Pioneer SX-440

RoGuE

Hello

I just wanted to make a post and show off my SX-440. My mom bought it new in 1971. It seems to be really clean and well kept for its age. It only has 2 issues, one broken bulb socket and the volume dial needs a good cleaning as it crackles a bit.

So if anyone can tell me what to do to fix the bulb socket, that would be great.

One other thing. My dad told me he brought it in to have something fixed back in the 80s but he cannot remember what was wrong with it and what it needed but it was expensive as he recalls. I was curious if there were any known things that could have gone bad with it, or if something was evidently replaced in the pictures. I couldn't see anything that had been worked on.

And here are the pictures:

pionerrfrontangle.jpg

pioneerfront.jpg

pioneerbackb.jpg

pioneerinsidetop.jpg

pioneerinsidebottom.jpg

The bad bulb socket
pioneerbadbulb.jpg

Good socket for reference
pioneergoodbulb.jpg

And I have these JVC SK-S22 speakers connected to it. You could never guess this system is only 12 WPC.
jvcspeakers.jpg

That looks like a nice receiver...And it even has a set of speaker plugs...:yes::thmbsp:

A lot of the time those go lost somewhere along the way...

I do not know it if that lamp socket can be repaired...But in the olden days I have repaired lamp sockets like that by using a small bolt and passing it from the inside of the socket to the bottom and using a washer and nut to secure the wire...Just making sure that it does not short to the outer shell.

But someone may come along that can recommend a source for it.

Good luck and thanks for the pictures.

I actually have both sets of speaker plugs and one extra set somewhere. :banana:

It seems like there is a paper washer missing and I could probably fab something up but I can't see how that wire part makes contact with the base of the bulb. I like that idea with the screw but I would be too nervous about the screw touching the side, even if I had an insulator of some sort around it, unless I applied a heat shrink tube on it.

Thanks for your input.

Boy that is one clean receiver inside :yes:. I'd look on the auction site as well as at local thrift stores for a "sacrificial lamb" for the bulb holder, but JBL GUY suggestion would work or until you find the replacement. Looking at the bulb socket (same ones that are on my SX-9000), it appears that an old fashion socket in a flashlight (the old incandescent bulb type of flashlight) might work too :scratch2: which a person could find in a thrift store for under $1.

Take the lamp socket with you to your local hardware store....And find a screw with the diameter of the head of the screw that is smaller than the inside diameter of the socket...It can be considerable smaller...

Then you will need an "Insulator" to go under the screw head in side the socket and on the outside where the insulators are on the good lamp socket...Just look though the drawers of washers and you will find the correct size fiber washer...

You can wrap some black electrical tape around the screw where it passes through the base of the lamp and that will keep the screw centered.

The hardware store might even have a nylon bushing the correct size to do that.

You might have to trim the fiber washer and the bushing just a little bit for a good fit.

It sounds kinda complicated but I have done many that way in the past and it is actually fairly easy.

Then just stack it all back together ... in the same order as the good socket... and put a lock washer and a nut on the outside end and tighten it all down...The head of the screw will not move...And it will stay centered in the lamp socket.

Of course you can alway just buy a new socket...From your pictures it looks like you would need a "Slot Up" type of socket....So it would mount correctly.

No affiliation...Just for information...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://photogiftsgalore.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/40614071.jpg&imgrefurl=http://photogiftsgalore.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html&usg=__SU8x0RzDg_S5DkyzlGERvTitSNw=&h=288&w=288&sz=57&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=nckvjcPF7tOeUM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dminuture%2Bscrew%2Bbase%2Blamp%2Bsockets%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I see. I understand that perfectly. I happen to work at Lowe's so I'll gather supplies the next time I'm in. Thanks!

Very nice indeed:thmbsp: I own the big brother & it's a nice sounding piece of gear, Enjoy:banana:

Last edited:
Cool! I like how yours has a separate balance control. This one that is integrated into the volume knob is a pain.

Lampsocket damaged

Hello, My name is Jaap and i'm a new member from The Netherlands. I have been reading this thread with great interest, i have the SX-440 myself and i like it very much. I think it looks great and sounds fantastic, serves all my needs. Yesterday however something extremely stupid happened. I wanted to change the lightbulb behind the tuning meter as that has been dead since purchase a couple of weeks ago.

Even though this is not such a difficult task i managed to break the lampsocket while bending the clamp that holds it to make the job easier. Result after breaking the lampsocket is that now all light are dead and i'm left with a completely black unit.

I'm not very technical and have therefore no clue if this is very bad or not so. Perhaps a fuse has blown somewhere? After opening the bottom plate i saw that the blue wire that runs past all the lapsockets runs to a large soldered fuse. I can't se through the plastic that surrounds the fuse if it's blown or not. Before cutting the plastic away from the fuse i wanted to now if that's perhaps the cause of the problem thats all lights are off. I would like to have at least the other lights back working again. The unit seems to be working fine, it's only the lights that are all dead. Thanks or any help in advance! See pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_3483.JPG
    DSC_3483.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_3481.JPG
    DSC_3481.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Here's another photo of my SX-440 together with the Pioneer PL-12AC turntable. I purchased both units a couple of weeks ago and paid 90 euro's in total. Note: this photo was of course taken before i damaged the lampsocket behind the tuning meter.

ps: the glass/plastic still looks a bit foggy on this photo. That was easily cleaned through a small gap after opening the unit by removing the wooden frame.

Attachments

• DSC_3444.jpg
    DSC_3444.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I have a 440 that has a blown channel, i'd let it go for 20.00 but shipping it would probley kill the deal. Its in really nice shape also but missing the plugs

LX-440a silver front

A couple months ago I bought a Pioneer LX-440a from a collector/horder of vintage HiFi. He cleaned it up and sold it to me with speaker connectors and with new bulbs installed.
However after a few weeks the dial pointer is no longer red but has turned green. I assume this is because the buld has died. And the signal strength scale isn't as bright as some I have seen in pictures.

What type of bulbs go in a LX-440a? I have the wiring diagram, but am not sure I am reading this correctly. Is there a source for LED lights that fit?

(I need to figure out how to upload pictures from my Flickr account)

Wiring diagram for a Pioneer LX-440a
https://flic.kr/p/rr4gq8

https://flic.kr/p/r7JUh2

In the second picture the dial is still burning red and the wood is still dull. I have also made the wood look like brand new with some furniture polish.

Its a 6 volt lamp. Not sure of the Amp rating.

This guy has the lamp you need:

David Wojnarowski

I just received an ordered the whole set for a SX-770 and the total with shipping was $17.50. I would replace every one of them. Easy work except the dial pointer, its a turd. Plan on some extra time. You have to dissemble the front dial assembly and lamp housing to get at it.

Back
Top Bottom