refoaming JBL 4410 studio monitors

I discovered I had a pair of these lying around that have not been used for upwards of 20-25 years. Needless to say the foam surrounds of the large driver have deteriorated badly. Looking up old threads here I came across the name of a supposedly go-to place to get advice/replacement foams way back in 2009. The name was looneytune2001 on ebay. Does anybody still have knowledge of this source for refoaming parts for the JBL 4410 Studio Monitors. Can you suggest other good sources for these?

Speaker

JBL-127A-k-2.jpg

I've used Rick Cobb with great success. I'm also lucky to have a rather large speaker repair firm just down the road from me, so I can pick up correct surrounds without having to wait. :)

Like BMWCCA said, just email him to avoid eBay fees. I've bought four sets of foams from Rock so far and they've all been great. Good luck with the refoam!

I recently just refoamed a set of 4410s a few months back, Rick Cobb has a great recommendation here from many people when I was researching....like you, I looked up looneytunes2001 on eBay and couldn't find anything anywhere on how to contact him.
Good luck, mine sounded so much better after a refoam job....while your at it, you might want to clean the pots while you have them opened up!!

Thumbs up for Rick Cobb

I have used Rick on several refoams and can vouch for quality parts and service.:thmbsp:
J.T.

Many thanks. I have contacted Rick by e-mail and promptly received a reply with all the info I needed and plan to order the kit shortly. By the way I have long ago lost any manuals I might have had for the JBL 4410 Monitors. Is there any advice on a proper way to set the crossover pots for best sound?

I always set JBL pots to their indicated "neutral" or "0" and then fine-tune from there, starting with the mid (if needed) and then doing the tweeter (if needed). I seldom adjust them much from "0".

I've got a set that I want to recap, what is the best way to go in terms of which caps to replace?? All of them?? One channel is quieter than another, treble and bass are both quieter....should I replace all??

I've got a set that I want to recap, what is the best way to go in terms of which caps to replace?? All of them?? One channel is quieter than another, treble and bass are both quieter....should I replace all??

Any electrolytic caps in there, I would say replace because of degradation. That looks like three of them. If you want to replace the polyester cap, that's up to you. I typically do.

Back
Top Bottom