My Vintage McIntosh System

If you have the time, take the McIntosh factory tour while you're up there.
I definately would have enjoyed the opportunity to do so. However, I had a 13 1/2 hr drive from NY to NC yesterday - stopping at AudioClassics to pick up my amp/preamp. If I had been alone - I would have done the tour. However, my wife was with me and asking her to do a tour would likely have been too much to ask. I was happy she didn't question the 1 1/2 hour detour we took each way to get to Vestal, NY to get my amp/preamp refurbished!!!

Very nice !!
I just joined too, with a MC 2205 and a C 28, no tuner yet.
I may have to make a drive myself. Only six hours one way.
Sounds like it was well worth it. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Thank You - I don't believe I could be happier with this system. Cosmetically, all pieces are near perfect - and now fuctionally the same. To purchase these pieces locally and have AudioClassics refurbish with no Shipping involved(risk of damage) was great. They also seem to pair well with the Heritage Klipsch speakers.

Excellent way of doing things! Impressive system.

Long, long ago...My first Mac system was a 2105/MX113. I tried to make a budget compromise with the preamp/tuner combo but that only lasted a week. The dealer took the 113 back and I got the C28 and MR77. They served me well for 17 years. Enjoy.

While the Klipsch Chorus speakers sounded very nice with the McIntosh pieces - I was curious to hear my Quad ESL-63 speakers in place of Klipsch speakers. Hooked them up early this morning and just now listening to them. I've been searching threads to read of others experience driving Quads with McIntosh amps and most comments were favorable.

Attachments

• P1000714.jpg
    P1000714.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 70
Thank you for posting. I can't overstate how much I think of these pieces. They sound great and style wise - they hit a homerun for me. The build quality is exceptional. I've attempted to take photo w/o flash to show lights, which I believe look geat in a dark room.

You are most welcome. Those photos, sans room lights, look fantastic. Reminds me of college being in my small apartment room with the lights off with only my gear illuminating the room while I listened to tunes, except, Yamaha - not McIntosh. Could not even begin to afford Mac back then. Today, my Mac system is my Cadillac. Nothing like it. Continue to enjoy that exceptional gear. Amazing system. You really knocked it OUT OF THE PARK with that system! :)

-Billy

Yes, a great classic McIntosh system. One of my things on my bucket list before I leave this earth is a tour to McIntosh Laboratory and to Audio Classics. Especially reinforced by my return to the McIntosh family in my own system by the MA 5100 which recently became a part of my musical life.

I want to float an idea by everyone. We should call the original tube era the vintage era. The first generation of SS era the Classic era. Maybe some one could come up with a name for the equipment between the classic components and the 7000 series. Next came the century series as Frank Gow called the MC-150/MC300 etc. Then comes the Quad balanced era of recent times. So that leaves two eras un named. I Used a ton of the later 2000 series for discos, but I would hate to label them from the disco era. Mac called some of their 7000 series amps digitally dynamic. So does the Digital era sound right for them?

While the Klipsch Chorus speakers sounded very nice with the McIntosh pieces - I was curious to hear my Quad ESL-63 speakers in place of Klipsch speakers. Hooked them up early this morning and just now listening to them. I've been searching threads to read of others experience driving Quads with McIntosh amps and most comments were favorable.

I've listened to the McIntosh/Quads for several hours today. Was pleasanty surprised at how they performed. One note - I'm currently not able to get them off back wall as much as I would like due to space considerations on perpendicular wall. I have the Quads about 35" off rear wall for now. I've driven the Quads with several amps in the past year - including Parasound Halo A-21 and Monarchy SE-100 MkII Deluxe. My initial impression is the McIntosh pairs better with the Quads than the other amps. What stands out to me is the level of bass and also the tightness of bass. The McIntosh seems to provide all the detail I heard with the Parasound - but with enhanced bass performance. I'm running the C-28 flat for all controls. Based on what I'm hearing today - it is going to be tough to put the Chorus back into rotation. Also will be working on repositioning the Quads to get off rear wall another 12" to 24" to optimize soundstage and imaging..

Latest pairing with McIntosh pieces - JBL 4425 speakers which I have been attempting to sell locally. It seems every speaker I've hooked up to the McIntosh front end performs wonderfully. The JBLs never sounded better.

Attachments

• P1000848.jpg
    P1000848.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 91
It has been a while since I updated changes to my McIntosh System, so I thought I would post a few photos as it currently stands. I now have a pair of JBL-220 speakers hooked to system. I also purchased a MC-7270 amp locally today and have it hooked up in place of MC-2105 amp. It doesn't have the Cabinet, so I will be looking for one. Too soon to compare difference in performance between the 2105 and 7270 amps. I will say I have enjoyed the 2105 a lot.

Attachments

• P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010043.jpg
    P1010043.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 78
Nice! How 'bout a grill off shot?

They're both great amps and both represent excellent values in Mc amplification.

It has been a while since I updated changes to my McIntosh System, so I thought I would post a few photos as it currently stands. I now have a pair of JBL-220 speakers hooked to system. I also purchased a MC-7270 amp locally today and have it hooked up in place of MC-2105 amp. It doesn't have the Cabinet, so I will be looking for one. Too soon to compare difference in performance between the 2105 and 7270 amps. I will say I have enjoyed the 2105 a lot.
Nice! I'd imagine the 2105 and 7270 would sound quite similar?

They're both great amps and both represent excellent values in Mc amplification.

I'll take a couple of photos this evening with grills off. I recently purchased the L-220 speakers. I had researched them prior to purchasing - so expected them to be large and heavy. Even with the expectation of them being large - I was still "surprised" how heavy they are and the quality of the cabinets.

Here is a photo of system without speaker grills. Vintage McIntosh electronics with Vintage JBL speakers are special to me, as I was in High School/College when these pieces were new. I remember reading about them, but never being able to hear them - let alone own them at the time. For me, their sound and their style are both "special".

Attachments

• P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 85
I couldn't agree with you more. I am a new 2205, C26, and MR74 owner and loving it! Also bought locally through kijiji. Timing is everything! And I was in school when these were built as well. Eye candy and ear candy for sure!

You just never see those JBLs. Not many PR models out there . . . I bet those things sound just awesome with the Mc electronics.

I used the C28, MC2105 and, MR77 for decades plus a MC250. It don't get better than this IMHO.

The C28 is complex for a preamp. I had mine checked just before the warranty ran out at McIntosh and nothing needed. About '99 it started to sound tired so, I had it gone through and it needed about a dozen caps and I replaced the jack set. Considering I bought it in about '69 I would suggest it may not be as unreliable as some would lead you to believe. FYI, I did tend to leave it on 24/7 when I ran the MC250 I bought about the same time. The MC2105 did not move it out of the system until around 2000 when I got it.

Back
Top Bottom