DACS In AVR's....

SWL3600

How do DACS that are in AVR's compare to the outboard DACS that get a lot of attention in the last couple/few years?

Thanks,
-Scott

From what I can tell, there is not a single answer to that question. The quality of the DAC/analog output section in various AVRs ranges from bad to quite good. The best outboard DAC units should outperform the best built-in DACs...more likely as a function of the corresponding analog output section than the actual DAC chipset.

The quality of DACs in AVRs is as variable as the quality of standalone DACs. I've owned some higher end Denon AVRs that reportedly had very good DACs in them.

The one in my Marantz sr19 sounds great and rivals a few outboard I have used. I'm sure it varies from avr to avr but the higher end flagship receiver's seem to sound better than budget models as one would expect.

My guess is most AVR's have decent internal DAC's. Like metal420 said, It likely depends on the quality/Price of the AVR. My 2001 Onkyo 575x has a decent DAC. Honestly there is no reason they can't at least sound presentable, even in lower priced models ($500).

I just bought a Tiny $60 outboard model to use my Blue Ray player with my vintage receiver, And it sounds WAY better than it has any right to. I'm sure it's vital parts could be installed in an AVR at the factory for 20 -$30 or so.

The DAC's in my two AVR's and my Onkyo integrated amp sound better than the DAC's in my disc players (CD, DVD, Blu-ray). Peace and goodwill.

Good ones I have come across:

Marantz SR-18
Yamaha RX-V1
Denon AVR-4800

Can't say how they would compare to standalone DACs but they are clearly quite good, fine for great sound on desktop systems and probably many main systems.

I don't have an answer to OP's question, but going from there, I love my Denon AVR-3805 and it looks like it has some of the better DACs available out there (16x Burr Brown 1791). I'm guessing that I wouldn't really benefit from having a stand-alone DAC between my Denon and anything else, right?

Yes, I know, my ears are the best test; I just wouldn't want to spend money for zero benefit.

I think the only direct comparison I made in that regard was between a Benchmark DAC-1 and my Anthem AVM 20 (v2) processor. I think the Anthem compared quite favorably. Admittedly though, the Anthem processor isn't/wasn't your run of the mill AVR.

Back in the day the Anthem was a $3k processor. Today you can probably buy one for $300, give or take. I think it would make a great preamp for someone with a digital-centric system. Even the fully analog bypass modes are pretty good as long as not looking for a specific tonality/voicing.

Back
Top Bottom