So which gear will you be trading in, and for what?

Who will be selling the trade ins?

Presumably the dealers. In hindsight, the fact they don't go into any specifics at all and say to ask your dealer kind of makes me wonder how "official" this actually is, presumably most dealers will already take trade ins and sell used McIntosh gear in their stores.

" Simply trade in your qualified mono or stereo amplifier, preamplifier, integrated amplifier or receiver and get up to 75%* of the MSRP you paid for it towards the purchase of a new mono or stereo amplifier, preamplifier, integrated amplifier or receiver."

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble...but most McIntosh from the 1970s IS usually worth 75% to 125% MSRP anyway.

No special deals here I'm afraid.

" Simply trade in your qualified mono or stereo amplifier, preamplifier, integrated amplifier or receiver and get up to 75%* of the MSRP you paid for it towards the purchase of a new mono or stereo amplifier, preamplifier, integrated amplifier or receiver."

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble...but most McIntosh from the 1970s IS usually worth 75% to 125% MSRP anyway.

Good point. Many items are worth more now than in the day.

and then when also consider the price of new McIntosh gear.......well.....you know how it goes.......

You'd get $333 for your original MC275.
I'll double that offer!

What are they going to do with that stuff?

I was wondering what would happen to all that stuff too.....maybe it would end up at Audio Classics?

I'll bet there's a deal going on like that somewhere........

and then when also consider the price of new McIntosh gear.......well.....you know how it goes.......

Precisely, Kev.

New McIntosh has plenty of markup to "show" inflated trade value.

The customer would be far better off negotiating the best cash price on the new and selling their own McIntosh on eBay.

McIntosh ain't in business to be Robin Hood.

Last edited:
I took advantage of this the last time to trade my C41 for a C2200. Boy I would like to do it again, and maybe trade the 352, for a 452, or the C2200 for a newer preamp. Just not sure if I can swing either one. Maybe a phone call is in order just to see what they are offering.

Precisely, Kev.

New McIntosh has plenty of markup to "show" inflated trade value.

The customer would be far better off negotiating the best cash price on the new and selling their own McIntosh on eBay.

McIntosh ain't in business to be Robin Hood.

I agree, but then I guess they lure you in with the convenience factor too, that would be very attractive to me if I was a US resident...
I dislike the hoo haa of selling stuff, it can be quite annoying dealing with certain people.....
At least this way, they'll take it off you and its easy......

I think the promotion will work, but it does certainly look better than it most likely is......

I took advantage of this the last time to trade my C41 for a C2200. Boy I would like to do it again, and maybe trade the 352, for a 452, or the C2200 for a newer preamp. Just not sure if I can swing either one. Maybe a phone call is in order just to see what they are offering.[/QUOTEt

I can't hurt to try. You can take it or leave it. The choice is up to you. :yes:

A lot of McIntosh owners take advantage of these trade in programs. Then, the dealer has all kinds of goodies to sell to guys like us. Some of them just want their money back out of it and that's it . . . so, there can be deals to be had.

Heck, my MA 5100 is worth double the original last list price. And it is going nowhere for now. It's had recent restoration work.

It all boils down to what the individual dealer will pay for a given piece of equipment and what they will accept for the piece they are offering for sale.

If, for example, if you happened to have a 1st generation, NIB, unopened MC 275, odds are are you could be walking out with an brand new MC 275 Mk(?) + cash in your pocket. In this instance, the 4 original Genelex KT 88s alone are worth more than the new amplifier - or at least as much.

McIntosh dealers have been taking pre owned equipment in trade for as long as there have been dealers - no different than the car business really. Product in dealer's inventory is the property of the dealer - not McIntosh, and it is he who has the final say as to what will be offered in trade and profit he will accept on the new item.

Last edited:
I spoke with Steve at Audio Classics today and learned something. The trade program does not include anything with video. So if you have a MX-134 or 120 etc, or a MVP player of some type you are out of luck. But if you Have a MC7106 or 205 and you want to up grade thats no problem.

I further learned that the MC 152 and MC 301 will both have autoformers and the best guess is they will sell for around $4500. Steve said they were expecting the pre-order forms to arrive next month. So if you want to be first on the list give him a call and put down your monies.

He also has a VPI Aries III with the epoxy D tone arm, HRX center weight and weighted turntable ring if anyone is interested. Throw on a Dynavector XX2 cartridge and you'd have a heck of a LP source. He says it sounds great with C2500.

Back
Top Bottom