What CD player would you buy for $500 or less

StereoDNA

AK Member
Looking to up grade my 10 year ole Oppo DV 981HD. Have the option of buying a Sony CDP -x779ES or a new Tascam 200 or other new CD player?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Looking to up grade my 10 year ole Oppo DV 981HD. Have the option of buying a Sony CDP -x779ES or a new Tascam 200 or other new CD player?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

I'm sure people will weigh in with lots of different choices.

Me personally, I'd look for a good mid-to-late-1980's CD player - Kenwood, Sony, Technics, Philips, etc.

They were still a relatively new technology. State of the art DACs at the time, Made in Japan with quality components. Aluminum face plates, etc. MSRPs were high and again, build quality was excellent - built to last.

I'm running an early 90s Sony CDP-C801ES - outstanding unit. Also a Kenwood DP-850.

good luck!

Might want to check out the Onkyo c-7030. It's not high end or anything but it is a steal for a really well built modern cdp. I'm happy with mine and like it more than my 90s made in Japan Denon or Kenwood players. Just an idea.

Might want to check out the Onkyo c-7030. It's not high end or anything but it is a steal for a really well built modern cdp. I'm happy with mine and like it more than my 90s made in Japan Denon or Kenwood players. Just an idea.

+1 - nice looking player. Always liked Onkyo gear.

A Sony CDP-X779ES would be a bargain at $500 or less. It was Sony's top of the line unit in '92 with a MSRP of $1900. Extreme build quality 36+ pounds and excellent sound quality rivaling players costing much more. Get it now before someone else does!

Me personally, I'd look for a good mid-to-late-1980's CD player - Kenwood, Sony, Technics, Philips, etc.

They were still a relatively new technology. State of the art DACs at the time, Made in Japan with quality components. Aluminum face plates, etc. MSRPs were high and again, build quality was excellent - built to last.

^ +1
Perhaps a Pioneer PD-91,Denon DCD-1560,or even a Technics SL-P990.. The latter sure can sing with it's awesome extended highs n' lows (before the Technics MASH days). You'll be most pleasantly surprised.. In fact,it's even capable of sounding very much like a top end TT with decently produced/recorded CD's.

I second the denon dcd 1560 or even the 2560, just make sure the drawer goes in all the way and doesn't need to be pushed in that last quarter of an inch

I knew all you AK's would have some great input. So much experience and knowledge!

What I am worried about with the older Sony, is what happens in the lazer or another critical item goes bad. What then?

All input is Much appreciated.

Lasers are like light bulbs, sooner or later they go…

That's why I wouldn't recommend an old CD player as a main unit. They're nice for collection and some do sound nice too (I have some on my own). If you can't do a maintenance on your own, you can add 200-400$ for having someone do it for you, since most 20-30 year old units need it.

If you're looking for something reliable better go for a new one. They also should sound "better", since DAC technology has evolved over the last 30 years.

PS: I'm after a Sony CDP-501ES right now. ;)

http://tascam.com/product/cd-200/

http://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-86

main.jpg

$220 @ Amazon.

What do you know about the Sony 779es? Just curious?

See below.

A Sony CDP-X779ES would be a bargain at $500 or less. It was Sony's top of the line unit in '92 with a MSRP of $1900. Extreme build quality 36+ pounds and excellent sound quality rivaling players costing much more. Get it now before someone else does!

I knew all you AK's would have some great input. So much experience and knowledge!

What I am worried about with the older Sony, is what happens in the lazer or another critical item goes bad. What then?

All input is Much appreciated.

This is a valid point. It's nice to have some idea of the hours on the player before you buy. If the laser goes then it basically can't be fixed - new lasers are impossible to find. You pays your money and takes your chances with older CD players, sure. But also remember that a lot of times the lasers in them last much longer than the lasers in newer gear.

I listen to vinyl mostly but I purchased a onkyo c7030 and the sound is very good compared to a Sony that I have.

Then you have a boat anchor unless you can find a unit for donor parts or want to pay big bucks for a replacement laser; provided you can even find one.

A couple times was mentioned the Denon DCD-1560. Nice player, but repacement KSS151A laser assembly is expensive, if you can find one. The big Sony you mentioned uses an expensive KSS272A laser assembly, if you can find one.

Myself, I wouldn't spend more on an older player than what you consider (literally) disposable income. Might work quite a while, or not. Therein lies the problem.

Thanks much men of learned knowledge. Your advice has convinced me to go new.

I was looking at that. Tascam 200 line, just read a small review in Stereophile. I am think got use it as a good new transport and spend the rest on a high DAC?

I will update this post when I have the new unit up and running.

What a great community of honest input and no Bull£#*¥! Refreshing to say the least.

With so many good budget CD players around these days, as well as plenty of good used CD players from within the past 10 years, there's no reason to consider a CD player from 20 years ago or beyond that is on it's last legs in terms of laser and mechanical hardware life.

Back
Top Bottom