Yamaha receiver -- custom veneer job

myu701

Vintage futurist
I've seen a few posts here and there where people exhibit their Yamaha CR-xxxx receiver that has been redone with a real wood veneer. Some people did it themselves, while others had them done by a professional (or amateur with very good skill). My newly acquired CR-2040 looks pretty presentable, but I'm interested in having the faux veneer done with real wood. Not sure if people typically keep the plywood foundation or do a completely new cover altogether. I imagine in most cases the veneer has to be supplied to the craftsman (no problem--I'm currently looking at several types).

If folks here could offer up suggestions, please send me via PM if you'd rather not post publicly about it. Thanks!

I've not done a veneer job myself but I have stripped vinyl of speakers and I can tell you it's very easy to remove the vinyl. In all likelihood you'll be left with a good surface suitable for veneering. Some surface conditioning will surely be necessary to square edges and sanding to remove any residual traces of adhesive but it's surely easier, faster and much more economical than building a whole new box.

I've removed vinyl with aluminum foil sheet between vinyl and a cheap household iron. Very easy and quick. Just heat a an iron-width strip and immediately peel away then move on to the next iron-width strip.

Someday, I'll do a veneer upgrade project on a receiver or speaker. My worry has always been my own ability to exhibit fine craftsmanship trimming the edges. Sounds like you'll hire this out though.

Good luck with your project.

The CR-2040 case is very nicely done.

Quoting Merrylander:

The imitation Rosewood finish is done with lacquer, so you strip it with paint stripper, not a heat gun. Now it is one heck of a finish to get that effect with lacquer, but I still prefer my veneers."

Glad you chimed in Mr. B. as that could result in a mess if not known before hand. Is there vinyl below the lacquer? I wonder if the xx20 and xx00 series are similarly faux finished or just vinyl.

Glad you chimed in Mr. B. as that could result in a mess if not known before hand. Is there vinyl below the lacquer? I wonder if the xx20 and xx00 series are similarly faux finished or just vinyl.
There is no vinyl under the lacquer. :no:

Have you decided on a veneer yet?

Interesting... so it's not a vinyl but some other material? Overall, it does display nicely. There is a "visible grain" to it as well (slight texture). I may just repair the few nicks in it and just see if it'll pass. The surface area is 15" x 35". I've priced some veneers offered up by reputable sellers on eBay and pricing for decent quality is anywhere from $50 to $200, depending upon the type of wood. Sure would be easier to do the flush mount casing! I'm expecting that to pay someone to do it would run at least $200. Is that about right?

Refinish Cr 2040

I'm looking to get my Yamaha CR 2040 redone to I would love to see if somebody could help me out with that. Haven't had much luck with any replies I've asked before.

I'm looking to get my Yamaha CR 2040 redone to I would love to see if somebody could help me out with that. Haven't had much luck with any replies I've asked before.
Same here, I am using mine as an integrated amp, as the tuner thread is undone, amp meter not working and many led? lamps are out, I have owned it since brand new in 1979.

I'm a cabinetmaker. Happy to post some instructions on veneering if you guys are interested in having a go yourselves.

I'm a cabinetmaker. Happy to post some instructions on veneering if you guys are interested in having a go yourselves.
Can't believe there have been no takers here. I'll bite! While I've done my share of Minor woodworking and edgebanding veneer I've never taken on something like this and would be happy for some tips ( 2 years later).

Yes over two years on, l can't believe no interest either, l for one would be very keen on some veneering pointers from a cabinetmaker :thumbsup:.

Well, he hasn't been around for a few months, but if he comes back I bet he'd be happy to share. I know I'd be interested.

Funny I didn't see this thread before. I just finished a cr-2020 in walnut and it looks pretty good. I'me using the pva method pretty much exclusively now, very easy and clean way to do it.946187-yamaha-ns1000m.jpg

I have used Danish oil on completely sanded back veneer, so should work just as well on new raw veneer. You can use it over stain also if needed.

Would be interesting to hear what KenP used?

The finish I usually put is tung oil to seal and bring out the grain then semi gloss acrylic spray pain. Spray a coat then sound down the high spots do this about 20 times and you get a smooth not too shiny surface.

The finish I usually put is tung oil to seal and bring out the grain then semi gloss acrylic spray pain. Spray a coat then sound down the high spots do this about 20 times and you get a smooth not too shiny surface.

Thanks for that KenP, that is great info :thumbsup:.

Back
Top Bottom