Oops, I did it again!

We can buy it at the pump here as well. The Love's truck stop by the track sells it. At the track, you can buy up to C-16 by the gallon from the VP fuels truck. It's more fun to run on pump gas though because you can drive it anywhere and just fill it up.

Back in the day, you could buy Sunoco 260 with real lead. My Brother's '67 Plymouth 426 Hemi went through that stuff like there was no tomorrow. Thirty Nine cents a gallon in 1967, which was expensive at the time.

Last edited:
Anyway, I've got the output boards out of the new Mc2300, for the Transistor/heatsink upgrade. I've got some Nichicon Caps on order per the advice of Terry Dewick, and I'm going to upgrade the onboard Electrolytics just as soon as the piecemeal orders arrive.

Last edited:
Post a pic of two of the boards before and after. I'd be interested to see that.

I will do that. I'm waiting for caps to arrive from several different vendors. I'll lay out the entire smorgasbord for the photo op before I begin. I'm a bit skittish about soldering printed circuit boards. I'm used to using a 140 watt Weller Soldering gun with copper wire. Hopefully, the 45 Watt desoldering iron that I picked up will make this process easier.
Yesterday, I did an internal cleaning to deal with small rodent damage.I cleaned affected areas of the chassis as best I could, and sealed those areas with a dilute shellac solution. This method works 100% in terms of getting rid of any residual odor. The caps better get here in a hurry. The amp has been moved to the kitchen table. My wife is really happy about that. :D

The C28 I have was given to me by my fiance's father. They definitely suffer from a few challenges - the volume control / power switch and the main switching assy being the two most common. In all fairness, this is the first C28 I've had that I spent any time actually listening to.

It is currently not in use, but worked and sounded wonderfully when paired with my MC225. One day, I'll set that system up again but for now it's all parked.

OH, and like jdwk says, the C29 is a great place to start. They're getting harder and harder to find (reasonably) anymore though. Back when I got started with Mc, I used an MX110 as my main preamplifier for nearly ten years . . . you can surely do worse.

OH, and like jdwk says, the C29 is a great place to start. They're getting harder and harder to find (reasonably) anymore though. Back when I got started with Mc, I used an MX110 as my main preamplifier for nearly ten years . . . you can surely do worse.

I'm starting to think about S/N ratio as I go further into the Mc world, and I suspect that a SS preamp might be an improvement. That being said, I like the combo that I'm running now very much! I'll start keeping a peeled eye for a C29, or higher(?) in the meantime. I'm always looking for a bargain.
What model Pre are you running with that 2600 big boy?
I own at least a dozen guitar amps, so I know where this is all going in terms of my listening/entertainment interests.
I'm at least a few weeks away from putting my #2 Mc2300 back together (Some caps are coming from overseas) so I'm thinking about what I might want down the road in the meantime....:D
My big JBL 2445H/E Bay compression drivers should be arriving shortly, so that should be some motivation to finally complete the system that I've been talking about for some time now.

Last edited:
I use the MC2600 to run my big Altecs in the multi-channel / home theater system. I use an Integra DTR 9.1 receiver as a semi preamp/processor, using its internal power only for the center and surround speakers. [I do have a thread here that shows that system.]

I use the MC2600 to run my big Altecs in the multi-channel / home theater system. I use an Integra DTR 9.1 receiver as a semi preamp/processor, using its internal power only for the center and surround speakers. [I do have a thread here that shows that system.]

Speaking of 'a bit nuts', here is a photo of one of my driver boards (for the sake of scale) on top of the JBL 2445H compression drivers that arrived today.

Attachments

• 2445HDrivers.jpg
    2445HDrivers.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Speaking of 'a bit nuts', here is a photo of one of my driver boards on top of the JBL 2445H compression drivers that arrived today.

Those are 2445H (8Ω), would have been better to get 2445J which are 16Ω......

Those are early '90s drivers......I hated them, very brittle and nasty, need a lot of EQ compensation , the 2446/2450's were much much better drivers......

But if you get them on the right flares you might be able to tame them to some degree....
You could also help them by putting the 2450 diaphragms in them too.....

I think that there is a level of harshness to compression drivers in general. I have JBL 2425's in my Cerwin-Vega cabinets. They fire from the rear of the cabinets, and they sound fine.
I also have a set of Altec 808's with the 511-B horns that I was running with my Dynaco amps. I thought that they sounded very harsh.
The 2445's are going to be run with my commercial JBL cabinets, which are similar in size, and layout to 'Voice of the Theater' boxes.
Photos to come when I finally get everything put together.

Those are 2445H (8Ω), would have been better to get 2445J which are 16Ω......

Those are early '90s drivers......I hated them, very brittle and nasty, need a lot of EQ compensation , the 2446/2450's were much much better drivers......

But if you get them on the right flares you might be able to tame them to some degree....
You could also help them by putting the 2450 diaphragms in them too.....

Last edited:
Those are early '90s drivers......I hated them, very brittle and nasty
Just curious. What sort of application were the 2445's running in?
I bought them because they were 8 ohm. I actually traded away a pair of 2446J's because @ 16 ohms, they would've been a mismatch for my crossovers.

Just curious. What sort of application were the 2445's running in?
I bought them because they were 8 ohm. I actually traded away a pair of 2446J's because @ 16 ohms, they would've been a mismatch for my crossovers.

They were on radial horns (90˚and 60˚) in a PA system (swapped them for Constant Directivity flares all 60˚ x 40˚ in its last few years before we sold it off, we had 32 of them.....
Also used them in the Floor monitors as well.....The mids were 2 x 12" Roy bins which had JBLK120's, had a few E120's as well, and the subs were folded horn single 18"s which I were JBL K151.....had 40 of the subs and mid bins......

You can tame them with a decent digital crossover and some strategic EQ'ing....

My opinion is compression drivers of this era were harsh, but nowadays with the processing we have now that we didn't have back then you can get them pretty going pretty good....
Our current system uses B&C compression drivers in the top end, and harsh is not an adjective I'd use to describe them....

As much as things have got better, I still have a soft spot for those old drivers....

2446 had a different throat design than the 45's less distortion.....they are smoother than the 45's........the 50 diaphragm really helps...

Last edited:
They were on radial horns (90˚and 60˚) in a PA system (swapped them for Constant Directivity flares all 60˚ x 40˚ in its last few years before we sold it off, we had 32 of them.....
Also used them in the Floor monitors as well.....The mids were 2 x 12" Roy bins which had JBLK120's, had a few E120's as well, and the subs were folded horn single 18"s which I were JBL K151.....had 40 of the subs and mid bins......

You can tame them with a decent digital crossover and some strategic EQ'ing....

My opinion is compression drivers of this era were harsh, but nowadays with the processing we have now that we didn't have back then you can get them pretty going pretty good....
Our current system uses B&C compression drivers in the top end, and harsh is not an adjective I'd use to describe them....

As much as things have got better, I still have a soft spot for those old drivers....

2446 had a different throat design than the 45's less distortion.....they are smoother than the 45's........the 50 diaphragm really helps...

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep the 2450 diaphragm in mind if I can't get a desired response.
I think these drivers are not generally suited for home use, but away I go!

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep the 2450 diaphragm in mind if I can't get a desired response.
I think these drivers are not generally suited for home use, but away I go!

Yeah they are more directed at live sound reinforcement for sure.....

Oh well, keep us posted I will be interested in your results.......

Yeah they are more directed at live sound reinforcement for sure.....

Oh well, keep us posted I will be interested in your results.......

For sure I will. I've been proceeding at a glacial pace so far due to time constraints, but I'll get there soon.

Back
Top Bottom