Building a Stratocaster Clone from an Inexpensive Kit

wajobu

Boing Boom Tschak
I have a friend who builds acoustic guitars from scratch, beautiful pieces and occasionally he builds some electric guitars and modifies inexpensive finds with upgraded pick-ups, etc.

After Thanksgiving (2014), I noted to him that I needed a winter project (something to do indoors at my workbench when the weather is too nasty outdoors). I occasionally build small audio electronics projects, so he suggested I try a kit for an electric guitar. A few days later he jabbed me in the ribs holding his phone with a photo of a kit at the Guitarfetish website…even better they were having their Black Friday sale. The price was right and despite a number of reviews on youtube noting they weren't worth the money I decided to give it a try. The first photo is the box of parts that arrived at my house. After watching a bunch of youtube videos on assembling the kit, doing some reading on finishing, getting advice from my friend and having one abysmal paint failure, I've completed the kit (a lightweight Stratocaster clone) and despite its initial rough body shape, it sanded-up AOK and it sounds pretty darned good, even with the stock components. I used spray cans for both the paint and lacquer coats, then used some Meguiar auto finish products to hand buff the finish to a pretty decent gloss. At some point I can upgrade components if I decide to do that.

Could I have purchased a completed guitar for less? You bet, but I mostly had fun and learned a few things along the way. I had some issues with some of the screws breaking, but overall I say it was a success and a very satisfying project!

10432552_10203711601165611_218642185086481484_n.jpg

10395816_10204124338563788_5963986483722286145_n.jpg

I have a page on my personal website where I post some sound experiments (see the fine print in my signature)...there are a few things that I've recorded with this Strat.

Great Job, I made one myself last year with a Korean Strat neck and Japanese
body which came out nice, enjoy yours.

Tube

Love the color choice. I have build about 30 strats, from parts, over the years and have the parts still to build three more. Thinking of either an Autism tribute with a puzzle pieces paint job or a shell pink strat. Good job though.

Looks cool! The headstock is deliberately oversized so you can cut a true Fender headstock shape, surprised you did not opt to do that for the classic look

I love that seafoam green body, that is classic!!!

I have a lawsuit Cort Les Paul that needs a little work (toggle switch, 1 pickup, a new nut and a little body work) but I never seem to have the time

I have a lawsuit lp as well that was in a fire at one point. I cleaned her up, did a multi-flake glitter finish (on top of an arctic white undercoat), put in some vintage Dimarzio Hot Hot Hot humbuckers and now she purrs when I play jazz-ish stuff and screams like a banshee with very little urging.

I have a lawsuit lp as well that was in a fire at one point. I cleaned her up, did a multi-flake glitter finish (on top of an arctic white undercoat), put in some vintage Dimarzio Hot Hot Hot humbuckers and now she purrs when I play jazz-ish stuff and screams like a banshee with very little urging.

Nice Paul, you will have to post a image or two! The one I have is based on a Les Paul Artisan w/ the semi-hollow body. Here's pics of it. I already started cleaning it up and added the missing machinehead keys. I only have gold one's so I am changing ALL of them to gold as well as the TOM bridge and tailpiece (I have 70s Gibson ones). I have Gibson amber speed knobs also. Eventually going to change the pots to 500k ones also and put in a Switchcraft toggle

I may also just sell it as a project. The rosewood board is beautiful on this. I have never seen a Cort with this particular finish!!!! Reminds me of an early 80s Gibson Les Paul I wanted

PUv1bwT.jpg

RMIuF3Z.jpg

KUBxKcD.jpg

Excellent work, Walker. The Surf Green finish is spot-on to my vision (er, colour sense).

Pretty nice! I built a couple of MJT kits but those come pre-finished.

Super nice build! I Like it better when a person can actually make something thier own but we can always hope for good opportunities, huh?

"special".......I rebuild my own from damaged guitars. I live about 7 Miles from Joplin, Mo in Carthage (BTW: where MJT is located) and after the terrible tornado in 2011 there were alot of damaged guitars and etc from a resale shop and peoples homes that were for sale cheap with some usable parts and some with just nasty dings.
Later.......Ammon

Attachments

• P6150001.jpg
    P6150001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 5
  • P6150003.jpg
    P6150003.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P6150006.jpg
    P6150006.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: