Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy.

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
Hay Speaker sub. http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

With all of the talk of the Andrew Jones Pioneers all over the audio world I was wondering if anybody here has tried the Affordable Accuracy line of modified AJ's from Philharmonic Audio. I'm considering trying the Monitors. My girlfriend just got a new Yamaha receiver and a stereo has been on her shopping list for moving out now that she has a professional job/career. A few friends have been running the AJ speakers. A biologist for the local DEP has BS22s with an Orbit and a Technics receiver. An ultrasound tech I know has the FS52s with a NAD integrated and an Orbit as well. Have told g/f that if she wants to pursue a full living room setup than the Affordable Accuracy towers may be the best bang for the buck. Thoughts? What say any users/owners? I sort of what to inquire about an audition as Philharmonic Audio is in DC and honestly that's worth the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard any of their speakers, but they sure look nice. The price on the AJ rebuilds is very attractive. If you get to hear them, please let us know what you think :)

The price on the monitors is so attractive that I may just buy those outright for myself and then see how they perform with my Headroom/Adcom system as well as her R-S201.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hay Speaker sub. http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

With all of the talk of the Andrew Jones Pioneers all over the audio world I was wondering if anybody here has tried the Affordable Accuracy line of modified AJ's from Philharmonic Audio. I'm considering trying the Monitors. My girlfriend just got a new Yamaha receiver and a stereo has been on her shopping list for moving out now that she has a professional job/career. A few friends have been running the AJ speakers. A biologist for the local DEP has BS22s with an Orbit and a Technics receiver. An ultrasound tech I know has the FS52s with a NAD integrated and an Orbit as well. Have told g/f that if she wants to pursue a full living room setup than the Affordable Accuracy towers may be the best bang for the buck. Thoughts? What say any users/owners? I sort of what to inquire about an audition as Philharmonic Audio is in DC and honestly that's worth the drive.

I have to agree, very good pricing. Personally I don't trust ANY product with "Accuracy" or "Accurate" in the name, pet peeve of mine. But, these are not priced like typical speakers that call themselves accurate. I've read many good posts about the AJ line and if these are "Tuners" (sorry couldn't resist), they just might be better still.

I too would be interested in your thoughts if you get them. I need to build some stands for my Vienna Acoustic speakers like those monitor stands. Those are nice.

I have to agree, very good pricing. Personally I don't trust ANY product with "Accuracy" or "Accurate" in the name, pet peeve of mine. But, these are not priced like typical speakers that call themselves accurate. I've read many good posts about the AJ line and if these are "Tuners" (sorry couldn't resist), they just might be better still.

I too would be interested in your thoughts if you get them. I need to build some stands for my Vienna Acoustic speakers like those monitor stands. Those are nice.

I have to figure out when I can "comfortably" swing the $175.

For now I'm going to continue following the threads on avsforum that Dennis Murphy posts in while catching up on the older Philharmonic Audio mega threads and save up for a pair of the AA Monitors as a birthday present to myself.

Still holding out for anybody here though who has first hand experience with the modded Pioneers though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking at their measurement graphs and price range......I would buy a pair of the center channel speakers and use them as an MTM pair of large stand mount speakers. Heck they are only $25 more than the small monitors.

Regards
Mister Pig

Looking at their measurement graphs and price range......I would buy a pair of the center channel speakers and use them as an MTM pair of large stand mount speakers. Heck they are only $25 more than the small monitors.

Regards
Mister Pig

What are the advantages of an MTM layout? Somebody on avs pondered that for a moment but decided against it due to the center channel's bass extension not going as low as the monitors.

What are the advantages of an MTM layout? Somebody on avs pondered that for a moment but decided against it due to the center channel's bass extension not going as low as the monitors.

Well the bass region looks quite similar, although the MTM might start rolling off a tad earlier. But with either speaker I would suspect they will be augmented with a sub for a full range sound, after all they are designed for that kind of application. With the MTM you get a more even frequency response, the rise starting at 10khz on the monitors is not there on the MTM. Also you gain 3dB in efficiency. In an MTM design, the woofers create a pathway that positively effects dispersion from the tweeter, at least that is the idea presented behind MTM speakers I have seen in the past.

Regards
Mister Pig

I just sent an email to info@philharmonicaudio last night regarding processing/lead time between order placement and shipping, shipping costs to my zip and in-home audition/return policy.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Fluance SX6 however in the sub $200 price bracket, while the SX6 beat the stock BS-22 according to some folks on the internets, Dennis Murphy's mods make his line into something special. I have never bought brand new speakers before and I'd like to have something I can afford, something that has some interesting thought put into it, and something that is rare and special.

that tweeter being used to replace the pioneer unit is truly excellent for a low dollar tweeter. i used them to replace the Vifa aluminum domes in my Madisound MTMs (which were among the very few aluminum domes that are sweet). PE sells them for like $17.

i am sure these modded pioneers are very good and priced as a bargain imo. i base that on seeing the nature of the mods and on my own experience with that tweeter.

I just sent an email to info@philharmonicaudio last night regarding processing/lead time between order placement and shipping, shipping costs to my zip and in-home audition/return policy.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Fluance SX6 however in the sub $200 price bracket, while the SX6 beat the stock BS-22 according to some folks on the internets, Dennis Murphy's mods make his line into something special. I have never bought brand new speakers before and I'd like to have something I can afford, something that has some interesting thought put into it, and something that is rare and special.

I think you can't go wrong with the AA Monitors at that price point. I've communicated with Dennis about his AA Monitors and ordered a pair for a workout/utility room. I was one of the rare few that did not hear anything special in the stock BS-22's. I purchased them for $59 dollars on an Amazon price match and after comparisons with the lowest level standmounts I had at the time (Polk RTiA1's and B&W 686's) they fell short so I returned them.

See here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=611171

Dennis told me that all stock BS-22's do not measure the same. Maybe the set I had were off - so to speak. Nevertheless, his mods make sense to me and it seems like they fix what I heard in the stock 22's. He sent me before and after plots of a recent 22 mod and the difference looks pretty good on paper. He also tests each speaker he mods so that's a plus. I'm looking forward to hearing what these ultra budget monitors sound like.

If I have time to audition mine before you order yours I'll let you know what my thoughts are. I don't have the RTiA1's anymore but I can compare them to the B&W 686's. If they behave I'll let them play with my B&W CM5's and Polk LSiM 703's just for fun.

I say go for it!

Last edited:
I think you can't go wrong with the AA Monitors at that price point. I've communicated with Dennis about his AA Monitors and ordered a pair for a workout/utility room. I was one of the rare few that did not hear anything special in the stock BS-22's. I purchased them for $59 dollars on an Amazon price match and after comparisons with the lowest level standmounts I had at the time (Polk RTiA1's and B&W 686's) they fell short so I returned them.

See here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=611171

Dennis told me that all stock BS-22's do not measure the same. Maybe the set I had were off - so to speak. Nevertheless, his mods make sense to me and it seems like they fix what I heard in the stock 22's. He sent me before and after plots of a recent 22 mod and the difference looks pretty good on paper. He also tests each speaker he mods so that's a plus. I'm looking forward to hearing what these ultra budget monitors sound like.

If I have time to audition mine before you order yours I'll let you know what my thoughts are. I don't have the RTiA1's anymore but I can compare them to the B&W 686's. If they behave I'll let them play with my B&W CM5's and Polk LSiM 703's just for fun.

I say go for it!

I understand if it takes Dennis Murphy a while to put them all together and get them shipped. If you already started the process you probably will receive yours before I do. I'd love to hear your impressions of them once you receive them. Please keep me in mind when you do!

I understand if it takes Dennis Murphy a while to put them all together and get them shipped. If you already started the process you probably will receive yours before I do. I'd love to hear your impressions of them once you receive them. Please keep me in mind when you do!

Absolutely. I should receive them next week. Hopefully I'll have time to give them a proper audition next weekend-that's the fun part of this hobby.

I will definitely provide you with some feedback.

Absolutely. I should receive them next week. Hopefully I'll have time to give them a proper audition next weekend-that's the fun part of this hobby.

I will definitely provide you with some feedback.

If you don't mind me asking, what did shipping run you? Granted it will be different for me depending on distance but I'm not that far from DC, roughly in the neighborhood. A few hours away and a few cities over. I suppose I just want to know what I'll be looking at in the mean time until they get back to me. (Included my zip in my email to them hoping it would help them estimate shipping).

If you don't mind me asking, what did shipping run you? Granted it will be different for me depending on distance but I'm not that far from DC, roughly in the neighborhood. A few hours away and a few cities over. I suppose I just want to know what I'll be looking at in the mean time until they get back to me. (Included my zip in my email to them hoping it would help them estimate shipping).

$22

All in, it seems like the AA Monitors are a bargain for a speaker that's voiced like the rest of the Philharmonic line.

Thanks vintagear. Hell even shipping sounds reasonable!

Back
Top Bottom