Rescued a pair of KLH Sixes today!

beatcomber

AK Member
I rescued a pair of long-neglected KLH Sixes today. I found them via a Craig's List ad with the obscure description "2 speakers for sale - Research & Development Corporation, Cambridge. Model Six" and no images. (Note that it didn't say "KLH" anywhere.)

I used to see old KLH and AR stuff all the time around here (duh!), but the good stuff is starting to dry up, it seems. I had a pair of re-capped Sixes that I sold to AK'er LexDM3 last summer, and have since regretted letting them go. I've been on the hunt for another cheap pair, so I'm looking forward to bringing this "new" pair back to their former glory!

As you can see, they are pretty sad looking, but I don't see any major structural damage. I think that all the cabs need is some sanding and re-staining. There is a wedge of veneer missing in the top edge of one of them, which I'm not sure what to do about, since my woodworking skills are minimal. (Maybe some wood putty will fill it in decently enough?) I will regard this as an excellent learning opportunity and a challenge.

I hooked them up briefly to my Yamaha CR-1020, and to my surprise they sounded pretty darn good, considering one tweeter is silent (which I fully expect to be OK after I recap the crossovers) and the woofers need to be re-doped.

I'm going to go ahead and order the x-over caps, and begin working on the cabinets tomorrow. I also need to order some re-doping goo from the Vintage AR guy on eBay.

I'm looking forward to this project!! :banana:

Stay tuned for progress updates!

Attachments

• 20150529_185720_zpszjohfvh3.jpg
    20150529_185720_zpszjohfvh3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 20150529_185651_zpsr6zvzqwn.jpg
    20150529_185651_zpsr6zvzqwn.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 283
Are these suddenly growing on trees? There's at least one active post already, a bunch that aren't too old. I have an early pair I need to work on. Have to order grill cloth.

Those look much nicer than mine. Read many good posts on them. Funny how so many have dead tweeters due to the networks. One of mine is dead. Hoping the same for mine.

Congrats!

Are these suddenly growing on trees? There's at least one active post already, a bunch that aren't too old. I have an early pair I need to work on. Have to order grill cloth.

Those look much nicer than mine. Read many good posts on them. Funny how so many have dead tweeters due to the networks. One of mine is dead. Hoping the same for mine.

Congrats!

I was thinking the same thing!

To the OP, give the cabs a light block sanding, and apply a couple coats of Watco's natural color oil, and the wood will glow!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Speaking of the cloth, I'm considering replacing that as well. The existing cloth is in decent condition, but it sure is ugly. Some Irish Linen (a la AR) would look better.

Nice! Love my Six's(and 23's, the Five's not so much). Great speakers, and will do nicely with your vintage gear(especially the 400). What's the serial number?

Last edited:
So, onto the topic of woofer doping...

I see that the Vintage AR guy's stuff costs $28, which is kinda pricey. Is it really that much better than, say, diluted silicone or latex or something like that?

Last edited:
I guess I found my own answer...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=615202

I also discovered that he offers a smaller amount for $15.95 shipped! :)

Caps and doping goo are now ordered.

Roy also can supply you with the sealer if needed more down the road for a future project. When I did my Six's, I applied two very thin coats of sealer, applying the second coat 24 hours after the first.

You're going to really like these when you're done.

Roy also can supply you with the sealer if needed more down the road for a future project. When I did my Six's, I applied two very thin coats of sealer, applying the second coat 24 hours after the first.

You're going to really like these when you're done.

Thanks for the tip!

A few months after I sold my previous Sixes to LexDM3, I was at his place checking out his Yamaha CR-1020 (which I bought), which he had hooked up to the Sixes. I was shocked at how good the combination sounded, and have been on the hunt for another pair ever since!

I am going to take my time with these and really do them right (within the limitations of my abilities).

It will be interesting to see how I like them compared to the beautifully restored AR4x's I bought from crestwood23.

Thanks for the tip!

A few months after I sold my previous Sixes to LexDM3, I was at his place checking out his Yamaha CR-1020 (which I bought), which he had hooked up to the Sixes. I was shocked at how good the combination sounded, and have been on the hunt for another pair ever since!

I am going to take my time with these and really do them right (within the limitations of my abilities).

It will be interesting to see how I like them compared to the beautifully restored AR4x's I bought from crestwood23.

The Six's are superior to the 4x's. I love them both, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Six's.

Nice that those are what I call "tweener" six's. Late enough that you don't have to get into them through the "peanut brittle tub" but early enough that they still have the wood veneer. Keep us posted!

Nice that those are what I call "tweener" six's. Late enough that you don't have to get into them through the "peanut brittle tub" but early enough that they still have the wood veneer. Keep us posted!

Whew, I was hoping they wouldn't have the peanut brittle inside. I haven't yet opened them up to look.

There appears to be date codes stamped on the front baffles, indicating that they were made in August and September 1971.

Scratches? What scratches? :D

Attachments

• 20150530_102839_zpsshhhyidp.jpg
    20150530_102839_zpsshhhyidp.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 20150530_114408_zpsks2vb3sn.jpg
    20150530_114408_zpsks2vb3sn.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 143
A lovely sight! Luckily you don't need to do veneer repair as I'm currently doing on my Twenty Threes! Your Six's wil look gorgeous when you're done.

Glenn

Thank you! I wasn't sure the scratches would buff out, but it's coming along very well so far. A little putty touch-up here and there is all I think it will need.

I followed your lead (in the AR3 thread) and used 100 grit paper. I'm going to give it another pass with some finer grit paper, to really smooth out the surface.

Last edited:
When I started that doping thread, I had no idea how controversial the subject was going to be. I learned a great deal; as is not unusual here on AK.

Are the sixes solid wood or veneered?

When I started that doping thread, I had no idea how controversial the subject was going to be. I learned a great deal; as is not unusual here on AK.

The information shared and stored on this forum is invaluable. I constantly do forum searches to find info!

Are the sixes solid wood or veneered?

Veneered. I'm guessing there's plywood under the veneer.

What's the serial number?

Speaker #1
s/n 165747
date code(?): 81171 (August 11, 1971?)

Speaker #2
s/n 168761
date code(?): 91471 (September 14, 1971?)

Interestingly, one of the speakers has two pieces of veneer covering the top. At first I thought it was a crack, but then I noticed that the grain didn't match.

Back
Top Bottom