Tweaking sx1980

My friend and I are restoring a 1980 we have it up and running did the Service bulletins and calibrate it runs good but it sound ok . We're gonna try to tighten up the bass and get some more detail out of it were going to introduce some Polly propylene caps in the beginning of the preamp and see what it does. Does anybody have a good recipe to make this Titan stand out
Thanks

work backwards from the amp with the polys.

tone control would have to be poly just straight thru because of higher capacitances involved in actual tone circuitry.

You should be judging STARTING WITH fresh caps INCLUDING using Nichicon UKL caps in all the ceanl, cssa and csza locations. THEN migrate to shoehorning in large polys in the audio path. Again, working backwards from the power amps.

I did the recap on a 1980 per MTF's list and found that a good 20 hours or more is needed for some burn-in. If it's fallacy, or my ears get use to the sound, it makes a difference. I guess what I am saying is, let it get a good workout before you make changes.

Thanks for your input fellows this is a great hobby I just got into and whats better I have a friend that's teaching me this stuff and now I have you guys thanks there not much to do here in buffalo in the winter months will get back to you after surgery

What we have done so far is replaced the two coupling cap in the beginning stage of the preamp with polypropylene caps and then it seem to make a little differents then we put some poly caps in the beginning stage of the amp didn't do much now my tech wants to replace the caps in the in the pre amp just the ones that are in the signal path he want to take out Electrolytic and replace them with some high quality tantalum caps does anyone has any input on that

I think the whole thing is a waste of time and money.
Speakers are the deciding factor. Replacing components is an exercise when wanting to make the set reliable and operate correctly.

NO tantalums. They have their uses, but passing quality audio isn't one of them.

And piecemeal e-cap replacement... looking for an improvement before all the signal path is done... like paving a path through a mud bog, in pieces, and then getting discouraged because the undone muddy patches are getting the clean new path and your shoes dirty.

I think the whole thing is a waste of time and money.
Speakers are the deciding factor. Replacing components is an exercise when wanting to make the set reliable and operate correctly.

I'm glad somebody agrees with me....

I convinced my buddy to put the ploy caps in it seemed to make I little difference this was just and experiment we were trying to make something special all these caps we replaced were all out of spec so they had to go we were just trying to clean up the bottom end . I understand speaker are the key to any system but if you can make your amp control them better wouldn't you be better off ? Polypropylene caps pass sound better then then electrolytic ? The tantalum thing was just one of by buddies theory's I have a small collection of pieces like that we're just trying to make this one stand on as it should

I get "Why do you waste your time on the old sets? New is much better." from friends all the time. Especially when I tell them they are wasting their time on whatever! So your plan is right for you. Go for it! The one thing I know is: Going in and out of the old sets is a tricky endeavor. Every time you mess with a component, board or cosmetic item you risk damaging them. In and out is the best practice. Good luck and thanks for the thread; it could end up helpful. I'll keep watching.

I agree it's addicting this is the stuff we wanted as kids and couldn't get it's way better then just passing money over the bar
Take care

We'll we got it done using ploy caps it was I lot of work and coin be it made and improvement for sure it tighten up be bass some and seems to have a little more detail it's a real nice piece thanks marc

Back
Top Bottom