Pioneer SX glass compatibility

nbndtrain

I picked up a nice SX-1010 on eBay and the glass showed up broken, even though the seller removed the tuning knob. I am looking for alternatives, and am wondering about the SX-737. It has three holes, but the tuning knob hole would need to be enlarged. Are the parts identical otherwise? Much easier to find, priced reasonably, than a 939.

In the end I will most likely just have something made from tinted glass or lexan, but looking for alternatives. Thanks.

download the three manuals, compare the dimensions and relative proportions. just what I would do.

I am not hopeful, as I have pursued 1010 glass replacement in the past.

Your best bet will be acrylic - that large hole makes it hard to fabricate in glass.

The 939 and 1010 use the same glass. The 737 is about 3" less wide and the glass won't fit.

I'm with Mark. If it's broke in large pieces and the hole area is fairly intact, take it to a glass shop that also works acrylic/lexan/plex. It doesn't need to be tinted as the background dial sheet is black with the lettering/numbers reverse silkscreened. Find a Hobby shop that deals with HO and N Gauge trains and get some pressure transfer lettering, and redo the FM mute and lamp bright/dim lettering.

You can drill your own glass with a little patience. I've done it for receiver fronts (and other things). A glass core drill is not prohibitively expensive. The smaller holes for the pushbuttons will be a little tougher, but not so bad that it isn't worth investigating. You might even contact a local glass company to cut/drill the piece. they likely have all the necessary material and equipment.

The problem with acrylic (Plexiglas), polycarbonate (Lexan), styrene, and whatever other names and other types of plastic is that they will scratch more easily, eventually craze and discolor, and dull from UV. Even the heat from dial lamps will take a toll.

Back
Top Bottom