SMAC February 2015

Well I'm #4 :D

2147.jpg

You're pretty good at this Dave. Are you going to be contributing???

I'm still all foobared up on JRiver and file sharing/libraries with an W7 laptop and XP desktop holding the main files.

There's so much to cover; this should be quite interesting.

Kinda geeked about this meet.

I talked with Marty and I am going to bring some DSD files as he will be showing a music server/DAC from Cocktail Audio that supports DSD.

Now if I can remember that this is a Sunday event I will be all set.

I think I was #22. Darn day job.

I'm kind of an analog animal, but I'm embracing this digital stuff more and more. I'm curious to learn about digital domain VTF and SRA calibration, updated stylus drivers for lowest distortion, and the latest DSD pressings from Europe and Japan. I'm sure I'll bring home some useful information. :D

I can bring some 192/24 files :D That would be really geeky also.

The wife an I are planning to hit Social Kitchen and Bar after the SMAC event for dinner - just PM me if interested as we will try to make reservations :D

Your covered DC :D

Thanks - make it for two if you can. We'll be there.

I was number 1. but my wrestling coaching takes precedent over my audio hobby! Building State champions is my other hobby ! Have fun guys. Marty will put a good show on. I feel good knowing there was a waiting list and someone can enjoy my spot!

Nice seeing you all again!

Can't wait until the new SMAC Clubhouse ~ Record Store ~ Micro Brewery ~ Coffee & Desert joint becomes a reality! :D

It was nice wasn't it Dave. Being locked up in the house for so long it was great to get out.

Maybe we could do a Kick Starter campaign to raise the money for the building!

Yep, it was a good time. Nice to see the gang and the presentations were interesting. The questions showed just how much is involved here and also how wide ranging opinions can be.

I'd be interested in knowing what some are doing as far as backups and protection (Dave??) since I've suffered two losses already. One recoverable one with the metadata/.wav files and a second with a backup HD failure.

FWIW, I picked up one of those docks that has an eSATA connection to copy my music to a 2TB loose disk that I can store away from my desktop in case of disaster. Just stick it in the cradle and let it copy. Now I just have do it...:D

Thanks to Harry, Marty, Jay and all for taking the time to spend with us!!

I'd be interested in knowing what some are doing as far as backups and protection (Dave??) since I've suffered two losses already. One recoverable one with the metadata/.wav files and a second with a backup HD failure.

I wonder if we will even care about backing up our files in a couple of years?

That Tidal streaming (and whatever is next) is the future.

BTW, what did you guys think of Sara Bareilles version of Yellow Brick Road ?

Last edited:
I wonder if we will even care about backing up our files in a couple of years?

That Tidal streaming (and whatever is next) is the future.

Could be. That might be the death of hardcopy in a lot of things. What will folks look for at garage sales in 2065???? :scratch:

BTW, what did you guys think of Sara Bareilles version of Yellow Brick Road ?

I found most the samples standard audiophile fare, which basically doesn't engage me much. Well recorded music w/o much gut impact. I hit them all up on Shazam and replayed most here. Well, Not Knopfler, as he just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I liked the bass & mandolin one the best, but I'm fond of acoustic strings. Some screechy violins would have been fun :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSyvG5-mv44

Last edited:
I found most the samples standard audiophile fare, which basically doesn't engage me much. Well recorded music w/o much gut impact. I hit them all up on Shazam and replayed most here. Well, Not Knopfler, as he just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I liked the bass & mandolin one the best, but I'm fond of acoustic strings. Some screechy violins would have been fun :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSyvG5-mv44

Funny, pretty much my thoughts, although I believe this was the first time I had ever actually heard all the lyrics to that song. I was thinking 'did she just sing Hunting the horny back toad'

I had the Garcia & Grissman ~ So What jazz CD in the car I should have brought in for an acoustic strings fix.

I should have brought that Django high end disc set I picked up last year.
Garcia and Grisman would have been good too.

Back
Top Bottom