Have altec VOTT, but girlfriend says no

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeb98

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I have a problem. I have a pair of Altec Voice of the theater A7 speakers. They have the 416a woofers, 802D compression drivers, and the 511 horns. They are my dream speaker I'd say, and to me they sound amazing using my Eico ST40 stereo (of course I can only imagine how they'd sound with a SET amp and with an upgraded crossover). It's as if once I have gotten used to super high efficiency horn speakers nothing sounds the same.

The problem is...I'm moving in with my girlfriend and she won't let me bring these large speakers into the place we will have together. My question is, what would anyone here recommend I do in this situation. I have no excess money at the moment, so I am thinking about selling the speakers, or selling the components since the cabinets are hard to ship. It's not that I'm trying to capitalize on making money, I'd rather keep them, but I can't really, so I'd like to reinvest any money I make into other smaller speakers that are also highly efficient. I really love vintage stuff as well, not that I can afford it.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Best,

Jonas Baker

Tough call. When I brought my Altec Valencias home 25 years ago, my wife said no way, but we did have room for them and I installed them anyhow, telling her we just HAD to try them. She was impressed with the fidelity, and she's grown used to them over the years. She also knows that audio is among my favorite hobbies, so there's an acceptance there.

A couple of years ago on a beautiful summer day, I was driving down our road with the windows down and could hear "Gimme Shelter" coming from our house from about 150 yards away. That still reminds me of how much she appreciates those wonderful speakers.

I say try to find a way.

Find a new girlfriend. :D

JK good luck with your dilemma. Any friends or relatives close by that have extra space ?

I'm not convinced the A7 is a great choice for home use anyway; I understand that the bass is really rolled off. I would sell them and buy JBL 240Tis. You'll get better bass, great sonics and they're probably, maybe just barely small enough to appease your girlfriend.

Or Altec Model 14s if you want horns.

Last edited:
I saw my ex the other day and realized that I missed her.

So I backed up and nailed her with the bumper.

You have not entered "Location" in your user settings, so we don't know where you are and who might be local to help. Resale on large speakers is always dependent on location ... you may have better luck finding a buyer for them in a larger city than in a smaller town, for instance ...

That said, the A7 is a BIIIIIG speaker - take a special person to keep a pair of large speakers like that.

Life is change - you never know how things will go, perhaps you can put them into storage until you find a buyer?

So I have a problem. I have a pair of Altec Voice of the theater A7 speakers. They have the 416a woofers, 802D compression drivers, and the 511 horns. They are my dream speaker I'd say, and to me they sound amazing using my Eico ST40 stereo (of course I can only imagine how they'd sound with a SET amp and with an upgraded crossover). It's as if once I have gotten used to super high efficiency horn speakers nothing sounds the same.

The problem is...I'm moving in with my girlfriend and she won't let me bring these large speakers into the place we will have together. My question is, what would anyone here recommend I do in this situation. I have no excess money at the moment, so I am thinking about selling the speakers, or selling the components since the cabinets are hard to ship. It's not that I'm trying to capitalize on making money, I'd rather keep them, but I can't really, so I'd like to reinvest any money I make into other smaller speakers that are also highly efficient. I really love vintage stuff as well, not that I can afford it.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Best,

Jonas Baker

I like the loan them to a friend idea. I'm currently caring for a family heirloom kitchen table from a coworker who got married last summer. His bride did not fancy the table top, which is made of a 4-ft diameter sawmill blade, painted black. I really can't see the problem.:D I'm using it in my workshop, return on demand. Some day they will have a larger place and he'll want it for the family room, mancave, etc.

Smaller horns might be just the ticket. Where are you? i.e. are you in a place with a Craigslist and a market for these beasts? It would be a shame to part them out, since that's happening to so many of them.

Does she have something you don't want in your home? if so, you can make a trade, she can bring that, if you can bring your speakers.

Does she have something you don't want in your home? if so, you can make a trade, she can bring that, if you can bring your speakers.

At some point the sheer size may be the more pressing issue rather than who gets to bring what they want.

you didn't say where you are.

Maybe dressing up the cabinets so they look more like the Magnificents might sway her.

If you are not attached to her for too long, & for some reason split, then you will not have her, or maybe even the A7s.

Find a place to stash them.

Asking a woman to get rid of her shoes is fighting words.

Last edited:
I second post 4 . Ask she give them a try. If you both can't live with them after a time, make the call. Not saying on which.

Look at me: Married 20 years and I had my McIntosh mc2300 running... micro-speakers..
Then I was gifted a pair of LARGE Speakerlab 7s... needless to say they were NOT Wife Approved at all!!
After a few days having them just sit in the garage and seeing how important they were to me, Wife found a solution and actually help me set them up.. :) they are in my avatar

Since you're moving in with her she calls the shots. I'd sell the VOTs and get some good small monitors. Some day down the road when you have a better handle on things you can get some VOTs.

Now if you married the woman you'd have some say-so.

If she's making decisions for you that you don't like...dump her now before she gets expensive.

You let her have this decision, she'll just want more control of your life, and the precedent has already been set.

You have seen the future; and NOW is the time to change it.

If she's making decisions for you that you don't like...dump her now before she gets expensive.

You let her have this decision, she'll just want more control of your life, and the precedent has already been set.

You have seen the future; and NOW is the time to change it.

A lot of assumptions here - either you know this lady personally or you're painting her with that broad "all women ___" brush that gets passed around.

Certainly an issue to work out in any relationship, but this is after all only a pair of speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom