Nikko NR 819, or 1019?

Relikk356

I'm new. I have limited listening experience. I'm using an NR819 and sounds good. Other then the power increase is there a noticeable difference in sound quality in a NR1019 or higher? This is in a small office and I cant take it past the 4th notch on the 819 as is.

Would I gain if I went to something newer like a Cambridge Topez SA20, or a Marantz 6005?

Using it with the vintage stuff with the original DACMAGIC.

I have a Nikko NR-719 and they do sound good. Im not an expert but I think the 1019 would be overkill. I think that higher powered receivers are designed to really be at high volume to sound their best and in a big space. I have a small listening space and the highest powered receiver I have is a Sansui 8080 (80 watts per channel). I find myself enjoying more the lower powered receivers I have. One of my favorites is the Philips 7851 (30 wpc into 8 ohms).

Theres quite a few threads about people liking the sound quality of the lowered powered receivers better.

Thanks for the response! I just picked up a NR719 on Ebay. Its on its way! I don't expect any sound difference in the 719 to 819. I came in at a low bid and won. Between the two I can make the cleanest looking one. Sorry for the running on a bit, anyway, the 1019 and higher models are an entirely different cabinet with a slew of more options (buttons & gauges). This could just be to accommodate the larger power supply but maybe it uses different circuitry? I don't know. I was hoping someone had some experience between our models and the higher power ones.

I was looking at some pics and the 1019 and 1219 have power meters for eye candy. Really besides power the biggest difference I can see is the 10 and 1219 have a midrange control. I have a few receivers with a midrange control and I don't use it much at all.

let me know how the 719 compares to the 819.

I got the NR719 Monday, but have not had time to listen to it yet. It is filthy! But the wood on the sides is perfect, had all the original knobs, and the top is not scratched! So it may make my 819 immaculate if i transfer parts. The inside though, man its covered in dust. Once i get it cleaned up I'll give it a listen and let you know if there is much of difference between them.

Congrats on getting the 719. It's been my experience that Nikko made some good sounding gear.

I had a 1219 at one time but slightly preferred the NR-1015. To my ear, there is something special about how the 1015 (and 815) receivers sound with Original Large Advent speakers.

Different sounds. After listening for while i checked out specs. For what ever reason i never noticed, but if you look at hifiengine it lists the 719 at 30h-30kh, 819 is 20h-20kh. I can defiantly notice a bass difference in the sound signature. This was before i knew so i don't think it was a placebo. 719 seems slightly bright, 819 very neutral (in comparison to each other). I cleaned, and deoxit but the 719 may need to be professionally analyzed (headphone jack for sure does not work right). I don't want to put any more money in ($36) in it so i'm switching over the parts and using my 819 (is now almost perfect). I got a Pioneer SX 1500td on its way so saving money to get that fixed up.

Congrats on getting the 719. It's been my experience that Nikko made some good sounding gear.

I had a 1219 at one time but slightly preferred the NR-1015. To my ear, there is something special about how the 1015 (and 815) receivers sound with Original Large Advent speakers.

I always assumed that the 819 was an upgraded 815 but just not the case. 815 is 55 watts per channel (10h - 50khz) , 819 is 45 (20h- 20kh).

Now your making want to try out 815, or 1015. My sub can only hit about 26htz, and I cant hear past 17kh but i have to know! lol. :scratch2:

I really enjoyed the NR-1019 I used to have. They're fantastic looking vintage receivers, to my eyes. It's sound quality was decent, but would be easily eclipsed by a modern unit.

After I gave the good parts to the 819 I made the 719 a pet project. I started to restore it; new caps, new head phone jack, bagged out dents, and about to paint the top in semigloss black dura coat (had it hagging around). LED light are on the way (blue and red). We will see what LED color looks the best. Cutting new wood sides tomorrow. My plan is to stain them in black.

Still i got the itch, I got a Marantz 2238 in route. I will compare sounds soon after i get it in home.

IMHO as far a sound goes so far nr819n> nr719 = Pioneer sx1500td. Still have a lot of cleaning up on the Pioneer though so it may change. The SX1500td tuner is awesome though. Finds station no problem. It also looks awesome!

Not sure if any ones paying attention anymore, or this is for me but just in-case; I really love the Marantz 2238 but I still have to pick the NR-819 over it. To my ears the 2238 has the best sound stage but its just a tad to bright for me. Its also lacks a small amount of bass in comparison to the NR-819. The 2238 is still awesome and its tuner sound quality is not of this world. On this Marantz FM sounds better then CD, and if my concern was radio i would pick the 2238 hands down. All my stuff is FLAC though and the NR-819 is just more all around for the music i listen too.

PS. Here is NR-719 i talked about. Moving on to the Pioneer soon.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 131
  • led.jpg
    led.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 104
  • overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: VUx
I am interested in trying a nr819. I currently have both nr715 and nr 815. They both have same sound signature to me. I had the 715 first and my only complaint was the bass is muddy sounding. I saw a nice 815 and I had hoped with extra watts (85 vs 38) I thought it would have tighter bass. but they are the same. the bass sounds great at low listening levels. very nice all day sound. can anyone steer me here? are all their receivers designed with loose bass? any tighter lines out there?

Back
Top Bottom