Twisting smaller gauge speaker cable together?

Plenty of capacitance. Hopefully your amp is stable into a capacitive load.

I've measured cables I've braided and they weren't unusually high in capacitance. It all depends. A capacitance meter is your friend.

My daughter made these for me out of I believe 22 or 18 awg silver clad copper. 8 strands per conductor.

They sound wonderful.

Thanks

Eric

I'm a contractor, so we often get "leftovers" from job sites. One time we had spools of unused CAT-5 network wiring to dispose of. Gave it to a friend that was experimenting with speaker wires. He fabricated speaker wires out of braided CAT-5, sounded pretty impressive.

Those look awesome! What did you terminate them with?

I haven't put any terminals on as of yet. I'm waiting for some affordable silver banana plugs to come on the market. For now they're just stripped and twisted.

Thank
Eric

Salute Sunbeam.

That's what I'm going to do someday. Silver clad, multi-conductor. I have a short pair now, as jumpers between my stacked speakers. Silver does improve the sound, IMHO.

I just twist mine. I wish I had a daughter who could braid.

:nono:

I read an article on speaker wire a few years ago talking about different monster cable, twisted pairs ect. The writer of the article stated he was a big fan of RS brand 16 gauge copper hookup wire. He said the copper content was very high for inexpencive hookup wire. And when two lengths were twisted together that it out performed many of the higher priced audio cable he tested. Reading this thread made me remember it.

I have several sets of cables from the 16, 14, and 12 gauge RS high strand count clear coated wire. I was surprised there has not been any green creep. I used their gold plated see to end including flat pins and open spades. Using them on various speakers has proved interesting. On some no noticeable change, others an improvement and on others loss of either high or low end extension. When I first got the wire I was rebuilding a set of speakers and wired the woofer using the wire figuring the original wire, 18 gauge could be limiting. Got it all buttoned up and yuck!!! About that time we moved and the speakers still need to be pulled apart. With such varied results, I.went back to 14 gauge zip. I still have the RS cables but almost never used them.

Back
Top Bottom