CR-1020 Where to start improving this receiver?

mightymax

I've had this receiver for a little while and it never really produced much sound as I would have expected. It would be turned up about 3/4 of the way before it would be considered loud. I finally figured out that after pressing the mute button a million times the sound was much louder and equal on both channels. I've been reading some posts and my first step will be the Deox cleaning. Hopefully that will resolve that issue but I would like to improve the receiver and make it sound brand new and maybe better than new. I have read posts on moving parts for heat dissipation, power switch problems and bad solder connections and re-capping but where should I start? I am new to this field of acoustic expertise but I am confident enough to tackle most of what I have read about repairs. Does anyone have a list of steps for refurbishing this and maybe a parts list and a recommended parts supplier.

Welcome to AK....
Deoxit is a good starting place. Don't forget the coupler switch on the rear panel.

Like most vintage receivers, the Yamaha will benefit from cleaning the switches. IMO, blindly trying to fix a vague problem by replacing parts is likely to do more harm than good. Do you have access to any test equipment, a scope or anything? Fixing is often trivial once you identify the exact problem. Also, where are you located? If you put even a rough location in your info, it helps us a lot.

I would like to improve the receiver and make it sound brand new and maybe better than new. .

You can't do that. This is an amplifier. Either it works or it doesn't. Yamaha knew what they were doing and this isn't junk.

I've had this receiver for a little while and it never really produced much sound as I would have expected. It would be turned up about 3/4 of the way before it would be considered loud. I finally figured out that after pressing the mute button a million times the sound was much louder and equal on both channels. I've been reading some posts and my first step will be the Deox cleaning. Hopefully that will resolve that issue but I would like to improve the receiver and make it sound brand new and maybe better than new. I have read posts on moving parts for heat dissipation, power switch problems and bad solder connections and re-capping but where should I start? I am new to this field of acoustic expertise but I am confident enough to tackle most of what I have read about repairs. Does anyone have a list of steps for refurbishing this and maybe a parts list and a recommended parts supplier.

Second deoxit, toothbrush, pipe cleaners, and a clean rag.

Then functional test every interface and every feature one at a time and write down the results. Suggest you connect a cd player and cheap speakers for this.

If you have the wherewithal, test the unit to specs; if not, find someone who knows how to do it and has the gear to do it.

Then remove the case, with the tuner needle to either side, and visually inspect the system looking for tobacco resin, leaking caps, brown spots on the boards, sub standard repairs, broken solder joints etc.

At this point, you should have a list of repairs and updates and can get to work.

I do have access to an oscilloscope and would like to give it a go. Does anyone know of any good videos on testing it. Also I would assume Yamaha has those specs in a technical manual hopefully online. I do live just 20 mins NW of Chicago and it would be great to be able to watch a pro in action if they don't mind someone watching over their shoulders.

She sounds like it just needs a tune up clean it up like they said recalibrate it should sound sweet just keep in mind it's only like and 80 watt amp there a real nice sounding piece don't be shy with the deoxit good luck

Second deoxit, toothbrush, pipe cleaners, and a clean rag.

Then functional test every interface and every feature one at a time and write down the results. Suggest you connect a cd player and cheap speakers for this.

If you have the wherewithal, test the unit to specs; if not, find someone who knows how to do it and has the gear to do it.

Then remove the case, with the tuner needle to either side, and visually inspect the system looking for tobacco resin, leaking caps, brown spots on the boards, sub standard repairs, broken solder joints etc.

At this point, you should have a list of repairs and updates and can get to work.
All good points. However, I've seen someone say what looks like leaking caps from their bases is really just overly used glue by the maker. If so, I tend to think swelled looking caps, especially when their sleeves have shrunk down from the top, is a better indicator of caps needing replaced. Most experts on the subject, seem to think 25 years is the most you should trust a cap to last. I reckon after 25 years age matters more than looks.

I do have access to an oscilloscope and would like to give it a go. Does anyone know of any good videos on testing it. Also I would assume Yamaha has those specs in a technical manual hopefully online. I do live just 20 mins NW of Chicago and it would be great to be able to watch a pro in action if they don't mind someone watching over their shoulders.

Check out ElPaso TubeAmps on Youtube, he does some great rebuilds and load testing. Former Mil and NASA tech, he is meticulous.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-f4XWraJ1H8NhKMxrpzqAQ

Jim Lindenus Youtube in Canada does a lot of videos too on all kinds of gear.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbi8mX2FEjeeZYIxaIsl-lg

Maxarcade, I think this guy fixes all kinds of gear at work, these are his home projects, also meticulous.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc--CFzOjEViwUwrMCOGVhg

All good points. However, I've seen someone say what looks like leaking caps from their bases is really just overly used glue by the maker. If so, I tend to think swelled looking caps, especially when their sleeves have shrunk down from the top, is a better indicator of caps needing replaced. Most experts on the subject, seem to think 25 years is the most you should trust a cap to last. I reckon after 25 years age matters more than looks.

Agree, electrolytic caps are fully depreciated. Replace all of them.

Also search the boards for posts on your unit, there are plenty of them, cut and paste the good stuff to a doc on your pc....

Back
Top Bottom