The beast on the bay!!! TECHNICS SA-1000!!!!

Nice - 330wpc - the most powerful receiver ever! Would love to own that one just for bragging rights.

This one AK'er out in El Cajon - forgot his name - has one: It still has the original "2x330 wpc" sticker on the tuning window!

Regards,

Njord Noatun said:
Nice - 330wpc - the most powerful receiver ever! Would love to own that one just for bragging rights.

This one AK'er out in El Cajon - forgot his name - has one: It still has the original "2x330 wpc" sticker on the tuning window!

Regards,

Sorry to say, it's really not much to brag about. Doesn't sound as good as the TOTL Marantz, Sansui, Pioneers and Kenwoods, not to mention the Rotels, Hitichis, Concepts and Toshibas. Very conventional design. Nothing special there. It's just BIG!! But, if you like quantity over quality.......place yer bid! I used to try to sell SA-1000s when they were new and have owned the SA-800 and SA-700, as well, so I know these units pretty well.

I notice the Seller is selling a bunch of Nicorete gum. This one could have that foul stench we all love so much.

I haven't heard the SA-1000, but the SA-5770 is an excellent sounding receiver with the best tuner of any receiver I have come across. Not sure how the SA-1000 compares, but I tend to take reviews of the monsters with a grain of salt until you get to hear it for yourself.

dnewma04 said:
I haven't heard the SA-1000, but the SA-5770 is an excellent sounding receiver with the best tuner of any receiver I have come across. Not sure how the SA-1000 compares, but I tend to take reviews of the monsters with a grain of salt until you get to hear it for yourself.

The SA-5770 was Technic's best receiver, hands down. Much better sounding than the SA-1000 and better built for sure!

I sold both lines when they were new and the SA-1000 was from the time when everyone was getting into to cost-cutting mode....and it showed. We salespeople were disappointed with it, and the rest of that particular line....the lower models of which came with the infamous Masonite bottoms! :yuck: The SA-1000 even came with really cheap spray-painted plastic switch covers. People picked up on that.

theblackknight said:
I totally agree. I would definately use my Concept 16.5 over the Technics. The technics would simply sit there with its crown:king: and only be used for parties, and, as you said, bragger's rights.:yes:

The Concept 16.5 is FAR SUPERIOR to the SA-1000 in SO MANY WAYS. :yes:

Also, the SX-1250 has a beefier power supply than the SA-1000. Matsushita was really pushing the limits in order to be "top dog" in the power ratings. Unfortunately, they cut some corners to get there. Ultimately, every Receiver is compromised, but some balance the compromises better. The SA-1000 is not a well-rounded product by any means compared to the competition which had slightly less power but were generally better sounding/looking overall.

When all is said and done, my point simply is that the SA-1000 is not really something to brag about all that much (I don't care for people who brag anyway) but it is a very competent receiver and I can understand why someone would want to own one out of curiosity. Unless you have others to compare it to, you'll never know what you're missing.

dnewma04 said:

I too have(and use) a SA-5770 and can verify it has a completely outstanding tuner. I also agree with your instinct to take reviews on monster receivers with with a grain of salt, since I also own(and use) a Concept 16.5, and can find apsects of both where each one tops the other in performance abilities.

After people speaking out on the sound/performance drawbacks on the sx-1980(for example, etc...), it can make me pause on pursuing many totl's from a distance.

And then there are folks who over-glorify some totl's which may not be perfect in all regards....

So yeah, it is indeed best to hear it for yourself, always.:yes:

vintagestereo said:
Sorry to say, it's really not much to brag about. Doesn't sound as good as the TOTL Marantz, Sansui, Pioneers and Kenwoods, not to mention the Rotels, Hitichis, Concepts and Toshibas. Very conventional design. Nothing special there. It's just BIG!! But, if you like quantity over quality.......place bid! I used to sell SA-1000s and have owned the SA-800 and SA-700, so I know these units well. They're really for people who don't know much about vintage gear and are just impressed with a big number.

I notice the Seller is selling a bunch of Nicorete gum. This one could have that foul stench we all love so much.
Are you saying that Technics is the 'Cerwin Vega' of receivers?

Brudha said:
Are you saying that Technics is the 'Cerwin Vega' of receivers?

No, not really. Technics was just very inconsistent. Some real highs and some real lows. They tried to be all things to all people and this diminished from what they could have been. If they'd carried on in the steps of the SA-5770 their Receivers could have attained GLORY!!!

I got my first Technics receiver as a gift in the 80's. A new SA-303. I loved that little receiver and still have it and play it today. Since then I've gotten 4 more. An SA-5470 from a thrift store for $50. Then, SA-800, SA-5770A and the big one, SA-1000A in pristine condition came my way over the years. I wouldn't call them my absolute best receivers, but they are right up there. I also have a Concept 16.5 and I prefer the SA-1000A in looks and to my ears, sonic reproduction. I've only had my examples of these receivers to listen to, and with time all of these vintage pieces change. There may be other Concept 16.5's out there that would make me change my mind; but I'd have to hear them first.:music:

These, in my opinion, are what keeps the SA-1000 out of the top tier of the really great Receivers:

Major design deficiencies:

1. No Dual Mono Design;
2. No Toroidal Transformer;
3. No Switchable IF Bandwidth
4. No Multipath Meter
5. Relatively small Power Supply for rated 330 wpc.
6. Little Dynamic Headroom (1.2-1.5 db)
7. Really flimsy spray-painted plastic switch covers and cheap feel to the controls

Minor issue:

7. No SAW Filter on FM

The good news:

No Masonite!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm not saying it's a slouch....it's just a big serving of above-average, as opposed to exceptional, performance.

The price of admission now is pretty steep for what you actually get and, to me, not worth it. So, it's one Receiver I don't plan on getting.

But, people can spend their money on anything they want and it will be fun to see how much someone is going to pay for this experience. :scratch2:

If a 16.5 doesn't sound as good as an SA-1000, the 16.5 needs to be SERVICED!!!

and for the Concept 16.5:

1. No AUX channel

2. inferior inherent phono stage(30-15 freq range instead of 20-20 range found on other makes/brands)

3. cheapo barfo fake vinyl wood covering

4. tuner not as good as other near totl receivers (like an SA-5770 for example)

...so you see, nothing's perfect.

Lots of companies buckled over time to the forces of production costs verses monetary return. Panasonic was no different than many others. It was, and is, a constantly changing scenario of perceived market, market share, and competitive pricing, and so on...

I find (and can see and hear)flaws with the 16.5. It is not superior in every way imaginable... ..........The other fellow loves his SA-1000, and I'm sure he has really loved music for a long time, thru the various Technics gear he has. That's a beautiful thing. The World needs more of this love.

Back
Top Bottom