Relamping CR2020

10sguru

Okay all you Yamaha Gurus, I have a question. Purchased LED kit to upgrade my CR2020. No problem with the lamp for the tuning dial however upon examining the lamps for the meters it appears maybe someone has been in here before. All four sockets have been hot glued to the back of the meter bar. So my question is do I simply remove the old hot glue and pull the sockets out? Also the meter bar seems to be wrapped in some sort of fabric tape that appears to be red in color. Is it this tape that gives the lamps that unique yellow/green color or is it old age, lol? I have attached a few pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Attachments

• Lamp 1.jpg
    Lamp 1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Lamp 2.jpg
    Lamp 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Lamp 3.jpg
    Lamp 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Lamp 4.jpg
    Lamp 4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 64
Okay all you Yamaha Gurus, I have a question. Purchased LED kit to upgrade my CR2020. No problem with the lamp for the tuning dial however upon examining the lamps for the meters it appears maybe someone has been in here before. All four sockets have been hot glued to the back of the meter bar. So my question is do I simply remove the old hot glue and pull the sockets out? Also the meter bar seems to be wrapped in some sort of fabric tape that appears to be red in color. Is it this tape that gives the lamps that unique yellow/green color or is it old age, lol? I have attached a few pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Where did you get the kits?Are specific or generic?

I really hope that those extra heat sinks are insulated because if they are not one of them is at +45V and the other is at-45V a 90 V difference in potential. As for the hot glue peel it off if you can, there never were green condoms on the 2020, just black rubber boots that held the lamps.

Avionic, the LED kits are model specific as I researched the Yamaha Board extensively in order to gain a better understanding of this process. I purchased the kits from fellow AK'r D Haywood.

Merrylander, heat sinks were enlarged and insulated (see picture) as this beast was given the once over by Terry DeWick who lives 110 miles from me which makes repair logistics very convenient. The hot glue peeled off without issue as expected. I took one more picture which shows the lamps mounted in white sockets and you can also see evidence of heat buildup in the socket holder on the lamp bar for lamp #3 as it has a more yellow "burned" discoloration than the other three socket holders.

The bulbs that are in the unit now are clear. I seem to remember that the "factory" color displayed in the meters was blue/green or turquoise. I wanted to experiment with the colors so I ordered white, blue and green LED's. Still curious to the function of the red fabric tape that is attached to the front face of the lamp bar. Would there be any advantage to removing this and attaching reflective foil? Also one other tidbit. The diameter of the LED kit "bulb" holder is slightly smaller than the factory bulb holder which does have a firm press fit. Is hot gluing these in place the best approach? As always you guys are the best and your advice is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

• Lamp 5.jpg
    Lamp 5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Lamp 6.jpg
    Lamp 6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The factory lamps were T1-1/4 sized 12V 60mA clear lamps. Inside the meter case are small bluish plastic pieces (you can see on the back of the case where they are fastened) designed I imagine to make the illumination 'whiter'. Yamaha operated the lamps at about 85% of their rated voltage so they would be inclined to give a more 'yellowish' light. Derating a 10,000 hour lamp to 85% will extend its life to approx 40,000 hours.

Terry would insulate those heatsinks had I known he restored this unit I would not have worried. Because they glued them down Yamaha did not insulate the originals.

Merrylander, no worries as I do appreciate your concern. Terry is definitely top notch. So would placing a small bead of hot glue across the new LED socket and the socket holder be your recommended method to secure these new LED's to the back of the lamp bar?

Why not wrap the lamps with something to get the proper diameter? I would try shrink tubing if it works. I'm sure others will have some suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom