ESS AMT1A-Bookshelf - did I scroe?

crazy-in-az

Uhhhh....
Subscriber
I found some ESS AMT1B's at a yard sale for $150. Turns out the woofers aren't original, but the tweeters work, and even with the cheap woofers they sound really sweet! The cabinets are still pretty nice, but the owner had to slightly enlarge the woofer opening.

The woman I talked to didn't know if her husband kept the original woofers, but I called him and left a message.

Did I scroe?

Actually, I got a Sony CDP-302 and STR-D865 receiver too, so the speakers were probably more like $100.:yes:

Also, does anyone recognize EIA code 581? That's the code on the back of the woofer. I can't find it anywhere when I use google.

Pics-

100_3366_zpsrbzrfnkx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_3367_zpsumyqvzfg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_3368_zpsysdjyqc3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_3369_zpsxulj2zdf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's awesome! I'd love to find an ESS with the grand heils at anywhere near that price!

If fully working, and if they're the usual model, I think the big Heils are worth more than $150.

And I think those are 1B-Bookshelfs... which I think are rarer than 1Bs.

Are you sure? I've Googled that model number, and there are some AMT1B's that look like mine. That, and it appears that the 10B has a 10" woofer. My pictures don't really show it, but the only modifying the original owner did was round the edges of the woofer opening, so I believe they originally had 12" woofers.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/ess/amt-1b.shtml

Also, the tweeters in mine aren't quite like the ones in the 10B's.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/ess/amt-10b.shtml

If fully working, and if they're the usual model, I think the big Heils are worth more than $150.

And I think those are 1B-Bookshelfs... which I think are rarer than 1Bs.

Did ESS use two different Heil tweeters in the 10B's? Mine look nothing like the pictures I've seen.

But I'm still a noob, and it seems you know a lot more about these than I do.

Did ESS use two different Heil tweeters in the 10B's? Mine look nothing like the pictures I've seen.

But I'm still a noob, and it seems you know a lot more about these than I do.

Nope, you're fine; they're not 10Bs. It took me a minute to remember the 1B-Bookshelf... or 1A-Bookshelf... or whatever the damn things are!

how the heck do you have 2 versions that don't even look alike atall talk about confusing people .owe well I didn't even think that they made a bookie ,learn new stuff all the time.

how the heck do you have 2 versions that don't even look alike atall talk about confusing people .owe well I didn't even think that they made a bookie ,learn new stuff all the time.

Confusing people- that's what I do best!

I guess I should look more closely at what I buy.

Well, I heard back from the guy. He said that when he lived in California the original woofers got "shredded" (probably foam rot), so he replaced them and threw out the originals:tears:

Oh well, that's how it goes. I'll see about getting a pair of older woofers on Bartertown, since new ones go for $139/ea. Ouch.

The woofers in there now are Pioneer A30FU20-52F's. They're not bad, but I know they will sound much better with the original woofers.

I just rubbed down one cabinet with coconut oil. I'll post a pic in a little while comparing the one I did with the one I haven't done yet. It's a pretty big difference.

Back
Top Bottom