Steelman Console, Should I nab it?

racfan9

Hi To All,

Found this at a 2nd hand store, Never heard of a Steelman Console but it looks like it was quiet a beast back in it's day. The amp and tuner in this looks a lot like the Harmon Karmon back in that time frame. Any chance Steelman used them. The companion speaker has the same compliment of speakers as the main console, dang that's alot of speakers any idea of the power output of this thing. There asking $100, might take a little less so should I jump on it or not? Also it's been in the same family since it was bought new.

Thanks, racfan9

Attachments

• steelman1.jpg
    steelman1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 229
  • steelman2.jpg
    steelman2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 173
  • steelman3.jpg
    steelman3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 115
  • steelman4.jpg
    steelman4.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 200
  • steelman5.jpg
    steelman5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
i wouldn't be into it for quite that much

output tube configuration I'm guessing is push-pull 6bq5. strange physical layout but it looks like 2 are on the side, 2 on top. If thats what it is, output power is about 15 per channel.

Heard of Steelman but they are not what you would call common by any means. I'd try to get it for a better price, but 100 bones is not ridiculously overpriced. Where are you going to find another one? Interesting design, that's for sure.

That's a huge Power Transformer in there and the tube layout seems rather odd being mounted sideways.
I never heard of Steelman.

I never heard of Steelman.

I have one, BOTL with changer and AM radio, hot chassis. Essentially a tube AM AA5 radio with really big speakers. Looks like yours is higher quality, and may be worth considering.
steelman1.jpg

I've seen worse buys for a hundred bucks. At worst, you could probably part it out and make a few bucks selling each piece separately.

$100 ?!? Big deal. That ain't even 2 full tanks of gas any more, & you'll likely have a LOT more fun w/this Bad Boi than you would w/2 tanks of gas..

$100 ?!? Big deal. That ain't even 2 full tanks of gas any more, & you'll likely have a LOT more fun w/this Bad Boi than you would w/2 tanks of gas..

I'd assume the hesitation is based on overall value and quality of the stereo more than just the asking price. Most people can drop a hundred dollars on a hobby, but few want to waste time, money, and effort to bring home a blah-sounding ho-hum piece of gear. Many of us don't have the extra space to waste on a sub-par console, but we'll try to make room for a really nice one!

From what I've read about the Steelman units (which isn't much), they are quality pieces, and should be worth it!

It's kind of ugly IMO, so I'd just try to get it for that amp with the nice power transformer for as cheap as they'll go.

It all depends on the car and how willing she is!:D

Now that is a name I have not heard in like forever and forgotten. Used to see them along with Andrea televisions in consoles and custom in wall builds. It is an oddity and that makes it interesting enough.

Andrea was a high end television chassis manufacturer targeting the customer installers market.

It looks like a 2-piece console, which means it's probably a stereo tube amp (Right? Maybe? I think) In any case, that's pretty cool in and of itself.
However, it looks like it ought to have cowboy legs on the console itself. Plus it has some dings in the finish and refinishing is time consuming and a smelly hassle. Bust their balls on that and get them down on the price. Offer $60 and settle at $75.

It does have the same legs as the companion set. I actually picked this up last week got it for $50 but it's going to be bear to do anything with. Am tuner is shot FM may be ok. On the preamp 3 of the 5 pots are froze solid already busted one off trying to get it to move. This may in up as a salvage just to get my $50 back. The thing does have 12 speakers, 6 in the console and 6 more in the companion cabinet.. I posted another thread on tube audio about a week ago if you want to jump over to it.

Thanks,
racfan9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom