Dahlquist DQ 10???? Avid???

Jayrosc

So someone I know is moving and wants to trade some stereo stuff for some work around his house. The speakers are these big flat weird things called Dalquist DQ 10....a pair of them. They look to be in good shape but clearly "vintage." He's also got 2 pairs of AVID speakers...also vintage looking but in good shape. Running all of them is a big, fat NAD amp/receiver but i don't which one it is or how old it is, but I'm told it has a phono input. Lastly there's an NAD CD player.
I just agreed to a swap even though I've never heard of these things or heard these specific units. What did I get? An audio gold mine? Or 50 bucks worth of yardsale goodies?

Goldmine...especially the DQ-10's and if the NAD receiver is a model 7600. AVID speakers are also well regarded and are some of the better vintage east coast speakers.

If you decide you don't want any of items, I will be happy to take them off your hands.

Dq-10???

Huge score! Where do you live? Ill give you fitty bucks!:thmbsp:

So someone I know is moving and wants to trade some stereo stuff for some work around his house. The speakers are these big flat weird things called Dalquist DQ 10....a pair of them. They look to be in good shape but clearly "vintage." He's also got 2 pairs of AVID speakers...also vintage looking but in good shape. Running all of them is a big, fat NAD amp/receiver but i don't which one it is or how old it is, but I'm told it has a phono input. Lastly there's an NAD CD player.
I just agreed to a swap even though I've never heard of these things or heard these specific units. What did I get? An audio gold mine? Or 50 bucks worth of yardsale goodies?

Okay. This is very encouraging. The work I agreed to would generally bring a $400.00 price tag. Seemed like a fair exchange, but if any of these things need fixing I'm dead cause I don't know how to fix! Would have to pay someone to do it.

Okay. This is very encouraging. The work I agreed to would generally bring a $400.00 price tag. Seemed like a fair exchange, but if any of these things need fixing I'm dead cause I don't know how to fix! Would have to pay someone to do it.

I would make sure they're in good order then before doing anything. But if you've agreed to it I guess you've already sealed the deal.

Either way though the gear in question is great stuff. The DQ-10s will need some work but it's easy peasy.. just do a search for baco99s DQ-10 restoration thread, you'll learn a lot.

I have had my dq 10 on the back burner since picking up la scalas. Last week, I was testing out a new to sx 950. Those dq 10's sang.

I realize that it is less than ideal power but it sure sounded nice

The speakers alone are close to worth it alone.. But if your getting an amp as well? You got them much much better end of this bargain.

DQ-10s go for $300-$400 around here. A monster NAD amp (I assume it's very powerful to be matched with the DQs) can and will fetch more than the speakers. Do the work and take them and RUN! And if you want the $400 for all that stuff PM me :)

I'll be picking this stuff up tomorrow and/or friday. First time I'll be seeing it up close. It'll be a fun weekend around my house....

Just remeber, those DQ-10s really open up at higher wattage amps, not sure what that NAD amp is, but those speakers like a lot of power.

got the stuff. Amp is indeed an NAD 7600. Gotta read the manual before turning this thing on though. Too many setting options that I don't recognize and the inputs have odd names. Don't want to hook up the DQ-10's until I know the amp better. Also, I don't see a way to check the speakers surrounds. Front grill/fabric seems on there for good...

What Avid's did you get?

The Avid part of the deal fell through. They were all fastened very very securely high on walls. I took the front fabric off all four and found that all of surrounds were rotted away. Decided against doing the work to fetch them....they were two way speakers, but I couldn't look at the backs to get a number,,,

Funny how different parts of the country are so different, they wouldn't last a day around here for $200

Unfortunately I can't even hook them up to see how they sound. The NAD 7600 has issues....only a faint signal comes though the right channel when in stereo mode. In mono it is fine, but I'm not gonna risk hurting the DQ-10's. I'll wait until I find out what the hell is wrong with the amp. Shame. I'm running the amp now into some crap speakers I had laying around and it makes even those sound good...well in the left channel anyway. I'm hoping that just getting the juices flowing might free things up...not a techy, so.....

Did you friend say it worked before giving it to you? Whats the model number, maybe we can find a common, easily repairable problem with them?

Back
Top Bottom