Whats you’re favorite odd ball guitar?

PureQuill

AK Member
Subscriber
DSC_5765.jpg DSC_5763.jpg DSC_5762.jpg I love all the classic great guitars.
Love my Teles,Strat & Les Paul.

But I have a confession to make I have a oddball Breedlove electric pro-totype that is just plain cool!

It is not like any other electric that I have played.
It has a gorgeous contoured Flame maple top attached to chambered mahogany body that is very light & resonate
Strings through the body like a Tele over a tune-amatic bridge and
2 Lollar P90’s . Very simple electronics Vol 3 way switch & tone.

Yep it's an odd ball guitar. I won’t run into any one at a jam playing one like mine...But I love it!

Anyone else here have a favorite 1 off or odd ball guitar that you think is cool or the bomb!

Please share!
I"ve shown you mine now lets see yours!

Last edited:
Fender/Squier Cyclone: A Mustang and a Strat had a baby with a Les Paul scale neck.

The black one is my Squier version from 2003 (better build quality than the new run of them). I am currently in the process of making a custom pickup/tone/wiring setup using a separate pickguard and tone plate so it is easily swappable without messing with any of the stock parts because I actually do like the stock setup. I will definitely pick up a Fender one at some point, preferably in orange.

d2ggUkI.jpg

yKM7pVw.jpg

I also have my own one-off creation, the Shitcaster.
It consists of:
1970-or-so Teisco ET-200 body
mid-2000s Fender Starcaster neck and bridge
MIM standard Telecaster neck pickup (cover removed), tone, and volume
Tele/Strat/Teisco pickguard combo

FV3IoIM.jpg

Those are great!
Thanks for sharing folks!:thmbsp:
Come on don’t be shy show us your weirdest ax!
PQ

My Parker acoustic is kinda funky, BC Rich Dagger is different for a hollow..or semi hollowbody

Attachments

• scott 112.jpg
    scott 112.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 57
  • scott 110.jpg
    scott 110.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 54
This is wierdest that I own. A 1963 Danolectro single lipstick tube p/u. Still plays and sounds great, especially for slide.

Attachments

• 63_Dano.jpg
    63_Dano.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 61
I had a collection of around 250 of these several years ago, Teisco, Airline, Reso-glass and others. Great fun collecting them and although I don't play guitar I played drums and always brought one or two cheeser guitarts along to the gig to get the guitar guys to play them. They did but reluctantly.

Circa 50's Danelectros, various 60s Japanese (solid-bodied) electrics, and a few Kay electrics: hollow, semi-solid, and solid. I'd toss in Gretsch for exta measure, but many seem to take those instruments seriously.

This has become my favorite guitar of late. It's a Morris Hurricane Hellen guitar. The neck is one of the best I have ever played. I put Pearly Gates Humbuckers on it and it sounds amazing.
I think these guitars were made in Japan sometime in the 80's, but I have yet to see any info on this specific guitar

Attachments

• 2014-12-08 22.56.44.jpg
    2014-12-08 22.56.44.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20141208_225354.jpg
    20141208_225354.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 65
I remember back when I first started collecting these things I bought the cheezer guitar bible called "Bizare Guitars", it was a Japanese book that featured most of the odd balls from the 50's and 60's and all in glorious color. I vowed to find every guitar in that book but after years of searching pawn shops and old music stores from Iowa and beyond I realized many of those beauties were still in Japan.

After years of searching and about 200 or so guitars I ended the quest and made someone in Kansas happy with a bulk purchase of my collection. I meet some great people during my quest such as Michael Wright who wrote "Guitar Stories 1 and 2" and he even put a few of mine in the his books. I never did get to meet the famous Teisco Del Ray but envied his vast collection of odd axes.

My handle on most of the forums is Teisco to this day and I still crack a smile when I see someone on tv cranking on a Teisco or Airline or other strange stringed cheezer from the past.

I loved the old Airline and other resoglass guitars. National also made some oddball axes. The Rickenbacher Light Show is one I wished I had owned (that and the original Fender Starcaster semi-hollow).

Back
Top Bottom