Forte x-overs

turkey

I am rebuilding now with crites caps.
Curious if, since I already have the x-overs removed, can I just solder some new wore on them and use a connected to hook the speaker.? That way if I do need to remove them again, I can just unplug instead of desolder.

What do you think?

sure that is an option I can confirm that if you soldered directly to the drivers that it would sound a little better than using the auto spade connectors Klipsch use. That said I do not recommend this as it is far too easy to damage your speakers when soldering connections this way. The actual speaker terminals used were not designed to be soldered to. So yes there is the potential for some improved sound but at too high a risk and there are many other modifications which yield safe repeatable and reliable improvements. The last comment that I will make is that soldered speaker connections is nothing but a huge inconvenience. Been there done that and I don't do it any more. Best regards Moray James.

I think you're digging too deep into what I'm saying.

What I did was desolder the x-over from the Forte II.
Replace the caps, now I'm at a point where I need to put the x-over back in.

I did not desolder the original wires from each driver.
This wiring will be left in place.
What I am thinking to do is put a junction (spade or similar) between the x-over and each driver.
So, rather then have to desolder again if necessary, I can just unplug.

I don't want to solder direct to each driver.

When you removed the crossover, you should have left the wires soldered to the crossover. You could have just unplugged the wires from the drivers and removed the crossovers with all wires still attached.

I would have if they were connected that way. Mine are soldered directly to the spade terminals on the drivers themselves.

OK, Bob is right and what you have there is the work of a previous owner and is not stock. All Klipsch speaker connections in your speakers were/are spade connectors so you disconnect fron the network at the speaker. You can do what you want but the question is why? You will go in there so infrequently it is not a problem and why have joints to listen to that you don't have to now. You are all soldered up so why not leave it be the way it is? Best regards Moray James.

Ok, I feel like an ass. I'm not sure how I saw the terminals soldered to the spades on the speakers. It's not that way, so...
I put the one back together last night, and going to do the other one now. See what happens.

And done...
Not sure if the sound is better or anything sounds good since I've been listening to ipod headphones for a month.

Time will tell

Back
Top Bottom