Braun PS-500

manpikin

Anyone here have experience with the Braun PS-500? Never heard them, but I see one locally for about $200 - thoughts?

Also, is it possible to buff out scratches or scuffs in these plastic lids?

Thanks!

800px-Braun_PS500_silber.JPG

Yes, you can easily (well it takes some elbow grease) buff out scratches in clear plastic lids. Several ways to go. If you have a buffer, you can get special Plastic abrasive to put on your buff wheel that can bring back absolutely crystal clear look. Or..you can purchase a "kit" used for buffing out plastic automobile headlight lenses. The kit comes with a small buff wheel that fits on a power drill.

I went to look at it, it's a big and heavy one, can't say anything about how it compares to others.

Anyone here have experience with the Braun PS-500? Never heard them, but I see one locally for about $200 - thoughts?

Also, is it possible to buff out scratches or scuffs in these plastic lids?

Thanks!

800px-Braun_PS500_silber.JPG

Sorry, I didn't see your thread earlier.

I got my self one of these last year, basically because it is kind of Thorens TD-124-ish. I will not afford a TD-124, but plan to find one at a flea market or in a second hand store.

In the meanwhile the Braun is what I got. But that ain't bad, no, it is'nt bad at all.

I use the Braun with the original arm (why not?) and a Denon DL-103 and in my old ears this is a very nice match. At first it had some (a lot?) of rumble but sanding down (while turning) the idler wheel took that a way.

All I can say is that since I got it my Thorens TD-126 mkII with Ortofon OM30 has been out of work.

Peter Q.

We sold a couple of these when Braun was breaking into the market and it failed on looks; it seemed to remind persons of the likes of a Weathers, Rek-O-Kut, etc. i.e. the good old transcription tables that by then were out of style. Performance wise it was worth every penny of the asking price though the arm was not up to some of the arms out there at the time such as the SME. The one in the photo looks to be in really nice condition. Knowing about how they mod tables today if it were local I'd seriously consider it. I suspect it can be kicked up a couple of notches even with some damping and even more with a good custom plinth.

Sorry to "zombie" this thread but I have a chance at one of these tables locally and it looks like it might be really nice. Anyone have any further comments on them?

What sort of head shell does it take? What is the arm mass? I looked on VE and there was no info that specific there nor in the owner's manual, just says "suitable for all cartridges". What would be a good match? The one I am looking at has a V-15 mounted apparently.

Very sweet looking table and possibly a fine match to my tastes. Thoughts?

I would suggest the M95 would be as far up the vintage Shure ladder I would go. I found the Stanton 681E mated well with the arm.

I would suggest the M95 would be as far up the vintage Shure ladder I would go. I found the Stanton 681E mated well with the arm.
I have a 681, just needs a new stylus. I saw earlier in the thread someone had DL-103 and I have one of those as well, just needs re-tipped. Would that be a good choice as well? Anyone know the actual mass of the arm?

So, nice table? I love the design parameters and the look. How does it stack up relative to the more famous tables of the ilk do you think?

Yes, provided the idler is decent. On par with the Garrard 301/401 and Thorens TD124 all in stock form.
Yay! Thanks for the info! I lost all but one of my turntables in a lightning strike and the attendant fire back in the Summer and I need a minimum of two for the systems I run. When I mentioned this to a dealer friend last week he said he had this PS 500 and might I be interested. You bet! I am sure it will come set up and with any issues it might have looked into. In particular I lost a TD-125 and Technics SP-15 (used for transcribing 78s amongst other things) and the Braun might just cover both bases for me nicely.

Last edited:
Truthfully, my post would not have been," What do you guys think?". It would have been "Lookee what I just got". That is a totally gorgeous tt.

Truthfully, my post would not have been," What do you guys think?". It would have been "Lookee what I just got". That is a totally gorgeous tt.
What I am thinking as well. Honestly I have not got it in my hot little mitts yet as the dealer is putting on some RCAs, it having come with DIN plug. Looking forward to bringing it home in the next few days for sure. I had never seen one before so I figured I'd solicit impressions before making the dive. Looks like it is a no-brainer for me in this case. If it comes even close to a Garrard 301/401 or TD-124 then I will be a very happy guy. This is one table I could not get myself to re-plinth as the way it came from the factory is the epitome of simple beauty in my eyes.

To return to an earlier question, is this a standard headshell connection? If so going back and forth in set up for 78s will be straightforward.

I'm not sure about the headshell question, but a friend of mine has several of these--one since new, he tells me. He's a big fan, and he has a Michell Transcriptor, a Thorens TD-160 Super, other Thorenses, and other nice whatnots. That should tell you something. I don't think he'd let his go for even twice what you're talking about...

Brian,

Would not call the Weathers or the Braun transcription turntables. Home hi-fi they are. The Thorens TD-124 and Garrard 301 and 401 are, the upper end Rek-O-Kut turntables and tonearms also are.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom