McIntosh vintage (C32) vs new (C48) with MC2300

3026761-slide-expedit3.jpg

ikea-expedit-s-effondre.jpg

Im sorry but are you nuts? That looks like a 2x4 Expedit you have that amp on!!! And it's on it's side a weaker orientation. I can see the shelves saging from all the record weight and the sides look to be bulging out. Just look at the effects that amp is doing to the left one opposed to the right one.

You had me worried there for a second! Just double checked the shelving unit and all sides are straight. Anything you're seeing is just photography playing tricks on you. And as mentioned in a previous post, the back half of the amp is on a ledge just behind the shelving unit. In fact, the ledge sits about 1/4 inch below the Expedit which allows more than half the weight to go into the back half. Don't worry, it's not all sitting on top of the shelving. I'm not that crazy!

A better pre-amp means more dynamic range lower distortion and a tendency to want to listen at higher levels, it allows your Dynavector to strut its stuff. A better pre-amp deserves a better amp. Which deserves better speakers. See the connection! Your speakers will sound better with the C-48, your speakers will sound better and be protected by the newer amps with Power Guard and additional 20 db signal to noise, The system will sound better with updated speakers. Its a process, not just buying a pre-amp. Then items such as MEN 220 should be considered to help optimize the system to the room and your chosen listening position.

If you are happy with your system then I applaud you. I have the same TT you do, had the same arm and Like you have a Dynavector. But I have the itch for a new VPI Prime with the epoxy tone arm, or maybe a Aries IIID. 15 db lower rumble and other noises, 1/2 to 1/3 the wow and flutter than our TT and a better non resonant arm. That's a big step up in the scheme of things. But is vinyl worth the dollars? Obviously from your picture its something to consider for you as I consider for me. Having a C-48 or the C-22 III will improve your phono section. I wish Mac would build a separate phono pre-amp, so I could update my C-34. I can't use the new pre-amps because of the width increase and much deeper depth.

Thanks and after the C48 I'm definitely done for a while. I have a second system upstairs (Audio by Alstine amp and pre-amp and VPI Traveler and Oppo BDP-105 and some bookshelf speakers Frank Van Alstine recommended) which also sounds great. It's not that I wouldn't love to collect a handful of McIntosh gear, but with 3 kids under 5 that's financially not in the cards for me these days. And I don't believe that perfection exists so I definitely don't want to wander too far down a rabbit hole looking for it.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

The C48 is an excellent pre-amp, when I first got mine I thought perhaps I should have aimed higher, but you know, I think the C48 is excellent buying, packed full of features...
You'll love it....:thmbsp:

The following won't cost anything and will greatly enhance the performance...

Relocate the speakers from their present location to in front of the LP racks at least five feet apart. This will allow you to reproduce recordings in their full stereo glory. You may also choose to raise them from the floor and tilt them up and toe them in to achieve the best imaging and staging. In addition, this will remove sources of vibration from below your turntable. You'll also be able to lower your gear so that it's more easily accessed - although you'll have to make that call with the kids.

I think you've got a great start here you just need to tweak the setup.

I'll second damacman's suggestion. Any stereo image will be disrupted by having the speakers that close. I don't know enough about acoustics to opine, but I would also worry about some kind of comb effect. Truly, repositioning the speakers will make a greater difference than changing the preamp.

On the preamp, can you explain why your choices are 32 vs 48 (which has a DAC built in)?

Unless you really want the DAC, it seems you've left out a bunch of alternatives, like 33, 34V, 40, 42, 46...

I have a C-42 in an office system, which is a more modern design than the C-32, but won't hit the bank like a C-48. And then, there's also a used C-220, which would allow you to play with tubes... choices, choices.

I'll second damacman's suggestion. Any stereo image will be disrupted by having the speakers that close. I don't know enough about acoustics to opine, but I would also worry about some kind of comb effect. Truly, repositioning the speakers will make a greater difference than changing the preamp.

On the preamp, can you explain why your choices are 32 vs 48 (which has a DAC built in)?

Unless you really want the DAC, it seems you've left out a bunch of alternatives, like 33, 34V, 40, 42, 46...

I have a C-42 in an office system, which is a more modern design than the C-32, but won't hit the bank like a C-48. And then, there's also a used C-220, which would allow you to play with tubes... choices, choices.

Thanks and the speakers do need to stay there for the time being due to the room's logistics (in between the system and the couch is a path for all of us to use when going to and from the garage). Possible that may change down the line. The stereo imaging doesn't really bother me especially since I listen to a lot of jazz in mono and Grateful Dead so this is like a mini Wall of Sound!

I listen to mostly vinyl, CD's and DVD audio discs in FLAC format so a DAC only seems like it can improve things. But a big reason I am leaning towards a C48 is the reliability factor. Getting a machine built to last from the beginning I am happy to pay up for after these problematic C32's.. And from what I understand it will only sound better than most other Mac's out there anyway which is fine with me!

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd put out a little update. I received the C48 last month and while a great unit, I could tell pretty quickly it wasn't for me. Compared to the C32 it sounded much sharper and more boxed in. While the JBL 4312's sounded good enough with it, the Meyer Sound HD-1 powered speakers sounded very harsh, almost unlistenable at high volumes. Even when cranked with just the JBL's there was some ear fatigue and the music didn't sing and dance around the room like with the vintage McIntosh stuff.

I called up the seller about an exchange and settled on a pristine C34V. It arrived the other day and voila! That's what I'm talking about! Great clarity and presence of sound even when cranked and all the speakers pair well with it. Whew! So the final system is now: McIntosh MC2300 - McIntosh C34V - Oppo BDP-105 - Thorens TD-125 MKII with SME M2-9R arm & Dynavector 20X2 cartridge - JBL 4312's - Meyer Sound HD-1's

Goes to show that not all units even from the same maker go well together (as we know) and that the tone one is searching for is major factor not to be underestimated. Happy listening and Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd put out a little update. I received the C48 last month and while a great unit, I could tell pretty quickly it wasn't for me. Compared to the C32 it sounded much sharper and more boxed in. While the JBL 4312's sounded good enough with it, the Meyer Sound HD-1 powered speakers sounded very harsh, almost unlistenable at high volumes. Even when cranked with just the JBL's there was some ear fatigue and the music didn't sing and dance around the room like with the vintage McIntosh stuff.

I called up the seller about an exchange and settled on a pristine C34V. It arrived the other day and voila! That's what I'm talking about! Great clarity and presence of sound even when cranked and all the speakers pair well with it. Whew! So the final system is now: McIntosh MC2300 - McIntosh C34V - Oppo BDP-105 - Thorens TD-125 MKII with SME M2-9R arm & Dynavector 20X2 cartridge - JBL 4312's - Meyer Sound HD-1's

Goes to show that not all units even from the same maker go well together (as we know) and that the tone one is searching for is major factor not to be underestimated. Happy listening and Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Put a C48 with a MC302 or MC452 and i would think you'd have a different experience....

My C48 with my setup is easily the best sounding pre-amp I have ever heard....

I suspect mixing new and old like you did may not be the best thing....

Very interesting....

Back
Top Bottom