Under the radar low powered receivers less than 30 watts/ch

I comment before but, forgot one, the KLH Twentyseven. A small chassis, too small intact unit. Like many KLH units specs are vague to unknown. Best guess from the available info is some things like 35 watts at 1khz and 25-30 watts ftc. It is as heavier than other receivers.of that power so do not let the size fool you. The size can be small as it does not have a linear tuner displayed but a pair of vernier round dials for tuning. The interior is stuffed, not the friendliest for service. That and the lack of a proper service manual from KLH on these makes it a challenge to repair. There were a series of service sheets and notices issued and an auction site seller has collected them. I bought a set as I like to have them for each unit I own as a long term keeper. I have a pair bjt, one is now giving me a problem with its tuner. I recently rotated the other tl my Koss headphones and ADS L300 system and it sounds really good. I especially like that there are no panel lights so it can be left on 24/7. These vary greatly in price and anyone getting one all but needs to assume they need work to get back up to snuff as they are early SS. Mine was extensively rebuilt by the prior owner who did it, just to see.

Went to an estate auction last Friday evening that had a 170 along with the complimentary XP55 speakers. Was there 4 hours and I knew they weren't gonna get to it till next week and left. Sure enough it is still on the auction block for this week so I'm hopeful of getting it for a low price. It is nearly perfect. Comes from a Law Professors estate at the University of Arkansas. I'm wondering if these old SS Fishers aren't somewhat the same sonically as the HK's?

Mine's a keeper. It just sounds so good paired with a set of Scott ss-15's.

I have a Realistic STA-78 with the nice black face. I think it's rated at 22 wpc.

Attachments

• IMG_7631.jpg
    IMG_7631.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 35
Pioneer SX-626 - Maybe not exactly under the radar but these little 20 watters are worth picking up if you see them. They are usually pretty inexpensive and offer a lot of quality for the money. Fantastic tuner, nice "earthy" cap coupled sound plus pre-out/main in jacks so you can use it as a preamp/tuner.

I second this model and not so much under the radar, but people tend to want to get the big boy Pioneers and may over look their smaller versions. I have one in my office with a Dual 1228 and some Bose 301. My second is at the house in my main system with a Pioneer pl115 pushing some RTR 240d. Great little receivers!

I must say the pics are pretty! I just don't see stuff come up around here like that... regardless of wattage in that cosmetic condition. Well not very often or the asking price is without audition or just too high.

I have an SX-3400 interestingly 22w or so before clipping. Like it's older brothers the tone circuits are pretty good and usually loaded with elna's with some low esr's. bass boost on this one needs some work and some new caps a lamp and some new side panels. LOL.. I got it for free so the 20bucks or so it'll need is ball park. Funny though it sounds pretty good as is just after a couple of caps. I matched up some speakers for it for close quiet listening but I can pump it a bit enough for room listening and still more to go. Good speakers will make these early sx's sound pretty good. errrr or is it this amp makes good speakers sound good? :smoke:

I certainly can't post a pic to compare with some of these beauties!.. like taking a dog to a cat show.

Seconded!

At 22 watts per channel I love the sweet sound of the Harman Kardon 330B. Plus, you can use the preamp separately.

B44C4AFF-B39B-4843-B8E4-DE26683301F3.jpg

Currently listening to my 330B right now. Picked it up last year about $50.00. Dirty, but cleaned up with De-oxit. My hk730 and 670 are both in need of attention, so I pressed the little 330B into service, and it's just a lovely unit.

Running iTunes thru Airport Express into Schiit Modi, and from receiver into Wharfedale W90s. VERY nice!!

Currently listening to my 330B right now. Picked it up last year about $50.00. Dirty, but cleaned up with De-oxit. My hk730 and 670 are both in need of attention, so I pressed the little 330B into service, and it's just a lovely unit.

Running iTunes thru Airport Express into Schiit Modi, and from receiver into Wharfedale W90s. VERY nice!!

A year or two ago the 330's were still pretty much under the radar. No more. Pretty much have doubled (at least) on the auction site. I think we AK'ers need to develop our own pig Latin type language to discuss the sweetness surrounding us. :D Great pic by the way!

Yesterday I tested a little Yamaha CR 240 receiver that I picked up at garage sale, it was absolutly filthy on the outside and the inside. It did play but did not sound good at all, every control was really scratchy and full of static.

So last night I took the cover off cleaned it inside and out, used contact cleaner on all the controls ( is a nice easy receiver to work on) worked the controls back and forth for what seemed like forever and let it all dry over night.

This morning hooked it up to speakers and cd player, turned it on and wow what a difference it now sounds so clear and crisp there is no more static or scratchyness at all. And to top it off the outside cleaned up so nice it looks almost brand new

I put this post in this thread because I think the old girl only has about 18 watts but she sure sounds good up to about number 7 on the volume control which was loud enough for me.

I have an Advent 300 for the dining room system. I have the Pioneer SX-626 for the bedroom system. Also recently sold a thrift-store-score Yamaha CR-420. All are really beautiful sounding units. The trick IMO is the right speakers -- I really like Boston A40s and Polk Monitor 4s for these smaller receivers. You can have a remarkable sounding -- and very affordable -- rig using those combos.

Why not post why we left the cheap receivers. I had a party years back when I was younger, while adjusting to a good station a guy said I don't like these cheap receivers, next payday I bought a Pioneer but wanted a Marantz I couldn't afford. I now have a vintage Pioneer in the garage 50 wpc and a Vintage Marantz in the house 25 wpc, I will let you guess which one sounds the best and I won't mention the name of the cheap budget receiver the guy said he didn't like, but I think you already know. :)

Someone posted the Sansui 2000 earlier. Agreed, for a solid state 30 watt receiver, this get's my vote for the best all time sound quality wise in that watt range. It just sings, and has substantial punch for 30 watts.

Under the radar? Pretty much anything that doesn't say Marantz on it--that is until you post about it on here. ;)

My favourite low-wattage receiver is the Advent 300. The tuner section is really nice and they just sound really good. Another I have a really like is a 60s Scott 348. Lovely tuner, looks great in its wood case and sounds sweet. That's it for my list.

Fancy Sansui AU-5500

My fancy heavy low powered Sansui AU-5500 has a warm sweet sound with plenty of bite in the trombones and croon in Sinatra. Every few years I clean all the pots and contacts again and hook it up for a few months. Always surprises me how fine it sounds. Then I put the Dyna PAS and Stereo 70 back and few months later move to the 380 watt Carver for a year or two. Then it is back to the Sansui. I have about 20 amps and receivers I cycle through once in a while. Really, I think change keeps the ears open to the beauty of the music somehow. I do the same thing with speakers Audio Dynamic D12s to Polk Monitor 7s to Mirage SM-3s. Then there is the new stuff. But that is a different story. PS. Long ago I has a small light weight Fisher amp that I guess was about 10 watts. I can still remember how sweet it sounded. Wish I could remember the model. It would be fun to hear it again. Oh, well...

While certainly not "under the radar", I just picked up a Pioneer SX-636, and I have to say that I am really enjoying it. It has a nice midrange, has good clarity and detail, is surprisingly controlled in the bottom-end (didn't expect that), has good power, and has good soundstaging. All in all, it's a nice little receiver for sure. :) I also covet a Harman/Kardon 330B or C; Sansui 210 or 800; Pioneer SX-990; Sony STR-6045; HH Scott 344C or 384/384B; and Advent 300. Ahhhhhhh, so much gear, so little money and space! lol :p

Not under the radar:
Harman Kardon 430
Sherwood S-7200
Yamaha CR-420
Sansui 5050
Pioneer SX-636
Marantz 2230
Advent 300

Less obvious:
Concept 2.5
Rotel RX-403
Nikko 5050