The use of "B" speaker outputs. Why do you do it?

Why do you use B speaker outputs

• Total voters
I don't have B terminals, but my pants are at standard height and my glasses are below average thickness.

I do not have any need for more than 2 speakers.

The 'A' terminals on my Onkyo TX-8511 (clamp style) are worn out and don't hold the speaker wire tightly enough.

I use them to run 4 speakers simultaneously in the same room, and I use the "C" terminal set to run a 3rd pair in a different room ( but not at the same time as A + B are in use )

KLH 17s (A) + modded Minimus 7s (B), stacked = much better sound than just A or B alone. The M7's definitely help out with the highs. :music:

Also have a Realistic amp with options for A, B, A+B and Quad. Quadraphonic really was not that bad of a predecessor to modern surround sound.

I have done it all:

-2 pair for 4 speaker HT + sub with 2 channel amp. (since the 1980s)
-a-b comparisons
-stacking but with different speakers.
-2d pair in another room

I find these really handy for having another set speakers but do not have both playing at the same time.
All my amps Denon AVR-2310 , rotel ra-01 & kenwood ka-3020se have these.

I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you...

No body has mentioned that the vintage Sansui on/off power switch is part of the speaker selection knob. The knob positions are:

power off

power on with speakers "A" selected

power on with "B" selected

power on with "A" and "B" both selected

power on with neither "A" nor "B" selected

Connecting the speakers on terminal "B" with "A" unoccupied allows one to power up the amp and let it settle in a few minutes before switching to the "B" position to connect the speakers.

The relay that waits a few seconds at power on basically does this for you, but maybe not as long as one would prefer.

Same process in reverse when powering off - with the speakers on "B", the power off is done by turning through the unoccupied "A" terminal without "B" connected, so the actual power off includes only a power off event to anything on "A", not "B"... in effect the "B" terminal is disconnected before power off.

I don't know the actual design/operation philosophy of combining the power and speaker selections this way, but it seems to offer some apparent possible fail-safe function depending on how you connect the speakers.

I used the B for bi-wiring a pair o' Vandersteens for a while. It was easier with a receiver that had crappy spring clip connectors. Like electricity, I take the path of least resistance.

So I was doing some searching whether I should do this, and I must say Kef 103.2's stacked on top of Bozak 305's sounds quite good! The Bozaks flesh out the bottom end, and the Kef's give some hi-frequency detail that the Bozaks are lacking. Listening at fairly low volume so hopefully no issues with blown tweeters or the like. Powering with Sherbourn PA 2-50, only 50 WPC, so I guess I'm running each set of speakers at 25 WPC, but sounds pretty good so far.

My use isn't an option... the kitchen system has a subwoofer (was originally a 3.1 set) and it's the easiest way to hook the sub to the amp (Marantz 1070)

I have wires hooked up to the B outputs of the living room system to a/b new speakers and test repaired speakers.

Back
Top Bottom