Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wire Speaker Cables

Dynamicmad

I just want it to sound good
Just wondering what you all have to say about them...... There was a Truth in sound event tonight at my local dealer and audioquest was there. He did many different demos with cables......some I could tell a difference some I couldn't. So I got to thinking of switching out my home brew speaker cable for the rocket 33 in bi wire since I have a pair of Mirage M5si that are bi wireable and reading reviews the M5 owners saying bi wiring made a difference. So what say you.

I see that you've been around here for over 2 years. I'm not sure what your go to threads have been, but you've just started a doozy. Nothing draws controversy like a cable thread. I've gotten rather tired of the way the mods allow mocking, belittling and trolling posts in threads such as these.

At any rate, you are not going to get any kind of a sense of direction from this thread. There will be those that tell you only idiots buy expensive cables, and those who say the Rocket cables changed their lives. You are going to have to take the bull by the horns, here. Make up your mind for yourself. I mean, I've got Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables myself, but I'd rather not comment on it and face the unsupervised ire of the cable haters. What's the point?

I see that you've been around here for over 2 years. I'm not sure what your go to threads have been, but you've just started a doozy. Nothing draws controversy like a cable thread. I've gotten rather tired of the way the mods allow mocking, belittling and trolling posts in threads such as these.

At any rate, you are not going to get any kind of a sense of direction from this thread. There will be those that tell you only idiots buy expensive cables, and those who say the Rocket cables changed their lives. You are going to have to take the bull by the horns, here. Make up your mind for yourself. I mean, I've got Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables myself, but I'd rather not comment on it and face the unsupervised ire of the cable haters. What's the point?

Really?

First, this is the "Cutting Edge" forum, a forum specifically for discussions of this nature. It is protetcted from trolling comments that sometimes make a thread go bad. Props to the OP for paying attention and knowing the rules and choosing the proper place for said discussion. (Ahem.)

Second, comments on moderation are not premitted in the public forums. (Again, ahem.)

Lastly, frankly I am interested in reading the discussion as these cables are relevant to my application (I prefer bi-wire cables for speakers that permit such operation) and they are relatively affordable. Perhaps a user who also uses Kimber 8TC bi-wires or Nordost Blue Heaven II bi-wires will chime in with his or her impressions and I'll be able to draw a meaningful comparison.

To the OP: If these cables fit your budget and application, I'd highly recommend giving them a try and letting us know your thoughts. What other system components are associated with the Mirages?

Thank you DC. The Cutting Edge forum is one place I check frequently for like minded souls.
Anyway, I'm a "cable guy" and continue to tweak my system with speaker wire and interconnects. Rocket is a pretty neutral wire but, in my opinion, doesn't offer the clarity or detail on the high end some others do.
A budget for the OP would help members offer additional recommendations.

Bi-wiring, in many cases, is more a function of using different amps to drive different speaker sections like a 200wpc amp for woofer and a more delicate tube or MOSFET amp for mids/tweeters.
I like Tara Labs products across the board and have tried a lot of cables.
I'm running Naim speaker cables at the moment at the recommendation of the amp manufacturer.
The Cable Company (no affiliation) has a lending library of cables you can try with some stipulation. I've used them several times.

This post

Yes I love cable threads. I would be interested in seeing what other cables might be thrown into the mix at the sub $300 range. I was using before for years white lightning DIY cables that were not bi wireable. I did last night bring home the rocket 33 on a demo program. First listening impressions are this. Bass really I mean really tightened up and became much more natural. Overall the sound was very cleaned up and quiet. Soundstage greatly improved. All I can say is wow.

My system consist of
Rotel ra980bx integrated amp 100 watts a side
marantz Dv8300 Sacd player
Audioquest sidewinder interconnects
Not sure of brand audiophile power cables.

Last edited:
Really?

First, this is the "Cutting Edge" forum, a forum specifically for discussions of this nature. It is protetcted from trolling comments that sometimes make a thread go bad. Props to the OP for paying attention and knowing the rules and choosing the proper place for said discussion. (Ahem.)

Second, comments on moderation are not premitted in the public forums. (Again, ahem.)

Lastly, frankly I am interested in reading the discussion as these cables are relevant to my application (I prefer bi-wire cables for speakers that permit such operation) and they are relatively affordable. Perhaps a user who also uses Kimber 8TC bi-wires or Nordost Blue Heaven II bi-wires will chime in with his or her impressions and I'll be able to draw a meaningful comparison.

To the OP: If these cables fit your budget and application, I'd highly recommend giving them a try and letting us know your thoughts. What other system components are associated with the Mirages?

Yes, I understood that this is the Cutting Edge section, to be protected from trolling or bashing posts. The Cable Riser thread in this section, however, has plenty of bashing posts so I suspected that the rules are being relaxed. And of course in other sections any cable thread gets filled with trolls who feel it their duty to be rude or obnoxious.

That said, I'm surprised the cable haters haven't weighed in on this thread already. I will say that since my Audioquest Type 4 has the equivalent gauge of a 15 gauge cable(I think) I do plan on eventual moving up into the Rocket series.

That said, I'm surprised the cable haters haven't weighed in on this thread already.

Surprised - why? If by 'cable haters' you mean those that attack subjective discussion of the items at hand based on 'objective' theory or assumptions, it will not fly in TCE and will be dealt with. If you mean discussion based on personal experience leading to 'hating that cable' - no problem.

I won't comment on these discussions in the rest of AK because we have general rules to govern those threads but in TCE, if you have a problem with a thread or moderation related to 'the rules', contact a moderator via PM.

Thanks for trying to explain DC & MikeT.

Talk

I say we get back to the question at hand as in speaker cables that sub $300 and what everyone thinks about rocket 33

I say we get back to the question at hand as in speaker cables that sub $300 and what everyone thinks about rocket 33

I have been using the R33s for about two years now and two sets. As far as hearing a diferance I don't know as my whole system elivated at that time. But I can say I haven't need to go elsewhere.

I just got some Kimber Kables Bi-wier that I want to try and see if that improves anything, maybe this weekend.

Let me know

I have been using the R33s for about two years now and two sets. As far as hearing a diferance I don't know as my whole system elivated at that time. But I can say I haven't need to go elsewhere.

I just got some Kimber Kables Bi-wier that I want to try and see if that improves anything, maybe this weekend.

Let me know if you hear any difference

Hi, I would like to input from my experience with AQ cables, I'm using all AQ cables except AC cords.

In my system AQ Type-4 is best all around reasonably price speaker cable, good dynamic sound with well balance stereo image, I'm still using it in 2nd system to this day.

I also like Audio Adviser No Frills AQ Type-8 speaker cables more than AQ Rocket 33/44 speaker cables I tried, it may be lower cost then Rocket 33.

My current main cable is AQ Gibraltar 72dbs speaker cables which I'm going to use it for long time because It just perfect with my set up.

Please let us know which one do you like the best in your system.

Steve

Last edited:
I just got a 15' pair of Type 4 AudioQuest cables, Audio Advisor is an aouthor dealer and made up the set - no frills, and a very decent price, half the factory price. Very pleased with the results so far........

I took a look at their theory on signal conduction and skin effect and figured I'ld give them a go hoping there was some validity to their theory. Just an effort to try to side with the science so-to-speak Verdict? Don't know yet!........but I do like the cables....

With the switch from 12 gauge fine strand to Audioquest Type 4 I found an immediate improvement. The sound became more clear and focused, resulting in superior imaging. It's not like I had been previously noting that my system sounded somewhat out of focus or congested, but when I put in the new cables, I could immediately hear that it sounded different.

It was well worth the 5 bucks a foot, and it makes me want to try the Type 8.

Amen. I think what I can notice with the Type 4's in my system is a more defined soundstage - the instruments are now in a "place" - and the clarity has improved some, just enough to notice. I hope it gets better!

I have both Rocket 33s and Type 4s. They both sounded the same to me (in the same system), but then I just bought then because they looked nice. I use the Rockets with my SF Veneres and the Type 4s with my Tektons. IMO, there wasn't any difference between the AQ cables and the Monster cables I was using before (Original and XP). Nor was there any difference from the regular old stranded copper wire from rat shack. To each their own.

Last edited:
You just bought them because they look nice, I wish I would do that!

On the Type 4, it actually adds up to a smaller gauge, 15 I think. So anyone out there, you wouldn't want to use it for longer runs unless you have a sub hitting the low notes.

I own the Rocket 33's single wire and the Rocket 44's internally bi-wired. Great cables by the way. I prefer solid core over stranded cables. I find them to be more focused and better soundstaging. I also use the Diamondback RCA's and XLR's in my system. I think AQ cables are a great choice in cables I can afford.

To be honest, I've never heard a difference in speaker cables. I've always used sufficient gauge and made sure they were free of oxidation. (Don't worry runnin', I'm not a troll.)

I recently bought two pairs of inexpensive ($80) Wired Home 15' banana plug cables. Once again, I don't hear any appreciable difference but I do like them simply for the cleaner construction and ease of use.

I was looking at the Rocket 33 cables as well and may end up going that route in the not too distant future. Although I may not be able to hear a difference they sure are pretty to look at and I would certainly feel confident there would be no weak link associated with my cables.

Back
Top Bottom