Tag sale stop becomes audio FREAKIN HEAVEN!! A few Pics.

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
On my way to Home Depot, I see the sign for a tag sale and make the short detour. Nothing in the driveway except a pair of AR2a's for 5.00 bucks! Of course I grab them. They are all original except for the grill fabric. I'll replace it later.

I get talking to the guy saying I'm interested in some tube stuff if he has anything reasonable. "Come with me". He brings me to his basement, and the walls are lined with old gear on shelves. Boxes stacked with thousands of tubes, huge speaker enclosures, probably some Altecs he thinks. He has a near mint pair of early KLH Six's which I passed on, already having two pairs. He wants 80 for them. I may go back, they were so nice.

He then brings me into another room that's like a museum! In two corners are those Altecs that fit in corners, mint! A 1/2 dozen Gramaphones, an Thomas Edison phono player from 1913 that works! My tongue is now dragging along the floor!
Wait there's more! He brings me upstairs to another room stacked wall to ceiling on two walls with tube gear. On the other side of the room, are two massive JBL's that have all the Paragon drivers in them, powered by a Mac 275 tube amp. It looked like he had at least 3 or 4 of those. I'm now about to start bowing to this guy. He use to sell gear back in the golden days in lower Manhattan and has been a collector for at least 50 years.
So here's some pics of the AR's and his amazing collection.

Glenn

The JBL's.

Last edited:
Did he have to push you out of the house?:scratch2:

The wife had to pull him out because people were in the driveway buying other stuff and she needed his help. He would have had me in there another hour easy!

We exchanged numbers and we'll be in touch for sure. What a gold mine!

Gave the AR's a quick listen and as I expected, no sound out of the mids or tweeters. Spinning the pots made no difference. Gawd, I have a new project!

These will wait until my amp & pre amp project is completed.

Glenn

There's a copy of Rush - Power Windows by that green chair, or else it's a poster of the album cover. I like that record but it seems anachronistic in that room! :)

Amazing how much WEIGHT that top shelf of gear is holding, with just 4 shelf brackets! (3rd from the bottom pic)

OH MY! That is amazing. I sure would like to be you. I am pretty sure you may be able to score a new project or 2, or 3, or 4......, you get the idea. What a gold mine.

And this is a PERFECT thread to link to for every thread that asks "How do I find vintage gear".

WOW is the best word to describe this collection. I bet he has a zillion great stories to match all that wonderful gear.

Holy frigging crap....

If he's selling any of those Fishers, buy one... I spy a few receivers and a sweet-looking integrated.

And are those Barzilay Altecs or Barzilay JBL's? The cabs are sweet.

Offer to re-roof his house for free or something along those lines... You want to stick close to this guy... NYC was a hi-fi mecca back in the tube era. Fisher was somewhere around there, Long Island probably, as was BIC, Wharfedale and Garrard's North American distributor. And Jersey and Boston yielded much hi-fi fruit as well. So, NYC was THE place to be. You had the big audio shows, including Wharfedale's big Carnegie Hall demonstrations. In the words of Henry Hill, "it was a GLORIOUS time."

Back
Top Bottom