Anyone know what these are?

barnoah

Obviously homemade... I think? Recognize the cabs or drivers? There is a University MidT driver for the HF....

Last edited:
Cabinets look DIY, and are beautiful.

Driver looks like a good big Jensen motor on an early Altec split rim basket.

I really don't know what it is.

Need to get those babies in a corner. Work like K-horns, utilizing the walls as a "horn".

Nice looking speakers.

Driver looks like a good big Jensen motor on an early Altec split rim basket.
Actually the rivet circle that mounts it to the basket looks just like what you would find under the tin can in a 603 motor. :scratch2:

The Enclosure looks like an early rear horn loaded Klipsch design that is depicted in the 60's book "How to build Speaker Enclosures" by Badmaieff & Davis.

Tools of the trade... Own a telescopic mirror? If so, get it out and circle the magnet. I'll bet the make / model is written on the side. :thmbsp:

I'm going to venture a guess and say Hollywood label 515...

Someone took great care to put those beauties together. If you find junk inside (not likely) it's because the originals have been replaced.
:lurk:

I'm going to venture a guess and say Hollywood label 515...
Except a 515 motor is larger diameter, would cover the area where you see the mounting flange and rivets, it's bolted to the frame from inside the frame, and would likely have "Altec Lansing" lightly engraved on the back of the magnet pot.

692077-great_altec_515_rwb_hollywood_matched_pair.jpg

Last edited:
If those are DIY cabs, the builder had serious wood working skills. They are very professional looking to me. Maybe a kit? Gorgeous either way.

They are a homebuilt Cabinart knockoff of the Klipsch shorthorn. The actual Cabinart facades do not have that deep bevel cut that this one has, nor do they have the baseboard notch this one has. Great attention to detail!

Here is a link to my Cabinart Klipsch licensed Shorthorn speaker. There are also some interior pictures of a University Baton loaded into a large speaker cabinet.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/album.php?albumid=152

picture.php

picture.php

I am running mine as a mono cabinet, currently driven by a Sansui QRX-3000. It really sounds good! I want to update the capacitors in the crossover at some point, but I may end up just building a new crossover and keeping the original intact. It is a pretty cool piece of circuitry.

The ones in your original post, are they yours?

Last edited:
They are a homebuilt Cabinart knockoff of the Klipsch shorthorn. The actual Cabinart facades do not have that deep bevel cut that this one has, nor do they have the baseboard notch this one has. Great attention to detail!

I think mine are Cabinart, and they do have the baseboard notch. Of course, since many of these were kits or DIY, I am sure the notch on mine could have been a user modification.

Back
Top Bottom