New $0 Cr-820: my god....the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giarcpnw

I dropped a bunch of old unwanted vinyl off at Goodwill on monday, they were already closed and there was a pile of stuff people were leaving at the door. I put my records down and spied a wood receiver cabinet under some jackets. Lo and behold a filthy CR-820. I logically deduced my albums were worth about the same amount this thing would be sold for there so I grabbed it and jammed it in my trunk. It obviously didn't work....

It worked. All of it worked! Even the original bulbs! I spent last night cleaning it. DeOxited all the pots and switches. Cleaned the face and wiped down the veneer cover. It looks brand new. So....I hooked it up.....

OH MY GOD! The sound!!!!! I can't believe this thing. I have a cleaned up Sansui 5050 I've been using and i'm kicking that thing to the curb. The 820 is just amazing with the Sanui speakers. SP 1001s. My Jazz albums have just come alive. So much presence and clarity. I had no idea! I can't even turn it up past 4 it's so damn loud.

I just had to share the best present i'm going to get this holiday! Huzzah!

Craig (first time poster)

Welcome to AK!

And if you're kicking that Sansui 5050 to the curb, hopefully you live nearby! :D

Thanks. The Sansui is going in the office. I'm no fool.

The 4 bulbs all went out this afternoon suddenly. Bummer. I'll prob throw in white LEDs now.

Pics tomorrow.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Welcome and nice score ! We like pictures around here so don't be surprised if you're asked to post one . Cheers .
Rudy .

Nice receiver. Might want to make a cash donation on top of the album donation to Goodwill the next time you are there - this is Audio "Karma" after all...

Welcome to AK, Happy Holidays!

Thanks. The Sansui is going in the office. I'm no fool.

The 4 bulbs all went out this afternoon suddenly. Bummer. I'll prob throw in white LEDs now.

Pics tomorrow.

Merry Christmas.

Welcome to AK .Merry Christmas back at you.
Your 4 bulbs are wired series/parallel. So two burnt bulbs in the right places will extinguish all he lamps.

Here are three pics. One with the Sansui.

0vyrp3.jpg

nUNMTv.jpg

JRtGd4.jpg

Last edited:
You did a fantastic job of cleaning I have to say...

Yeah - give them a donation for such a beauty, and you will feel better - and even better gears might turn up due to your Karma...hehe

just had to take my 820 out of the rotation to fix it due to the dreaded no click
and plugged in a pioneer sx 650
So I guess your bad karma for absconding with the Yammie came my way
The solution would be for you to ship that to me asap to rebalance the universe
JK nice score but I do agree with those who say you should add something to the Goodwill coffers

I've owned 3 Yamaha Receivers from that era and all were very musical

The last, 2020 , was outstanding

Good find !

Great find! I too came across this receiver at my local thrift. I think it cost me $40. The lights need to be replaced but the receiver is absolutely in mint condition! Whoever owned this unit sure babied it!

First you work on it: LED replacement of burnt out bulbs.
i6A3xh.jpg

Then you plug it in:
zR6FHZ.jpg

Then you play some jazz:
8U77DR.jpg

I was hoping the LEDs would have been a little warmer but it's growing on me. Only bummer is the tuner indicator must have a warm cast to it or discolored over time and mixed with the cool temp of the LED has given it a slight green cast. Not the end of the world. This thing sounds so good who cares anyway.

Love those vintage Yamaha receivers.

Nice job with the leds. You could retrofit it with incandescents if you decide you prefer a warmer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom