New (old) toy, Yamaha DSP 1

Capt Odyssea

In Yamalibrium
A bit of back story, an Older friend lent me this unit about 25 years ago, had it on the In/outs of my first RX1100u,
had it for 6 months but didn't have 6 channels of amps or enough speakers, gave it back.
Fast forward to today, we had been talking about out toys of old, a few weeks ago,
he had gotten it back from his brother in Chicago, shipped it to Fla, then here,
and gave it to me!

The brother wan't using it anyway.

and I now have the amplifiers and speakers to run it properly!

now to find a suitable room..........

Too cool. Good Karma to ya Uncle Louis!

Cool beans.....I am curious to see how it compares with your Yammy E1000.
Speaking of, have you hooked up a sub to the E1000 yet?
A few months ago I started using a Velodyne HGS10 connected to my E1000 sub channel, it is stunning indeed, way cool controlling sub volume with the remote.

No Subs yet, ben thinking about playing around with one though.
I'm gonna tie the DSP-1 into the garage system to check it out,
using the two MX800 an one MX600 amps,
the speaker situation isn't ideal but should test things nicely.
I remember it has way more sound fields than the E1000, and more adjustable parameters,
and I have the remote from which those can be fiddled with!

I love new-old toys!

The DSP-1 had a lot of adjustments that apparently came from Yamaha's pro side that were subsequently dropped on later homer versions. I remember playing with settings such as Pan and Flange that I never saw again. Definitely the highest toy value of all the DSP units!

I bought one of these new back in the day. Was a new experience thats for sure...

I remember a commercial sound unit that Yamaha had back then, saw it in a local sound studio.
I think it was called the Prodigy?
It had all of the adjustable parameters and I want to say hard drive storage.

I need a Man Cavern.
And more amps and speakers.
I don't want to pillage the other systems, nor set this up in a closet/small room.

#1 son and I were talking about renting an auditorium and setting up EVERYTHING
in the inventory for a week, all running together.
A worthy bucket list item.

By the way,
The instruction manual references an M-35 (x2) for the surround channels, but wasn't there a specific companion unit?
Sorry, pulled up the M35, it is 4 channel so therefore one is needed, or two for more power per ch.

So, in thinking of amplifiers for the 4 surround channels, the M-35 or MX-35 seem to fit the bill however:
I'd like a bit more power on those,
anyone have thoughts on this?
Under 100W/ch but better than the 25-35W those would provide depending on 2 or 4 channel operation.

Decided on the m-35 amp, one to start, maybe score another to get the w/ch up a bit.
Looking forward to comparing to the E-1000 currently in the living room.

It's a great unit, the internals on it are lovely. Take the cover off and take a picture for all to see- it's a magnificent piece of audio/computer engineering. I've got a few in my storeroom, IIRC it's full of rubycon black gates and cerafine caps and a cool successive approximation A/D based on a BB DAC.
Set up properly with a 6 gang master volume, it's amazing- the key being not attentuating the input- keep it around 1.8 volts or so and attentuate all 6 outputs to the power amps simultaneously. Yamaha sold an MVR-xxx (master volume control) which almost nobody has.

Ahhh thanks for that bit of info,
yes I had noticed it behaved better driven like that.
I remember the master volume control also, and the timer unit.
I will uncover and take pics tomorrow.

Decided on the m-35 amp, one to start, maybe score another to get the w/ch up a bit.
Looking forward to comparing to the E-1000 currently in the living room.

May I ask how you have your DSP.E-1000 set up? Are you looping it through a pre-in/main-out of a pre/power amp set or just hanging a seperate amp on it for the fronts?

Cheers,
James

Running from the preouts of the RX1100u, but back in the RX straight for outside speakers,
MX1000u for the front mains.

Wanted straight stereo without having to defeat the processing.

Not sure if it adds/enhances the mains thru-put signal in addition to the 4 surround channels, so I went external.

It took a bit to understand what you mean, till I twigged that your E1000 is 7.1, but I'm still not quite picturing the connection setup exactly. My E800 is only 5.1 and I have it looped through the pre-out/main-in on my AX-1090 integrated. To go straight 2-channel I use the Pure-Direct switch, for HT I leave that off and the E800 becomes the pre-amp. Either way I loose the ability to use the tone/loudness on my AX. I was hoping that you had a way around that. Seems that you do, with those 2 extra channels?

Cheers,
James

Watching a movie, replied and got logged off!
OK, initially I got confused myself but here goes:

Rx1100u pre out is split x 3, one to processor, one to the MX1000u, one returns to the Rx1100u.
Rx is the master volume etc, E1000 levels are set and rise and fall w/ the RX control.

Make sense?
The E1000 is set for 7 channels via the switch.

Last edited:
In thinking about this, between the E1000 and the DSP-1,
I noticed the DSP-1 has no provisions for a center channel, but does have Dolby modes,
being the earlier of the two I suppose. so I'll be playing with it for the sound hall stuff,
I have secured two M35 amps, so I'll build a separate system for that effort,
Meaning i'll leave the E1000 in the main system

This is all getting a bit ridiculous but it is so satisfying......:)

Last edited:
Watching a movie, replied and got logged off!
OK, initially I got confused myself but here goes:

Rx1100u pre out is split x 3, one to processor, one to the MX1000u, one returns to the Rx1100u.
Rx is the master volume etc, E1000 levels are set and rise and fall w/ the RX control.

Make sense?
The E1000 is set for 7 channels via the switch.

Yes. Makes sense. I had never considered splitting the pre-out because I figured that splitting the output would halve the signal strength. Not so? This would seem to solve my problem. I'll have to find a quality Y-splitter and find out.

Up till now my plan was to try hanging the E800 either on an aux input of the AX or to try using a tape loop. But both of those solutions would seem to leave me needing to use the volume controls separately. At the moment my stand/cabinet makes switching cables around a pita but I'll be changing it out to a more open shelf setup in a few weeks and will do some experimenting then.

Thanks very much. Btw, a very nice collection of Yami gear there. Congrats. May you receive many years of enjoyment from it.

Cheers,
James

In thinking about this, between the E1000 and the DSP-1,
I noticed the DSP-1 has no provisions for a center channel, but does have Dolby modes,
being the earlier of the two I suppose. so I'll be playing with it for the sound hall stuff,
I have secured two M35 amps, so I'll build a separate system for that effort,
Meaning i'll leave the E1000 in the main system

This is all getting a bit ridiculous but it is so satisfying......:)

Btw, how many channels does the DSP-1 support? Any way that you could sum 2 channels to mono and use the output for a substitute center?

James

Cheers James,, try it w splitting, should work fine.
I used the ones with the female on the back end of one cable ends RCA males.
Rat Shack stuff.
Not the best but difficult to get higher quality bits and pieces here!
In thinking on Yamaha, of all brands and tech, it has been around for the longest,
insofar as use and reliability for me.

TO the DSP-1
It does have a single mono output, and a sub w/200hz cutoff,
The Mono is not labelled Center though.
I need to read upon that.

I have split the output from the Yamaha pre's up to the three, no undesirable effects that I can tell,

Thanks for the reply Cap, I found some OFC copper splitters from Amazon that look to be OK and pretty cheap. They're on the way. It'l probably be a couple of weeks before I mess with them though. If you are interested I'll post the results.

James

Back
Top Bottom