NS-1000m vs. NS-500m

SuperLead100

"These go to 11"
So, I always see a great deal of high praise for 1000m's; and though I haven't heard them in person, I'm sure they are worthy of such. However, I am an owner and lover of NS-500m's. I'd like to know if anyone has done a direct A/B comparison of these two, and if so, how do they compare sonically? Given their relative market value (and there is quite a spread), if you had to choose based on dollar value and sonic value, what would you choose?
Just curious, I've wondered this for quite a while now.

Here comes a very biased opinion based on my experience. Started with the NS-50T and then moved up to a pair of NS-200M. I was pleased with what sounded to me to be unadulterated clarity. So I then opted for a pair of NS-1000M and have never looked back.

When you ask what one would choose based on dollar value and sonic value, I guess it depends on how much one is willing to spend for perceived or real sound "improvement". What one listener finds pleasing another may not. I'd just go for the NS-1000M and then perhaps sell the NS-500M if you can't keep both. Just my opinion.

I'm sure here are speakers that sound better to some folks than the NS-1000M but I've quit looking. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
John

By the way, in Barter Town that is available to subscribers, there's a nice pair of NS-1000M not too, too far from you and selling for a lot less than what some folks try to get on eBay. One word of caution though. If you spend too much time on BT you'll end up getting too many good deals ;) Ask me how I know.

From somosui "when you ask what one would choose based on dollar value and sonic value, I guess it depends on how much one is willing to spend for perceived or real sound "improvement".

Yes, I'm asking a highly subjective question. With that understanding, that is one of the reasons I chose the 1000m. It seems, to my knowledge, the 500m is the closest relation in the Yamaha family. There are some here who own 1000m and 690's; some prefer the 690's. I'm really interested in a direct A/B comparison of 1000m to 500m.

Last edited:
As one who vowed one day to have an all Yamaha vintage system my trek has a similar feel to yours... Two summers ago an absolutely mint pair of NS 1000's with their original matching stands showed up locally on CL, as the guy only lived about two miles from me I knew I had to have these even at his $1000 asking price. He assured me they were perfect so I grabbed a handful of CD's and went directly over there, to say they were mint would be an understatement. The price tag was still attached to the back of one of the cabinets! Now, this person wasn't the actual owner, they belonged to his terminally ill father and he was selling them for his dad. Dad made clear to him what he had there and gave him strict instructions that the price was firm, (including the stands). Now I was prepared to fork over the money for a museum grade piece of audio history but I HAD to hear them first.

Well, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement, I realize the equipment he had running them was certainly not up to snuff (Sony A/V receiver and CD player) but they just didn't cut it for me. I tried dozens of tunes and while they sounded OK I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I questioned whether the equipment I had at home would really be able to show what these were capable of and told him I'd think it over. Well they were gone the next day and while I was disappointed I still feel I made the right choice as I just didn't feel they were worth that kinda scratch. Oddly enough a few weeks later I found a nice pair of NS690's on CL and gladly paid $225 for them, they mate perfectly with my CR1020 and I couldn't be happier.

So I guess "value" is a little different for everyone, I suspect if you love your NS500's as you say you do I would imagine the 1000's may sound a touch better, how much that's worth to you only you can decide.

Yes, I think you see where I'm coming from; but I'm asking this question more out of curiosity than any desire to own a set of 1000m's. Would it be nice? Yes. I suppose I am hypothesizing that for an extra 7 or 8 hundred your not going to get that much more an improvement in sound over 500m's. I could be very wrong but I'd like to hear from anyone who has heard both side by side. It may be a long shot I know.

I don't own both n never did side by side but I've heard the 1000m on my system when a buddy loaned me his to try b4 n I bought 500m, to my ears the highs are them same between both, the mids seem a little more detailed n transparent on the 1000m, now bass the 500m hits harder but not as detailed as 1000m who seem to be a little shy in the low end. Now the 1000m being 8ohms are easier for my c-45/m-45 to drive compared to the 500m at 6ohms at louder volume because at farily loud volume with out any hint of distorten my m-45 will go in n out of protection with every hard hitting bass note until I turn it down a bit. It didn't seem to do it with the 1000m so Is the 1000m worth 700 or so more green backs. It depends on your equipment n ur ears I guess. But at the moment im happy with my current set up of c-45/m-45/ns-500m so no but I I plan to upgrade to a m-65 or m-80/85 frist then decided if I want the 1000m.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

The NS-1000M has Be tweeter and midrange while the 500M has Be and Ti domes. IMO, this mixing of metals results in less cohesion of mids and highs. We are talking about the most subtle difference but it is apparent when A/B-ing.

The NS-1000M has Be tweeter and midrange while the 500M has Be and Ti domes. IMO, this mixing of metals results in less cohesion of mids and highs. We are talking about the most subtle difference but it is apparent when A/B-ing.

$700 or $800 subtle? If I recall, you may be the only ak'r that has done a direct A/B on these speakers. If it were you and you had to lay out the cash; could you be happy choosing 500m's after a side by side listen?

Take a look at Be properties as an acoustic material. IMO, the answer is clear. This being said, both are worthy.

Take a look at Be properties as an acoustic material. IMO, the answer is clear. This being said, both are worthy.
I currently own several Yamaha NS series speakers.10's,200's,500M's,670's,and 1000's.I had the 5's but sold them.My favorite? At first I loved the 500M,and then next in line the 200's and 1000's.I felt the 1000's were as described by many as harsh and tinny.Then I did a true comparison using a Marantz 22285B.To say the least my opinion changed.The 1000's are everything people describe,an experience no other speaker can come close to.I find the terms used to explain sound as vague,so all I can say is I heard secondary sounds that I never knew existed.So now I am starting over and doing a true scientific comparison of the other's.Having many good receiver and or preamp/amp combos and other speakers worthy ,this will take awhile,but then that's what it's all about.

I currently own several Yamaha NS series speakers.10's,200's,500M's,670's,and 1000's.I had the 5's but sold them.My favorite? At first I loved the 500M,and then next in line the 200's and 1000's.I felt the 1000's were as described by many as harsh and tinny.Then I did a true comparison using a Marantz 22285B.To say the least my opinion changed.The 1000's are everything people describe,an experience no other speaker can come close to.I find the terms used to explain sound as vague,so all I can say is I heard secondary sounds that I never knew existed.So now I am starting over and doing a true scientific comparison of the other's.Having many good receiver and or preamp/amp combos and other speakers worthy ,this will take awhile,but then that's what it's all about.

Interestingly, I have owned multiple examples of all the Yammies you mention except the 670 which I only had one pair. I've also had two 2285B's and a non-B. We can dismiss the 10 for as the uncivilized rascals that have ruined countless mixes. The 500M does have a Be tweeter but the mid range is a different metal, either Ti or Al. So, the 500M will always be second to the 1000M. I've played the 200M with the 2285B and I found that the 200M's greater forgiveness complimented the 2285B which while a pleasant sounding amp is the not most objectively accurate. Same goes for the 670 which is even more forgiving. The 1000M thrives on high power separates that are fast and objectively accurate. With the right recording, the sound is nothing short of an epiphany. It is that good. With the wrong recording, the sound is so bad that the track cannot be enjoyed. In this context, the 1000M is less versatile than the 200M especially when pairing with a receiver. Anyways, fine collection you have and looking forward to your results.

Interestingly, I have owned multiple examples of all the Yammies you mention except the 670 which I only had one pair. I've also had two 2285B's and a non-B. We can dismiss the 10 for as the uncivilized rascals that have ruined countless mixes. The 500M does have a Be tweeter but the mid range is a different metal, either Ti or Al. So, the 500M will always be second to the 1000M. I've played the 200M with the 2285B and I found that the 200M's greater forgiveness complimented the 2285B which while a pleasant sounding amp is the not most objectively accurate. Same goes for the 670 which is even more forgiving. The 1000M thrives on high power separates that are fast and objectively accurate. With the right recording, the sound is nothing short of an epiphany. It is that good. With the wrong recording, the sound is so bad that the track cannot be enjoyed. In this context, the 1000M is less versatile than the 200M especially when pairing with a receiver. Anyways, fine collection you have and looking forward to your results.[/QUOTE
I do have two amps with high power,an SAE 2400 (analog meters) which is 200 wpc I believe, and a NAD C272 which is around 160 wpc.

Sorry,that last post was sent prematurely.The pre amps I have at my disposal are a Yamaha C50 and a NAD.Being a newbie, i haven't had the nerve to use the SAE on anything except a pair of JBL E100 that i purchased at a cheap price.Puttihng such a high powered amp on my best speakers leaves me a little concerned.I understand that it is not necessary to crank it up,but does it make a difference if one low powered amp vs a high one when only 20 or 80 watts are used?

As a teen, I used to rock my face off to my Dads NS-1000's. I recently purchased my own set. Unfortunately the driver on one was damaged during shipping, the exact problem everyone has, magnet shifted and shut down the voice coil. I have a replacement driver on the way and my dad is going to install it for me. I absolutely cannot wait for the sound that will come from these bad boys!

As a teen, I used to rock my face off to my Dads NS-1000's. I recently purchased my own set. Unfortunately the driver on one was damaged during shipping, the exact problem everyone has, magnet shifted and shut down the voice coil. I have a replacement driver on the way and my dad is going to install it for me. I absolutely cannot wait for the sound that will come from these bad boys!

There are videos on repairing the magnets and I'm pretty sure some places you can send it out so definitely hang on to the damaged driver.

What amp are you running with the NS1000s?

There are videos on repairing the magnets and I'm pretty sure some places you can send it out so definitely hang on to the damaged driver.

What amp are you running with the NS1000s?
I currently have my grandfathers 2220b Marantz, may need a stand alone amp, or to replace it eventually. But the 2220 has a great deal of sentimental value to me.

Sorry,that last post was sent prematurely.The pre amps I have at my disposal are a Yamaha C50 and a NAD.Being a newbie, i haven't had the nerve to use the SAE on anything except a pair of JBL E100 that i purchased at a cheap price.Puttihng such a high powered amp on my best speakers leaves me a little concerned.I understand that it is not necessary to crank it up,but does it make a difference if one low powered amp vs a high one when only 20 or 80 watts are used?

In general, higher powered amps are going to be faster and more transparent sounding, which NS-1000M's thrive on. NS-1000M's reveal slow (low powered) amps to be dull and uninspiring. More importantly, high powered amps will have plenty of headroom so are less likely to clip. Clipping is bad for speakers, especially tweeters. Considering the cost of Be tweeters, you would be wise to use the highest power amp in your collection. Use common sense with the volume control and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom