Mac repair in San Diego ?

I've used both Fred and Mike( but not for Mac repair) and can highly recommend both of them.

"The go-to guy in SD is Fred Longworth" EchoWar

With Fred Longworth you might poetry, or a poetic recital or political insights, which is kind of fun. If you are so inclined.

He actually has a retail shop. Just don't go to his shop late on Saturday unless your are retired and have extra time. Fred does a broader range of audio gear. Mike is more 'high end' exotics. Yamaha M4 ? Maybe? Oh I've heard of that.

Mike is Laconic, fewer words, just the fact, mama. He works out of his house.
Mike's backyard is full of audio gear that even the good will would not take.
You got to see it to appreciate it. Has he every gotten ride of anything?

Mike likes you to bring info on your audio gear.
Fred seems to have more back up docs.
Mike doesn't like to do mods, like put in 5 way binding posts on original stuff.
Fred loves doing to this.

Both have quirks and both are good.

Michael

I've used both Fred and Mike( but not for Mac repair) and can highly recommend both of them.

"The go-to guy in SD is Fred Longworth" EchoWar

With Fred Longworth you might poetry, or a poetic recital or political insights, which is kind of fun. If you are so inclined.

He actually has a retail shop. Just don't go to his shop late on Saturday unless your are retired and have extra time. Fred does a broader range of audio gear. Mike is more 'high end' exotics. Yamaha M4 ? Maybe? Oh I've heard of that.

Mike is Laconic, fewer words, just the fact, mama. He works out of his house.
Mike's backyard is full of audio gear that even the good will would not take.
You got to see it to appreciate it. Has he every gotten ride of anything?

Mike likes you to bring info on your audio gear.
Fred seems to have more back up docs.
Mike doesn't like to do mods, like put in 5 way binding posts on original stuff.
Fred loves doing to this.

Both have quirks and both are good.

Michael
thanks! Mike has finished (in 2 days!). He said it was very labor intensive thus the 300 bucks... Kind of steep but he says its like new. I m picking up tomorrow. Maybe 300 well invested? I will report back

thanks! Mike has finished (in 2 days!). He said it was very labor intensive thus the 300 bucks... Kind of steep but he says its like new. I m picking up tomorrow. Maybe 300 well invested? I will report back

Yes, please let us know the work Mike performed. He should provide you with a written description of the work, although it might be handwritten, as was mine.

$300 is a chunk of change, ~5 hours worth.

Yes, please let us know the work Mike performed. He should provide you with a written description of the work, although it might be handwritten, as was mine.

$300 is a chunk of change, ~5 hours worth.

Yes I agree My guy in LA redid the my entire mc2300 for 400 WITH PARTS and 3 weeks labor. I am not really happy with the 300... but will see

Yes I agree My guy in LA redid the my entire mc2300 for 400 WITH PARTS and 3 weeks labor. I am not really happy with the 300... but will see

My MC2205 had a channel imbalance issue. Mike found that some driver board solders broke off, so reattached those. He also found some loose screws rolling around in one of the heat sinks, as well as replaced the two Power Guard lights.

Just over 2 hours, $140.

Very happy with the results, though. Channels are back to even, and the amp unexpectedly even gained some, well.. "gain". Citing the C35, the amp is now louder by 3-4 units on the preamp's digital volume.

To refine my thoughts a bit.

Fred W. is meticulous when you bring things in,(which is why you might not want to drop by late on Saturday). Fred W has an assistant who might do 50% of the work and who might take over from him someday but I can't see Fred W retiring. He has too much fun chatting with customers. He works at a slower more precise pace. A project might take long time to complete. He inspires confidence.

Michael Z. is a little bit scatter brained, you might get a penciled receipt on a piece of scratch paper and I don't know how he keeps things straight or gay in his work room. On one project I believe he lost a few minor sheet metal screws, but he saved a DOA e-bay purchase of mine and a Yamaha M4 which I had tried to repair and his prices were fair. He has a small room crammed full of stuff so he likes get things in and out fast. His work room is behind his house and it doesn't inspire confidence. However I've seen some impressive gear there waiting to be serviced. He has always been fair with me.

Michael

Got my Mac 6100 back from Mike. Yes he works in shack in his backyard surrounded by dead equipment but he turned around my grilled amp in 2 days and took the time to show me what he did and did a full test in front of me. He is a no BS-no-show guy.I would recommend him.

Back
Top Bottom