Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Best ever was a Marantz 1180DC in mint condition with the box. $20.00

A few days layer I found a Marantz 2100 tuner for $15 and some JBL L112s that only needed a refoam for $20.00.

I think they all came from the same donor. This was at a time when the new manager thought anything in silver was outdated junk. Sadly tons of silver faced gear went straight into into the recycle bin.

I got "something". Someone screwed up pricing this older Bose Wave System. They looked up the price for the AUX deck only, which is about $55, so they slapped half of that on there and threw it on the shelf. Little do they know they didn't check the model number on the radio itself, otherwise I don't doubt those jerks woulda put $99.99 on it like they seem to do with EVERYTHING in my store.

Here it is, ~$28 after taxes, haven't tested the CD player yet though. It's alright, might be worth selling. Need to buff the display though it has a few marks on it.

Edit: CD player works very well.

I got for free an early different version (this one I think) and use it as a clock radio in my bedroom. I called up Bose and ordered a remote control for it for about $15 delivered. :yes:

I got for free an early different version (this one I think) and use it as a clock radio in my bedroom. I called up Bose and ordered a remote control for it for about $15 delivered. :yes:

Same as mine, just black, sans the completely overboard Aux In deck. Like it already has one Aux in. But oh no you can have three?! Seems a bit excessive for a micro system. What's funny is I told myself it wasn't going to grow on me, but it has, can't beat the price/sound ratio in this case :no: Better than the $3.99 Zenith Circle of Sound roll clock I got in December(which still needs to be fixed).

Last edited:
I suppose if one of those inputs was Phono, it could be a pretty nifty mini system, but you are right. With radio and CD what else would I run through it but my phone or iPod? It actually sounds pretty good and has some neat features like the automatic display dimmer plus I like the remote as I can keep it near my pillow.

Crappy sound card on PC?

HDMI audio doesn't experience a lot of compression on some formats, also, the receiver is using it's DAC instead of the one that is on the sound card, assuming youre using analog.

Crappy card = crappy DAC and compression.

Last edited:
I generally wouldn't touch a piece of equipment with water damage,but this unit is functional..haven't hooked it up yet,but $20 to see what an Elite sounds like?Why not?
Update:super clean inside and sounds beautiful!

Attachments

• 100_9374.jpg
    100_9374.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_9377.jpg
    100_9377.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
HDMI audio doesn't experience a lot of compression on some formats, also, the receiver is using it's DAC instead of the one that is on the sound card, assuming youre using analog.

Crappy card = crappy DAC and compression.

makes sense - the crappy sound card at the font end cant be fixed by better components downstream. Probably also explains why music sounded better on my dinosaur Mac than my new PC. I'm still figuring out how all this works. Nice thing about thrift store is that you can try things with minimal investment

It's like a trip to the 90's but my TV and Streaming media rig sounds much improved for little investment.

10406720_10152692134357817_6956882718114704517_n.jpg

I found a whole bunch of vintage jazz today, just under a buck each with a student discount. I think I grabbed 17-20 and left some that were a bit too rough for my taste.

I generally wouldn't touch a piece of equipment with water damage,but this unit is functional..haven't hooked it up yet,but $20 to see what an Elite sounds like?Why not?
Update:super clean inside and sounds beautiful!

That'll buff out. :D

Great score.

I recently picked up a nice pair of JBL L16s with bad foam for $11 and a nice pair of Realistic Nova 7B for $14. I havent tested them yet but what fun! :banana:

edit:
I finally got a chance to hook them up. They all work and are in good shape. I'm glad to find some good stuff, I've reeled in some real stinkers lately. The Nova sound pretty good! good imaging, bass, and the high end is smooth but rolled off a bit. No harsh midrange tho. I might like these better than my DLK 2s. :scratch2:

PICS!

Attachments

• IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0460.jpg
    IMAG0460.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0455.jpg
    IMAG0455.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
That'll buff out. :D

Great score.

Thanks James.
Before I call this the best sounding CD player I've had to date I still have to switch it thru two other systems,but I am very impressed with what I'm hearing!

Of course I can't say my CD players have approached true audiophile quality so... ...

I recently picked up a nice pair of JBL L16s with bad foam for $11 and a nice pair of Realistic Nova 7B for $14. I havent tested them yet but what fun! :banana:

edit:
I finally got a chance to hook them up. They all work and are in good shape. I'm glad to find some good stuff, I've reeled in some real stinkers lately. The Nova sound pretty good! good imaging, bass, and the high end is smooth but rolled off a bit. No harsh midrange tho. I might like these better than my DLK 2s. :scratch2:

PICS!
Those Nova's will surprise you!

Hey. Might as well use this thread as my introduction to the forum. Just picked up a Pioneer SA-7500 in very nice condition for 15$ and a pair of ScanDyna A30's for 20$. The A30's are missing the badge from one of the speaker, but are otherwise in good nick. Sounds brilliant too...

John Wesley Harding

mint condition vinyl and cover. Good stuff like this comes in in dribs and drabs at my GW. Not like the good jazz albums i read about elsewhere. Never happens here.

This find makes a trio of mid career dylan for me, along with New Morning and Nashville skyline. Copyright for this one is 1968. sounds like a long time ago now.

A reviewer once wrote something to the effect that " Perhaps dylan is making up for the numerous times he dropped the 'g' from words in his lyrics" as the real person was named John wesley hardin.

true, i just googled it.

Among recent sightings in the area are Polk PSW110 sub for 39.99 and Denon DRA-395 BPC-ish receiver for 20.00, no remote. Denon looked cheap, front faceplate is plastic, output transistors inside are small-ish looking. Looks like it's 80wpc.

Didn't get any of them. I already have two 10" subs; now, if it was a 12"-er... But, I haven't seen any 12" subs in stores for a loooong time for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom