made sure the baffle was free of splinters before reinstalling with a 180 rotation (just in case the woofer/vc was sagging).

Still buzzing! :grumpy:

I decided to take another look; this time I inspected the back of the surround and...WHAT'S THAT??
attachment.php

After a careful extraction:

attachment.php

A tack had found its way into the driver and became glued to the suspension resin. How it got there remains a mystery but the buzz is gone! :D

...I've never found anything like "tobacco" or ammunition inside a speaker though, that's pretty strange.

Attachments

• IMG_20130524_111825_112.jpg
    IMG_20130524_111825_112.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_20130524_112215_848.jpg
    IMG_20130524_112215_848.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 832
I found a pair of NAD tower speakers on the street which sound very nice.
I pulled one of the woofers and found a small bong and a zip lock bag with cigaret tobacco!

Opened up a TimeWindow 1 a while ago and found a hot wheels car, some candy wrappers and a full pack of Easy Widers rolling papers. :smoke:

Nice litter box!!

Back
Top Bottom