How to remove volume knob?

Sansui_Boy

Hi i am trying to remove the volume knob on my amp but it wont come out. It has a hole on the side so it might be screwed on? i haven't tried because i might damage it, any ideas?

What model of amp? - if it has a hole in the side of the knob, the likelihood is (for a Sansui amp) that there will be an allen set screw in there. Find the right size allen key (1/16" perhaps) and you are sorted.

You must remove or loosen the set-screw first but if it is still stiff, you could try placing some thick card against the front panel of the amp in 2 places and use a couple of teaspoons to CAREFULLY lever the knob off. If you use this method, first use penetrating oil on the knob shaft and leave the amp overnight.

Last edited:
Its a sansui au d33 and there in no allen key screw inside the hole
EDIT: will wd40 work as a penetrating oil?

Ya ... they can fight ya ...

Hole in the side, or slot at the base?

If it's a hole in the side, then it should be an allen set screw, and if you don't see one, I'd guess somebody else ran into the same problem, removed the screw entirely, still couldn't get it off, and gave up. In that case, prop the back of the receiver up so cleaner can dribble into the knob, and a short spray directly onto the shaft if possible. Repeat a couple times and let it sit before attempting to pry it off. Careful with overspray - that can eat stuff - print, clear sealant, plastics - you give it a chance.

PS ... there's usually TWO set screws on the larger shafts ...

If it's a slot in the base, insert a small flat bladed screwdriver in the slot, and push ... that should release a small springed tang that fits into a groove on the shaft. That don't work, some of them need to be pushed OUT away from the receiver face to release.

EDIT >> WD works, but you'll want to clean and dry the control and knob real good afterwards as any residue can gum up. That may be why the knob's stuck in the first place. You also DON'T want to use it to lube the controls as it will grit things up over time and cause binding. If you're gonna be doing much of this sort of thing, a can of DeOxit D5 isn't all that big an investment.

Works on card slots too ... I had a couple circuit board connectors fighting me on a QRX9001 rebuild a bit back. A bit of D5 carefully sprayed on low, let it sit a bit, and they popped right out. Once again, protect for overspray.

Last edited:
Thanks I will get some photos soon, there is a hole on the side and inside there is a circle which has no screw I am not good at explaining! Photos will show you what I mean

I think its a set screw as it does not have a head how do you get these out? I'm assuming that it's really hard:tears:

Last edited:
If it is unscrewed and still stuck, put duct tape on the back of two spoons or tape the faceplate. The two spoon, used on opposite side can often get the most stubborn knob off. If that set screw has had its top snapped off inside the hole then you are in trouble. It might not be a Allen screw, but rather a flathead screw. My tuner knob on my Model Eight had two screws at 180 degrees. I screwed with that thing for a long time until I noted the existence of a second hole. Then it came right off. :D

It doesn't have a Phillips screw or a flat head its just a flat screen with nothing on it I think in trouble:sigh:

If you want to bring the amp over to me I am happy to have a look at the stuck knob, I have had to deal with this in several Samsui Amps.

Cheers

John

do you know how to get it out?
It has hole in the side with a screw which doesn't have a head so you cant fit a phillips head or a allen key in there

Last edited:
Take it over to Skippy! Chances are that the head on the Allen Screw is stripped. If so it'll need to be drilled out and re-tapped for another.

... all ya need is a hex shaped drill bit ... :D

One thing that's worked for me is to go one size up on the wrench. Angle grind the end a bit, leaving the edges sharp, then tap that in and give it a twist while applying firm pressure. Kind of a poor boy's easy out. If it can grip the stripped head, it should come out. Goes without saying, a good soak with penetrating oil first can help things along and give it the best chance of working.

That just leaves the challenge of finding a replacement screw. I've had a couple that I just ground a slot into so I can use a standard screwdriver. Grind the slot as deep as you can for a better grip, and don't tighten any more than you have to ...

BTW ... they do make real easy outs for hex heads, but they'll cost ya ...

61lBcilTP8S._SL900_.jpg

Unfortunately the set screws are hardened steel and resist drilling with a vengeance. The last time I had a stripped set screw, drilling was of no use. I had to take it to a machine shop who used a complicated plasma device and was able to melt it out from within the female threads without damaging them. It was pretty cool, though very expensive. Obviously the easy-outs won't work. Take the help offered. Maybe two heads working together will come up with a solution. Good luck on your endeavor.

Sansuiboy, take the advice given. I would bet you have the wrong wrench, that's a deep dark hole, and I think it is a 1.5 MM....

Thanks Everyone

Hey guys thanks for the advice i will be looking at it on the weekend with my dad and we will have a good look at it and do everything you guys suggested

Back
Top Bottom